Throwback Thursday: Texas Style ET Trojans

DevilDog

On the old Forum I did a throwback Thursday of game in Texas and I know ATL and others liked it. So from now on I will do a throwback Thursday showcasing Texas vs. OOS  and will do it by schools.  1st up the Gold Standard of Texas vs. OOS the Mighty Trojans of Euless Trinity.  Please let me know how you like this.  Never seen this done by anyone.  As usual they will have tough OOD schedule this year as well.  They open on the Road @ Tulsa Union Sep 01, and then @ home Against Spring Westfield.  

OOS games posted in order of year played

11 -1 Trinity wins over LA. 2A Champ John Curtis 28-12.  This game was at old Texas Stadium during the old Herbstreit Classic. JC came to Texas with a storm brewing back home.  I was there they were a huge team and drove for a TD on the opening Kick off.  Enjoy more to come from the Mighty Trojans as they are this week's featured OOS Texas Powerhouse.

This was a physical hard hitting Game

• Like 1

2010 Cocky Arkansas Private comes to Texas.  I was at this one and they came out with a presentation like a rock star on the big screen hollering the Champ is here.  They were and Trinity hung 80 on the Arky  Champs.  This game was featured on a PBS special about Concussions as ET was laying their asses out all game.

ET 80 - Shiloh 26

http://www.maxpreps.com/video/watch.aspx?videoid=3d083468-4b5c-4faf-ab8e-9a67d0c9f1f5

The very next week ET came back home for a game I watched at HEB in a OK vs. TX double header.  Desoto destroyed Jenks the same day which you will see in the following weeks for Desoto OOS throwback.  Also Desoto killed ET the next week. ET had Bellevue, Union and Desoto in successive weeks.

Trinity beat the OK big boy State runner ups 21 -18.  This was a physical game as well Union had a huge team.  ET goes 4 -1 vs. OOS all games against Teams that won or played for State.

2013 They again take on 2 OOS champs Jenks at SLC Dragon Stadium and on the road against Bentonville, Ar.  I was at the Jenks game they had one of the biggest and best Secondary's I have ever seen in HS football led by Parker now at OU.  Good game ET drops to 4-2 in OOS games.  .  This was a very good game.  Playoff atmosphere.  I have much respect for Union and Jenks tough ass teams.  L 27 - 23.  VGG

euless trinity vs. eastern Christian: Drove out to this one after work.  ECA was coming in nationally ranked prior to ET hurting their qb.  They came and stayed in TX for 3 weeks.  They were healthy and ET goes 5-2 OOS  winning 41-32.  ECA leaves TX 0-3 getting beatdown by Desoto and Coppell losing worse each week.  They got beat up here for sure.

2015 the Hype game TX. vs. Cali.  Haka vs.Veer.   ET beats Cali Champ in a very good game with some talented kids on both sides of this one.  I was live at this one. 

Much respect for DLS. great kids in a hard hitting ass football game.  The TV didn't do it justice. Ask anyone that was there. Pads were popping.  2 run it down your neck teams.

ET welcoming DLS to Texas

ET 6-2 vs.OOS whipping State Champs xD^_^

• Like 1

Finally ET smokes Broken Arrow who was undefeated against Tx beating Permian and Coppell in OT here a few years back and actually led ET early. BA is an athletic team and 3rd among the Big 2 in Mobilehoma.  ET goes 2-1 vs. OK all time and wins 38 -16.  This is one of the worst ET teams going 7-4 in the 2nd year without Lineweaver.

Finishing 7-2 OOS all time. 

Finally as most know the 2009 State champs have had some tragedy lately and this week they lost the QB who won State in 2009 WIllie Hubbard

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article145557509.html

Willie Hubbard, quarterback for the state champion Trinity Trojans, died Friday from a rare and aggressive cancer at age 25

Willie Hubbard led his team to a state championship as a quarterback at Euless Trinity High School, but he is best remembered for the way he lived his life off the field.

“He was passionate about life and about others. He was a one-of-a-kind guy,” said Keta Hood, Hubbard’s cousin.

Hubbard, 25, was play-fighting with one of his brothers in January when he noticed shortness of breath. He went to three doctors who all confirmed the same thing: stage four cancer. A mass had been growing around his heart for seven years without any indication, Hood said.

“Obviously he had his questions about why,” Hood said. “But he found purpose in it.”

The mass spread quickly. Doctors told him he didn’t have much time, and on April 14 at 4:27 a.m., Hubbard died in his sleep at his Fort Worth apartment.

Finally not an OOS game but Hubbard winning STATE aginst Westlake in 2009 in OT.  He is number 16 @ qb.  This team also lost players to homicide and Car accidents.  He threw the game winning touchdown to Star WR Brandon Carter.

Hubbard’s death is not the first loss the championship team has endured since winning in 2009.

Polo Manukainiu, 19, a sophomore on the team in 2009, died in 2013 in a single-vehicle crash in rural New Mexico. His younger brother, Lolo Uhatafe, 14, and another Trinity teammate, Gaius Vaenuku, 18, also died in the crash. They were driving back to Texas from a trip to Salt Lake City.

Terrence Tusan, 22, a running back for the Trojans in 2009, was shot in December 2014 after he was involved in a home-invasion robbery in Denton, police said. He was home on college break from Howard University in Washington, D.C., where he had played football.

Former Trojan Eryon Barnett, 24, died in the hospital in July 2015 after suffering complications from pancreatitis. He had just graduated from Montana State University, where he played football, and wanted to move closer to his 2-year-old son, his brother Chris Barnett told the Star-Telegram.

RIP

5 hours ago, DevilDog said:

On the old Forum I did a throwback Thursday of game in Texas and I know ATL and others liked it. So from now on I will do a throwback Thursday showcasing Texas vs. OOS  and will do it by schools.  1st up the Gold Standard of Texas vs. OOS the Mighty Trojans of Euless Trinity.  Please let me know how you like this.  Never seen this done by anyone.  As usual they will have tough OOD schedule this year as well.  They open on the Road @ Tulsa Union Sep 01, and then @ home Against Spring Westfield.  

OOS games posted in order of year played

11 -1 Trinity wins over LA. 2A Champ John Curtis 28-12.  This game was at old Texas Stadium during the old Herbstreit Classic. JC came to Texas with a storm brewing back home.  I was there they were a huge team and drove for a TD on the opening Kick off.  Enjoy more to come from the Mighty Trojans as they are this week featured OOS Texas Powerhouse.

This was a physical hard hitting Game

Even game.

Trinity caught a break on a punt hitting a Curtis kid in the helmet, one scramble pass and great catch by Trinity WR and 11 Curtis penalties finally did Curtis in.

Herbstreit Texas: Big Plays Vault Trinity

Team statistics

First downs: Curtis 11, Trinity 13

Rushes-yards: Curtis 38-147, Trinity 36-145

Passing: Curtis 4-7-0-42, Trinity 7-13-0-129

Total plays-yards: Curtis 45-189, Trinity 49-274

Turnovers: Curtis 1, Trinity 0.

Penalties: Curtis 11-73, Trinity 4-30.

Possession: Curtis 22:21, Trinity 25:39

3 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

Even game.

Trinity caught a break on a punt hitting a Curtis kid in the helmet, one scramble pass and great catch by Trinity WR and 11 Curtis penalties finally did Curtis in.

Herbstreit Texas: Big Plays Vault Trinity

Team statistics

First downs: Curtis 11, Trinity 13

Rushes-yards: Curtis 38-147, Trinity 36-145

Passing: Curtis 4-7-0-42, Trinity 7-13-0-129

Total plays-yards: Curtis 45-189, Trinity 49-274

Turnovers: Curtis 1, Trinity 0.

Penalties: Curtis 11-73, Trinity 4-30.

Possession: Curtis 22:21, Trinity 25:39

Fairly even, but Trinity won just about every statistical battle. Looks like it should have been about a 28-12 score or something.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Fairly even, but Trinity won just about every statistical battle

Depends how you look at it.

Curtis missed 2 extra points and the score was 21-12 with a minute left....Trinity punched in the clincher, I guess.

11 penalties took some plays away from Curtis and extended at least one Trinity drive that I saw. Curtis didn't get any calls all day. You won't in Texas.

Trinity prides itself on pounding the rock as does Curtis....Curtis won that battle by 2 yards.

John Curtis ended up #3 in Louisiana and Trinity ended up #3 in Texas...

Trinity's first 3 games that year were impressive. They were Preseason #1 nationally.

Trinity 28 John Curtis 12

Trinity 37 Cedar Hill 14

Trinity 24 Allen 14

6 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

Depends how you look at it.

Curtis missed 2 extra points and the score was 21-12 with a minute left....Trinity punched in the clincher, I guess.

11 penalties took some plays away from Curtis and extended at least one Trinity drive that I saw. Curtis didn't get any calls all day. You won't in Texas.

Trinity prides itself on pounding the rock as does Curtis....Curtis won that battle by 2 yards.

John Curtis ended up #3 in Louisiana and Trinity ended up #3 in Texas...

Trinity's first 3 games that year were impressive. They were Preseason #1 nationally.

Trinity 28 John Curtis 12

Trinity 37 Cedar Hill 14

Trinity 24 Allen 14

Rivals had Trinity #9 nationally and John Curtis #19 nationally at year end.

Rivals 2008

I watched all of their OOS games live except  2.  Every one that plays them lay claim that they were a play here or there from winning or ET got a break.  They make those breaks.   Most of their games fit the same pattern they maul you, knock the hell out of you win by 7 or 8 leaving you with the illusion you should have won. I can tell you of Texas schools left feeling the same. They rarely blow teams out nor get blown out.  No matter how you slice it they are 7 - 2 OOS playing some powerhouses.   The 2 games they lost both ended with them driving to tie or win. They didn't and lost with dignity.  I've never heard them make an excuse about losing to anyone.  Great programs and great kids.  DLS, JC, Bentonville, ECA, Union all feel they should have beat them.  All lost same way the ET Way.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Towards season end ET was behind Allen, but in a cluster with stony point, Katy and Hightower.  Those 4 teams would have been a pickem game.  

Destrehan was #1 in Louisiana that year.....nasty

Destrehan had a 2 year run in 2007 and 2008 that not many here will match anytime soon.....back to back 5A Titles and 30-0 record

I know this they played 3 of the greatest Veer HS teams in America. How many can claim they went toe to toe with J.C. Bellevue, and DLS?  By the way all are Private schools and we later found out about Bellevue and the 2 4 star kids Baker and Jack came to be on that team.  They went 2-1 and all 3 games were very good.  The team that lost to Bellevue on the road was a young team.  By the way they lost in the playoffs here each of those years.  While the OOS guys all won their respective championships.  Those 3 teams are the poster child of running the Veer.  Bellevue took them damn near 3 quarters to get a handle on that trickery.  DLS precision and JC Physicality.  Good Job Trojans way to represent and I have no problem with you representing the DFDUB against anyone. 

And I can list powerhouse teams that each one of those programs destroyed.  JC over Plant, FL  Bellevue over DLS and DLS over Byrnes.

I appreciated the comments and much respect to all the teams that played the Trojans. I got to watch some great HS teams from other States up close and personal.

6 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Finally as most know the 2009 State champs have had some tragedy lately and this week they lost the QB who won State in 2009 WIllie Hubbard

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/northeast-tarrant/article145557509.html

Willie Hubbard, quarterback for the state champion Trinity Trojans, died Friday from a rare and aggressive cancer at age 25

Willie Hubbard led his team to a state championship as a quarterback at Euless Trinity High School, but he is best remembered for the way he lived his life off the field.

“He was passionate about life and about others. He was a one-of-a-kind guy,” said Keta Hood, Hubbard’s cousin.

Hubbard, 25, was play-fighting with one of his brothers in January when he noticed shortness of breath. He went to three doctors who all confirmed the same thing: stage four cancer. A mass had been growing around his heart for seven years without any indication, Hood said.

“Obviously he had his questions about why,” Hood said. “But he found purpose in it.”

The mass spread quickly. Doctors told him he didn’t have much time, and on April 14 at 4:27 a.m., Hubbard died in his sleep at his Fort Worth apartment.

Tonight is a candle light service for Willie at ET 7pm. These kids are dying way too soon. Hurts my heart.