Trinity League goes 5-0 in Week 0

Sammyswordsman

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

100%. It’s something that’s taught and accentuated all four years at both institutions. When my son was confirmed, he actually chose the name “John Bosco” rather than just John. Hope this helps. 

Ah, interesting. So your son knew, eh? You think a lot of other kids chose "John Bosco" as their confirmation names? Or, let's back up. What percentage of the football players on those teams do you think were even confirmed? Don't be silly. Probably more now at DBP than when they had the real good teams, and SJB has most likely now exceeded the percentage of non-catholic kids than DBP had in their heyday, but not at all in line with the school's general student population at either place.

I hope it's a great game.

But the tweets or instagrams or whatever referring to these kids "celebrating a Salesian brotherhood" is ridiculous. The kids might think it's cool to each have "Bosco" in their name, but I don't think there would be anywhere close to 100% of the kids be able to answer what Salesian means without cheating off of their backup. Now, there might be a priest from each school at the function discussing Salesian brotherhood. Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

So wrong and racist. Unless you live it, you'll never know the truth. The impact a Salesian education has on these student-athletes is priceless and everlasting. Unless you've experiences a Xaverian, Salesian, Christian Brothers, Jesuit or Marianist education, please refrain from these conversations. You truly have no clue. 

8 years at Catholic grade school, and then 4 at a Jesuit high school. Dad went to Jesuit high school, Mom went to Sisters of Something high school, 3 brothers went to Jesuit high schools, 1 brother went to Christian Brother high school, 5 sisters went to high schools run by whatever order of nuns, uncle was a Jesuit priest, all cousins on both sides went to catholic schools through high school, if not beyond.

So you should now realize I needn't refrain from these conversations, and, in fact, do have a clue.

Again, I hope the football game is a fun one. And the brotherhood thing sounds cool, but is a long shot from being embraced by 100% of the players.

2 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

8 years at Catholic grade school, and then 4 at a Jesuit high school. Dad went to Jesuit high school, Mom went to Sisters of Something high school, 3 brothers went to Jesuit high schools, 1 brother went to Christian Brother high school, 5 sisters went to high schools run by whatever order of nuns, uncle was a Jesuit priest, all cousins on both sides went to catholic schools through high school, if not beyond.

So you should now realize I needn't refrain from these conversations, and, in fact, do have a clue.

Again, I hope the football game is a fun one. And the brotherhood thing sounds cool, but is a long shot from being embraced by 100% of the players.

@GardenStateBaller is a joke.

Believe dat.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

Ah, interesting. So your son knew, eh? You think a lot of other kids chose "John Bosco" as their confirmation names? Or, let's back up. What percentage of the football players on those teams do you think were even confirmed? Don't be silly. Probably more now at DBP than when they had the real good teams, and SJB has most likely now exceeded the percentage of non-catholic kids than DBP had in their heyday, but not at all in line with the school's general student population at either place.

I hope it's a great game.

But the tweets or instagrams or whatever referring to these kids "celebrating a Salesian brotherhood" is ridiculous. The kids might think it's cool to each have "Bosco" in their name, but I don't think there would be anywhere close to 100% of the kids be able to answer what Salesian means without cheating off of their backup. Now, there might be a priest from each school at the function discussing Salesian brotherhood. Hope that helps.

As someone who is not "big C" Catholic but attended SJB, I absolutely knew what it meant to be Salesian. I can't speak for every current student or alumnus, but your take is very clearly coming from a place of ignorance, hate, jealousy or some combination thereof. Does every kid go to SJB primarily because it's a Salesian school? Of course not. Kids attend SJB for different reasons (myself having been one of those kids) but when you show up on campus and join that brotherhood it absolutely does mean something regardless of whether or not you are Catholic or confirmed or whatever arbitrary criteria you want to come up with.

This is not a new thing for SJB and it's not just some show they put up for social media. It's not hard to go back through the years and find them having prayers or meals with other teams.

• Thanks 1