kickoffs at high school level

sausmann9

I've heard for the second time in as many weeks that some states (PA, NJ, NY) in the area have discussed eliminating kickoffs from high school football games due to the level of speed/contact and concussions.  Do you all think this will ever happen and if so, is it a good idea???  I am for it and think starting the game w/ the offense on the 20 would be just fine at the high school level.  You would still develop kickers for extra points/field goals but just not kickoffs.

4 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

I've heard for the second time in as many weeks that some states (PA, NJ, NY) in the area have discussed eliminating kickoffs from high school football games due to the level of speed/contact and concussions.  Do you all think this will ever happen and if so, is it a good idea???  I am for it and think starting the game w/ the offense on the 20 would be just fine at the high school level.  You would still develop kickers for extra points/field goals but just not kickoffs.

Then, you've been gone from Georgia, FAAAAR too long! Statistics bare out, that drives started at plus twenty, are far more successful than those started AT the 20 in our state! HELL, if Brookwood had had to start at the 20 like WE did in 2010! The State Champions would have been the COLQUITT COUNTY PACKERS!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

Then, you've been gone from Georgia, FAAAAR too long! Statistics bare out, that drives started at plus twenty, are far more successful than those started AT the 20 in our state! HELL, if Brookwood had had to start at the 20 like WE did in 2010! The State Champions would have been the COLQUITT COUNTY PACKERS!

Yeah I know and yes I have :)

17 hours ago, Ararar said:

I don't like it.takes a lot of game changing plays out of the equation.onside kicks,fumbles and run backs for TD

I am a big fan of all special teams and would vote against it myself but if it does happen I would be okay with it.  I do think it sets the tone for the game and can absolute change the tone/tempo instantaneously or simply win or lose a game and those were the arguments against this as well.  Strangely enough one of the proponents of this was a tremendous kick returner and running back from Lafayette College back in the early 90's.  Dude was actually happy his kid isn't into the game like he was back in the day.