Illinois OOS Games

MA Fan

MA Fan,

A lot of games.....I filtered it down to the relevant ones for the Board.....although of course every game is relevant for the school`s that are playing them.

So here goes......

I predict a down year over-all for Illinois.

We`ve already mentioned that IL doesn`t allow teams to scrimmage other teams pre-season...so the first few games are choppy.....takes a few games to find out what the strengths are and what needs to be worked on.

Here are my predictions...

Louisville Trinity..31....Waubonsie Valley 14. Last year Naperville  Central drilled Trinity 38-20. WV has some talent but they were blown out 3 times last year...and it`s time for Trinity to re-assert themselves.

Cass Tech, MI..28....Chicago Phillips 20. It should be competitive.

St.Francis Academy will maul Chicago Simeon...48-20. Way to much talent for Simeon.

East.St. Louis won last year in triple overtime by 32-26. over Trinity Catholic MO. Could be same score again.....toss-up.

Edwardsville is bringing back a lot....CBC lost a lot......Still...I`m taking Christian Brother`s MO by a TD..28-21.

Homewood-Flossmoor..27...Penn Mishawaka  Indiana 24. Again..really a toss-up.

LaGrange Nazarath Academy...37....St.Louis Cardinal Ritter  28. Lot`s of D1 talent from CR..but Naz is really good.

3 games between IL and Ohio......

Massillion Perry at Naperville North...hard to predict...I`ll take NN in a close one 21-20.

Naperville Central at Pickerington Central.....this is a rough game for NC...they lost 3 OL from last year..and a 4* QB who is at Western Michigan. They have lot`s of speed and good skill players but they are severely out-sized by PC. PC will wear them down 38-21.

Loyola Academy against St.Ignatius at a neutral site.....Ames field in Michigan City Indiana...Really nice little Stadium...seats around 4K......2 heavyweights going at it.......I feel that LA can win...but again without the benefit of pre-season scrimmages...LA will fall short by 21-17.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Zulu1128,

They should all be very competitive games....... Naperville Central lost too much from last year..... But if Pickerington Central plays sloppy or over confident......NC is capable of springing the upset. I am thinking about going to the LA / Iggy game.....later in the year LA also plays Chicago St.Ignatius Prep. I wish Arch Bishop Moeller  and Chicago Mt.Carmel would schedule a home/home. Mt.Carmel beat Moeller 20-6 in 1990...it would be a great game.

Bones,

I do agree....I`ve heard some really impressive things about Sam Jackson. If the line can protect him he can unleash his full arsenal ...with very good skill players to make it happen. The only game that I see as lost is Simeon against SFA. This team is ranked top 5 Nationally and their size and talent is scary. Simeon is playing Southfield Christian ,Mi after that game.....I feel sorry for that team.

Not much buzz  about Lincoln-Way East......Their Roster is impressive....I would like to see them start Scheduling OOS.

17 hours ago, abbatt said:

Zulu1128,

They should all be very competitive games....... Naperville Central lost too much from last year..... But if Pickerington Central plays sloppy or over confident......NC is capable of springing the upset. I am thinking about going to the LA / Iggy game.....later in the year LA also plays Chicago St.Ignatius Prep. I wish Arch Bishop Moeller  and Chicago Mt.Carmel would schedule a home/home. Mt.Carmel beat Moeller 20-6 in 1990...it would be a great game.

I vaguely recall that MC/Moeller game...was actually worse than the score if memory serves. 

Nolebull813,

Yes.....several years ago a team from Illinois ...St.Edwards Elgin played against a Fl team. in Orlando.....I think they were called Treasure Coast. TC scored on the first play from scrimmage.. but St.Edwards dominated after that and won 30--14.

Hoe Academy is a Chicago public team that is fairly decent......they lost a mind-blowing play-off game several years ago by a score of 98-76 !!!!!  I believe that they are a 3A school in Illinois. Pretty down there on the ladder. Some good talent though for a small school. Just to put this in perspective ...they actually played Chicago Mt. Carmel in a non-conference game either last year or the year before ...It was 49-0 at the half...It ended 56-7. Carmel could have dropped 80-90 points if they had wanted to.

13 hours ago, abbatt said:

Bones,

I do agree....I`ve heard some really impressive things about Sam Jackson. If the line can protect him he can unleash his full arsenal ...with very good skill players to make it happen. The only game that I see as lost is Simeon against SFA. This team is ranked top 5 Nationally and their size and talent is scary. Simeon is playing Southfield Christian ,Mi after that game.....I feel sorry for that team.

Not much buzz  about Lincoln-Way East......Their Roster is impressive....I would like to see them start Scheduling OOS.

Agreed on the Simeon / St Francis game. Simeon has as much "non recruited talent" as most good programs around the country but they are still and underfunded CPL program with the severe IL preseason restrictions.

Imo, SF is the east coast version of MD... Roster over 100, too much Poggi money, huge coaching advantage and the talent is all handpicked. While I would love to see Simeon make this a competitive game, matching them up with Narbonne would have been much more interesting.

Gospeeder,

Good read on the Simeon/SFA game. I`m amazed that SFA even agreed to this game. They have a nothing to gain and much to lose scenario. If they don`t blast Simeon it would be surprising....maybe they see the game as a breather for some of their tougher games. I know that Simeon is well-coached and will battle hard. Simeon has actually fared well OOS in the last 5 years. They beat-up a Mississippi team several yrs. ago 47-6.....pounded An Ohio defending champ last year...Trotwood-Madison...33-6 and hung tough with Cass tech ,losing 17-12. But....SFA is an Elite level team....of course at the end of the day you either win or lose and it will be a good measuring stick for Simeon and Illinois football.

• Like 1