Claude Mathis hired as HC at Marshall, Texas

rockinl

1 minute ago, SOCIntellectualProperty said:

80? Wow

i see them big time real soon 

Pound for Pound no better football in Texas.  Those Beast Texas boys love some football and speed speed and more speed.  Now I will have a reason to go watch them battle dem Lobo's again.  I guess he wanted revenge for them spanking his Eagles.  Now he will have them each year as a barometer.  

Very good hire.  A lot of powerhouse Texas HS coaches have coached in Beast Texas including Chad Morris @ Elysian Fields, Lineweaver @ Commerce etc. I tell you Surratt @ Carthage is a hidden Gem that many will be after soon.   Gilmer's  Ex Coach Jeff Traylor was named the Assistant Head Coach @ SMU as Mathis was leaving.  That might have had some sting to it as well.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DevilDog said:

I know 3 of the 80 that applied. All good coaches, but none even close Mathis's resume. Guy has been successful everywhere he's been. Im sure going from one of the top dogs in HS, to a much lesser level for even a college coach, takes some getting used to.

Great hire for Marshall. You'll see much larger numbers on the sidelines now.

And its true, pound for pound, no better football, than East Texas, not only in Texas, but I think the country.

Be cool to see the Lobos beat him at a different school. :):)

• Like 2

Just now, thc6795 said:

Strange really, I wonder what happened at SMU? I thought that was a perfect fit for him. I thought it was a stepping stone into the collage ranks.

According to Mathis...""It comes down to me and my kids," Mathis said of his decision to return to high school coaching. "This time it's going to be for a while because I want to see my kids through school."

Ill take his word for it.

I dont know him, and may be way off base, but I think in some cases, egos get in the way, especially when you were the "cock of the walk" at a premiere Texas 6A, and now you're just another assistant. Really strange because by all accounts he was doing well at SMU, especially recruiting.

Most head coaches Ive known, including a couple of family members who coached at D1's, have pretty healthy egos, which isnt always a bad thing in the right circumstances, i.e., Nick Saban.

If I were a betting man, Id bet he wont be at Marshall in 5 years. I cant think of a reason why he would be. 

Then again, I thought for sure Surratt at Carthage would have stepped up by now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rockinl said:

I dont know him, and may be way off base, but I think in some cases, egos get in the way, especially when you were the "cock of the walk" at a premiere Texas 6A, and now you're just another assistant. Really strange because by all accounts he was doing well at SMU, especially recruiting.

Most head coaches Ive known, including a couple of family members who coached at D1's, have pretty healthy egos, which isnt always a bad thing in the right circumstances, i.e., Nick Saban.

If I were a betting man, Id bet he wont be at Marshall in 5 years. I cant think of a reason why he would be. 

Then again, I thought for sure Surratt at Carthage would have stepped up by now.

I wonder if Desoto finally winning State after he left had anything to do with it? Being as competitive as I am sure he is. I know it would me.

• Like 1

A lot of programs in Beast Texas 5A mainly would be bigger players on the Elite State level with this type of Coach. All those 5A teams have been powerhouses in the State and seemed to have dropped down in the last 20 years as 3A - 4A rose up with better coaching.  Now me being old School Beast Texas. These schools historically  were among the toughest District in Texas and nationwide.  Marshall, Texas High, Mount Pleasant, Kilgore, Hallsville, all at one time or another were powerhouse teams that went to toe with Longview, Lufkin, and the Tyler schools.  Sadly they are IMHO closer to 4A teams than 6A teams with  Kilgore being  the exception which is now in the 4A Classification.   He also coached Track at Desoto.  I will assure you there will be some Swag with those MAV's in the next few Years.  Count me in Being in Beast Texas for Marshall and Longview one of the oldest rivalries in the State. 

A lot of State Champs in a 60 mile radius of that area in Texas Football with legendary Football Players.  He knew what he was inheriting he is a Texas Boy. 

20 minutes ago, rockinl said:

According to Mathis...""It comes down to me and my kids," Mathis said of his decision to return to high school coaching. "This time it's going to be for a while because I want to see my kids through school."

Ill take his word for it.

He has a son who is suppose to be a pretty good CB, he may want to coach his son like McGuire at cedar hill.  He probably misses the Friday night lights n sense of community which I'm sure was missing at SMU.  He's probably the talk of Marshall now which helps feed the ego like you said

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilDog said:

A lot of programs in Beast Texas 5A mainly would be bigger players on the Elite State level with this type of Coach. All those 5A teams have been powerhouses in the State and seemed to have dropped down in the last 15 years as 3A - 4A rose up with better coaching.  Now me being old School Beast Texas. These schools historically  were among the toughest District in Texas and nationwide.  Marshall, Texas High, Mount Pleasant, Kilgore, Hallsville, all at one time or another were powerhouse teams that went to toe with Longview, Lufkin, and the Tyler schools.  Sadly they are IMHO closer to 4A teams than 6A teams with  Kilgore being  the exception which is now in the 4A Classification.   He also coached Track at Desoto.  I will assure you there will be some Swag with those MAV's in the next few Years.  Count me in Being in Beast Texas for Marshall and Longview one of the oldest rivalries in the State. 

A lot of State Champs in a 60 mile radius of that area in Texas Football with legendary Football Players.  He knew what he was inheriting he is a Texas Boy. 

I agree DD nothing against Marshall. I just think the move for him is weird.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

I agree DD nothing against Marshall. I just think the move for him is weird.

Personally I have no knowledge of this but Maybe with Coach Traylor (Former Gilmer HC) and Longhorns TE coach with Charlie Strong being named Assistant Head Coach at SMU might have stung the Ego of Mathis and making him conduct this move.  Just a thought again I am not professing knowledge of such.

• Like 1

Mathis said he wants to spend more time with his three children. His oldest child, Champ, is a sophomore football player at DeSoto.

"It comes down to me and my kids," Mathis said of his decision to return to high school coaching. "This time it's going to be for a while because I want to see my kids through school."

Mathis coached running backs at SMU. At DeSoto,  he was 74-18 in seven seasons and led the Eagles to consecutive state semifinal appearances in 2012 and 2013. DeSoto finished 10-2 in 2014, losing in the second round of the 6A Division I playoffs to eventual champion Allen.

Mathis will take over for Clint Harper, who left Marshall to be the Duncanville ISD athletic director.

"Everybody's been great here," Mathis said from Marshall. "A lot of people don't know about how big football is here, but I'm learning about it today."

Something else to consider, none of his time at SMU accrues towards his retirement through TEA and as a public school HC, it's not chump change.  I can't imagine his salary at SMU was significantly more than he was getting at desoto.  With him being the AD I'd bet he's in the low six figures.  Not a bad payday 

• Like 1