Cocoa (FL)

FootballGuy

1 hour ago, Tiger2016 said:

So Cocoa would play the 2 time National Champs Bishop Gorman at their place but would not travel to play a 3rd round GA playoff loser?

Did Rush and Wilks ever discuss a game? If so, do you happen to know the specifics discussed?

What we do know is that Colquitt thought this game was a go when they turned in their schedule to the GHSA, as it is listed on the official state governing body website. 

The talks had been going on as early as the last games of last season for Colquitt as the head coach announced that Colquitt would be playing a Cali team and a Florida state champ. Later the names of the teams got dropped on the public as Cocoa and Vista Murrieta. 

Again... the game with Cocoa was deemed official enough by Colquitt that it was turned in to the GHSA. Now, why would Colquitt turn that game in if they weren't planning on playing them? That game was only edited out of the GHSA official listing on April the 12th. 

The coach announced it via live radio broadcast in December. The local paper announced it in January, and The GHSA announced it near the end of March. 

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/california-team-vista-murrieta-to-play-at-colquitt-county-high/article_5699d7ac-dde8-11e6-a1e2-3b16cb81403a.html

In 2017, Colquitt County will play two defending state champions, one being from Florida. For the weekend of Homecoming at the end of October, the Packers are slated to face Cocoa High. The Tigers won Florida's 4A Class with playoff wins against Booker T. Washington of Miami and Bolles of Jacksonville. 

That should cover whether or not the AD's or coaches discussed a game or not. It should also cover some specifics such as date and location. Other than that, who knows why the game got changed last minute. Like last minute after Colquitt already turned in their completed schedule to the GHSA. 

19 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

What we do know is that Colquitt thought this game was a go when they turned in their schedule to the GHSA, as it is listed on the official state governing body website. 

The talks had been going on as early as the last games of last season for Colquitt as the head coach announced that Colquitt would be playing a Cali team and a Florida state champ. Later the names of the teams got dropped on the public as Cocoa and Vista Murrieta. 

Again... the game with Cocoa was deemed official enough by Colquitt that it was turned in to the GHSA. Now, why would Colquitt turn that game in if they weren't planning on playing them? That game was only edited out of the GHSA official listing on April the 12th. 

The coach announced it via live radio broadcast in December. The local paper announced it in January, and The GHSA announced it near the end of March. 

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/news/ga_fl_news/california-team-vista-murrieta-to-play-at-colquitt-county-high/article_5699d7ac-dde8-11e6-a1e2-3b16cb81403a.html

In 2017, Colquitt County will play two defending state champions, one being from Florida. For the weekend of Homecoming at the end of October, the Packers are slated to face Cocoa High. The Tigers won Florida's 4A Class with playoff wins against Booker T. Washington of Miami and Bolles of Jacksonville. 

That should cover whether or not the AD's or coaches discussed a game or not. It should also cover some specifics such as date and location. Other than that, who knows why the game got changed last minute. Like last minute after Colquitt already turned in their completed schedule to the GHSA. 

Something else that could have changed the course of that game is the Brevard county school board. The school board has the final say so and Brevard teams have to wait on their approval. That's why the 2 year deal with rockhurst fell through for Cocoa. The school board approved the first year at home for Cocoa but wanted to wait to approve the away game for the next season in kansas city 

Edited by Keemd91
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keemd91 said:

Something else that could have changed the course of that game is the Brevard county school board 

Yes. I don't know what happened, but really doubt it was Colquitt or the GHSA that created the issue that caused the game to change considering all the circumstances and announcements from this end in Moultrie and Georgia. 

Same thing happened to Colquitt last season with the Bessemer City Alabama crew. 

When you think the schedule is a lock, and then something like this happens, it leaves you scrambling to fill the game. I know the favorite thing is to try shooting Colquitt for playing ISB or Holy Trinity Episcopal, but, these were quickly hashed out replacement games for teams that fell through late in the scheduling, even after the official GHSA deadline for turning in schedules. 

I don't see Cocoa as "pussies" because this happened. We all know they go jet setting and play big boys all the time. It's just something that happens. Sucks but it does happen sometimes. 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2017 at 4:44 PM, Nolebull813 said:

They have been the same exact team the last decade. Exact same team. 

They have a small roster and will play anyone no matter the odds stacked against them. 

The only difference between this past year and the last 10 other years is Booker T was down. 

They follow a strict formula too. Lose oos games.  Beat a bunch of garbage teams. Lose in the playoffs. Like I said it took the best team in a decade and a down Booker T team to scrape a 4A title. 

I would have them in the state 10-20 range on any given week and any given year 

So, THAT'S why they reneged on playing Colquitt, after it had been finalized?

6 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

The GHSAA also said we playing Camden County this year but we not

My point? 

The GHSAA releases wayyy too early and apparently doesn't fully confirm info from both sides before posting it 

The point of that was, if there is a contract, the Georgia team involved has a deadline to turn in their schedules to the GHSA. If they're turning it in, they have the belief the game is a go. 

The GHSA doesn't need to confirm from the opposing team. The member school saying they have the game is good enough normally. 

This one fell through after the GHSA deadline. It is what it is. 

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The point of that was, if there is a contract, the Georgia team involved has a deadline to turn in their schedules to the GHSA. If they're turning it in, they have the belief the game is a go. 

The GHSA doesn't need to confirm from the opposing team. The member school saying they have the game is good enough normally. 

This one fell through after the GHSA deadline. It is what it is. 

In Theory that should work but in both cases they have info that needs to be corrected in a hurry bc football season almost here and Camden needs a September 1st game and unless i missed it then colquitt will have to find game in place of the cocoa game that fell through 

Just now, Columbiafan said:

In Theory that should work but in both cases they have info that needs to be corrected in a hurry bc football season almost here and Camden needs a September 1st game and unless i missed it then colquitt will have to find game in place of the cocoa game that fell through 

Colquitt filled their date with that Holy Trinity Episcopal team. 

I think Camden was trying to hold Columbia to a contract but was either unable to enforce it or decided it wasn't worth the argument. Now they are still looking for a replacement unless they recently filled it.  The official GHSA schedule still has Columbia listed, so the date hasn't been corrected or updated since the last update on the 12th.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Colquitt filled their date with that Holy Trinity Episcopal team. 

I think Camden was trying to hold Columbia to a contract but was either unable to enforce it or decided it wasn't worth the argument. Now they are still looking for a replacement unless they recently filled it.  The official GHSA schedule still has Columbia listed, so the date hasn't been corrected or updated since the last update on the 12th.

I'm not sure what the story is i only know through the Columbia side that they won't be playing, how it ended between the 2 teams I'm not sure but the important part is that Camden needs game to fill that week or to fill a different week if they choose to make that their bye Week 

24 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think Camden was trying to hold Columbia to a contract but was either unable to enforce it or decided it wasn't worth the argument.

Probably figured it wasn't worth their time. 

I know the FHSAA makes it VERY easy in these scenarios for its member schools, but am not 100% certain how it would all go down when involving a GA team. 

• Like 1