Just Got A Text From Tift County...And....

Rufus69

It was NOT flattering...LOL.

I kid around about Tift...but I have some pretty good friends up that way.  Them fellers are going thru a dry patch these days...and I don't necessarily think "AA" will make it back next season.  I just told my guy...we've been there.  We've DEFINITELY been there.   And I can tell ya with absolute clarity...back in the day...when Colquitt, Lowndes, Camden, Tift...and Valdosta were STRONG....football was worth the price of admission.

Gospel....

edit:  I don't wanna lead you boys down the primrose.  I never liked Tift.

NEVER !!!!!

Rufus>>

I've heard that A.A. is likely another victim of the daddy ball culture that is Tift myself. 

I mean, one hint coulda been a billboard near Bojangles and the interstate. The tea leaves aren't difficult to read. 

As an aside, that other school up there... Tift Area Academy (GISA) has been starting the kicker that left Norman Park after being suspended and released from the team. Not really anything notable, just an interesting tidbit to share. 

Also, around 25 hours away now... and hoping the texts get uglier in about 28 hours. xD

An article all about our poor, tiny and undersized Hawgs 

@Rufus69

https://www.moultrieobserver.com/sports/local_sports/undersized-or-not-packer-seniors-up-front-creating-some-big/article_a66ae290-f694-11e9-aa8f-0fbae53ec34c.html

Undersized or not, Packer seniors up front creating some big numbers

• By Matthew Brown matthew.brown@gaflnews.com
  •  
    • 4 hrs ago
    •  
      •  

1 of 4
Connor Gay, Trey McCoy

Trey McCoy (78) and Connor Gay (71) line up against North Gwinnett at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

• CWS 2019

Thomas Barry

Thomas Barry lines up against North Gwinnett at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

• Connie Southwell/The Moultrie Observer

Devene Jamerson in the Camden County game.

Remon Young (51) at Camden County's stadium.

MOULTRIE – Size may matter up front, but so does a winning attitude.

Colquitt County High football may have had bigger offensive lines in the past, but that’s hardly been a factor in the 2019 season. The offensive numbers of Daijun Edwards running the ball and quarterback Jaycee Harden throwing it around are just as good – record-setting or close to it in fact – and they can’t do it without the five guys up front who never get points next to their name.

In that group are four seniors, one with as much playing experience as any starter who is now a full-time starter at guard.

Senior guard Connor Gay weighs in at 240 pounds and just may be the team-leader in sweating and use of laundry soap for his uniforms. But it’s worth every drop of it.

Injuries are always a factor for football players like the linemen, and that’s had a lot to do with Gay’s service. He can only recall once since his sophomore season, 2017, that he didn’t get into the action.

“It’s been a great time playing with the guys on the OL,” said Gay. “It’s a strong brotherhood, really brings unity to the team.”

These linemen first learned from former offensive line coach Joey Bennett and current assistant Buck Hanson, who joined the staff in 2018. When Justin Rogers became the head coach prior to this current season, he brought in Jimmy Dudley to work with the line.

Gay said Bennett taught good movements and techniques, and that Hanson brings a strong heart to the staff.

For him, the best game of his career was last season’s semifinal against Archer High. The Packers won in overtime on a blocked PAT to earn a spot in the Class 7A finals.

“I was rotating,” said Gay. “One of the guys rolled his ankle real bad, and I had to get in a real serious game. You just have to dig down and fight.”

And he doesn’t let the notion of being undersized get to him.

“It’s all about the heart,” he said. “I think about tempo. As fast as we can go we can tire them out.”

Thomas Barry is Colquitt’s other starting guard who backed up both at guard and center as a junior, therefore adding versatility to the line. He said it’s an unselfish group that loves to block for the team.

“We grew up together, always hang out. We’re like brothers,” he said. “We do it game in and game out.”

Barry said Hanson is the “perfect” coach who pounds in technique like staying low on their blocks.

His best game by his recollections happened this year against Grayson, a 31-7 win at home when the Rams were No. 1. He moved back to center in place of Trey McCoy and turned in a good game.

“It makes me more excited,” said Barry about the big-time opposition. “It feels good be beat someone like that.

“We might be undersized, but we play big. We have a big-boy mentality. We are still going to fight you tooth and nail.”

Barry continues to practice both the guard and center positions to be ready when needed either way.

“It gives me more experience under my belt for the next level. A better resume,” he said. And he does have a scholarship offer to Ripon College in Wisconsin. He’s expecting more offers to come in, and he has spoken with St. Andrews in North Carolina.

“I work hard at grades,” said Barry, knowing that’s the best road to a scholarship.

At the tackle were two guys who weren’t always tackles. Last year, Remon Young moved from tight end to a regular starting spot while Devene Jamerson was originally a lineman, had to switch jerseys in order to play eligible receiver positions, then returned to tackle.

Young, at 245 pounds, earned his starting job fairly early in the 2018 campaign.

“I was willing to do anything to help the team,” he said. “Playing against some of these big guys, you feel a little small. Our technique … our coaches work on it so much, being low with hand placement, it doesn’t affect us on the field. Once you get them rolling, they are going to hit the ground eventually.”

Young’s favorite games as far as grading himself are this year’s Trinity Christian Academy contest and the Grayson games both this year and last.

“We came together as one and shut it down,” he said. “We love playing big-name guys with a lot of stars behind their name. We like to show them how we do it at Colquitt County.”

Young has an offer from St. Andrews.

Jamerson especially remembers playing at Grayson in 2018. It’s his first starting assignment.

“It freaked me out at first,” said the 240-pounder. “As the week went on and I realized what they were doing with me, I realized it was going to be a challenge. It was just a game, and I enjoy playing. At first (in the game), I didn’t do as well. All the nerves were ticking in me. I didn’t know what to do. I was going crazy. As the game went on, I calmed down and did better.”

And the Packers won dominating the second half.

Jamerson only had two games at tackle that season, Grayson and Alcovy. Otherwise, he was a tight end and fullback. Now, it’s mainly tackle.

“I just shorten up the words and put them where they need to go,” said Jamerson about learning different techniques for each position. “(Our coaches) are family to me.”

He put last week’s Camden game as one of his best.

“I’m really looking forward to these next two games,” said Jamerson, the first being today vs. Tift County, Senior Night, on Tom White Field at Mack Tharpe Stadium.

• Thanks 1

Man. This kid...these kids...  ahem... young men, caused me to start a thread called Sunday Morning Pancake Breakfast... After the scrimmage game. Hahaha.

" Thomas Barry is Colquitt’s other starting guard who backed up both at guard and center as a junior, therefore adding versatility to the line. He said it’s an unselfish group that loves to block for the team.

“We grew up together, always hang out. We’re like brothers,” he said. “We do it game in and game out.”

Barry said Hanson is the “perfect” coach who pounds in technique like staying low on their blocks.

His best game by his recollections happened this year against Grayson, a 31-7 win at home when the Rams were No. 1. He moved back to center in place of Trey McCoy and turned in a good game.

“It makes me more excited,” said Barry about the big-time opposition. “It feels good be beat someone like that.

“We might be undersized, but we play big. We have a big-boy mentality. We are still going to fight you tooth and nail.”

8 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Hawg...this is a little off the subject...but Tajh got a nice offer from Louisville.  Things are looking up for that young man....

Rufus>>

I saw that! Excited for the young feller! He's a Packer through and through! 

I feel like there are so many going unnoticed but putting in the work, grades and all...and not really getting the attention.

Connor Gay...

Thomas Barry...

Devene Jamerson...

These kids ran the streets together. They love each other. They'll put the lawman to drawing chalk lines around bodies for their qb and rbs. I can't believe they aren't good for some full rides somewhere.

Jaycee Harden! Wtf! Three or four D2 offers? You have got to be kidding!

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I saw that! Excited for the young feller! He's a Packer through and through! 

I feel like there are so many going unnoticed but putting in the work, grades and all...and not really getting the attention.

Connor Gay...

Thomas Barry...

Devene Jamerson...

These kids ran the streets together. They love each other. They'll put the lawman to drawing chalk lines around bodies for their qb and rbs. I can't believe they aren't good for some full rides somewhere.

Jaycee Harden! Wtf! Three or four D2 offers? You have got to be kidding!

I can't believe that Jaycee doesn't have a D-1 offer.  I just gotta believe it's coming.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

I can't believe that Jaycee doesn't have a D-1 offer.  I just gotta believe it's coming.

Rufus>>

Oh it it's coming. I believe it with my whole heart. 

I believe some of these linemen are going to get some rides too. Probably not D1, but, D2. A few have D3 offers on grades and skill alone. Heart alone should get them to D2 imo. 

Carrying this offense, in a transition year, after all the turmoil?! 

Jesus! These kids are a special kind of monster. 

4 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Ty had moves that most kids today haven't imagined.   It was the old...."I got him...I got him...Lord Have Mercy somebody get him".

Rufus>>

He was and is "small." Might be an NFL'r. 

The D1 schools missed because he was "small." Problem with trying to measure a kid like that by stature is "heart." You can't measure it but it's there, and a huge part of what makes these guys go. 

We have that guy again in Tay Tay. We have numerous others that are under rated. 

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

He was and is "small." Might be an NFL'r. 

The D1 schools missed because he was "small." Problem with trying to measure a kid like that by stature is "heart." You can't measure it but it's there, and a huge part of what makes these guys go. 

We have that guy again in Tay Tay. We have numerous others that are under rated. 

Ponder is a stud muffin.  Just when ya think ya got him penned...he hits another gear.  And a great attitude as well.  He's a guy ya want for a teammate.

Rufus>>

20 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Oh Woe is us Blue Devil's....

Tift ALWAYS plays hard in Mack Tharpe.  I think somebody has been feeding them our chili dogs from the Lion's Club concessions in the past.  Well...THAT stops tonight !!!!

PLUS....Liz Savage says....we got this !!!!!

GO YOU HAIRY HAWGS !!!!!

Rufus>>

40 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Tift ALWAYS plays hard in Mack Tharpe.  I think somebody has been feeding them our chili dogs from the Lion's Club concessions in the past.  Well...THAT stops tonight !!!!

PLUS....Liz Savage says....we got this !!!!!

GO YOU HAIRY HAWGS !!!!!

Rufus>>

Mrs. Savage might be right... 

13 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

If I'm not totally mistaken "they" been doing some jawing with our boys a little. Some of them Hawgs are mad. 

It could rain tonight though. Pretty much anything could happen when Colquitt and Tift play anyway, but, then add in rain or something... 

Shoot....it could "hell" tonight !!!!!

Like "Doc" said this morning whilst we were sipping on our early morning Black Silk........"Rufus, the only good thing to EVER come outa Tift County....is 319 South".

Well alright then....

Rufus>>

• Haha 1