Ohio Playoffs Round 2

Coletrain06

9 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

A close friend coaches in the Greater Miami Conference. He told me McClain will be back. IMO the fact that FF already took Colerain to OT without the services of its star RB for much of the game bodes well for them in this rematch. FF +1

Does he coach for Fairfield?  Otherwise, not sure how much I buy into that.

Don't get me wrong, I want him back.  If Colerain is going to pull the upset (and it would be an upset), I want them to beat FF at full strength.  I don't want any excuses from the Indian faithful as to why they lost.

I like Colerain in the rematch simply because I think their coaches do a really good job the second time facing an opponent.

Hopefully it's a really good game.

-93CardinalsFan

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Does he coach for Fairfield?  Otherwise, not sure how much I buy into that.

Don't get me wrong, I want him back.  If Colerain is going to pull the upset (and it would be an upset), I want them to beat FF at full strength.  I don't want any excuses from the Indian faithful as to why they lost.

I like Colerain in the rematch simply because I think their coaches do a really good job the second time facing an opponent.

Hopefully it's a really good game.

-93CardinalsFan

A friend of mine coaches at Fairfield and they aren't thinking like that at all.  You play with who you got.  Fairfield had the ball on the 1 yard line 3 different drives and only got 3 points.  You can't have any excuses with those circumstances.  Colerain hulked up down there.

I'm liking Elder in the 1/4 match-up with X. As I've mentioned before, I don't trust this X defense and Elder can exploit them any number of ways. The regular season game finished with a close score, but Elder was essentially in prevent mode and controlled that game throughout. X does have an offense capable of keeping pace in a shootout, but they've gotten off to slow starts in a number of games this year. If for once they can come out firing on a cylinders offensively, this game could be a classic. 

I like Colerain as a slight favorite in the 2/3 game with Fairfield. While the health of McClain will certainly be a factor, I also think the mental edge the Cards have will play a role. Fairfield lost their composure several times throughout the regular season game and killed themselves with personal fouls. Meanwhile, Colerain played best when the pressure was on. Wish I could have a front seat for this game as I think it will be another great one. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

I'm liking Elder in the 1/4 match-up with X. As I've mentioned before, I don't trust this X defense and Elder can exploit them any number of ways. The regular season game finished with a close score, but Elder was essentially in prevent mode and controlled that game throughout. X does have an offense capable of keeping pace in a shootout, but they've gotten off to slow starts in a number of games this year. If for once they can come out firing on a cylinders offensively, this game could be a classic. 

I like Colerain as a slight favorite in the 2/3 game with Fairfield. While the health of McClain will certainly be a factor, I also think the mental edge the Cards have will play a role. Fairfield lost their composure several times throughout the regular season game and killed themselves with personal fouls. Meanwhile, Colerain played best when the pressure was on. Wish I could have a front seat for this game as I think it will be another great one. 

I am taking StX and Colerain....not getting off the wagon here.  

Agree with OdbCle....for some crazy reason this year,  X seems to coast thru the first half (especially recently).  These double-digit leads are hard to overcome, plus they put their defense on the field toooooo  long.  X's D is suspect I agree.  But if, for once, they start the game  with their head in it offensively, they are certainly capable of beating Elder.

Colerain is Colerain period.  Frankly, I feel Fairfield had chances last time to win, and did not.  You only get so many chances.  I am sticking with the Cards.  Would like to see another StX - Colerain match-up.

Goods news for those who get Spectrum. Most of the games will be live with a subscription.

For those who don’t never fear since I will be watching 4 games and reporting scoring updates.

games of interest will be the ones mentioned above X/Elder, Colerain/Fairfield, Ed’s/Euclid and will watch some of the Mentor/McKinley game. Also interested in some of the Whitmer/Dublin Coffman game in R2 if one of the games is a run away.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Goods news for those who get Spectrum. Most of the games will be live with a subscription.

For those who don’t never fear since I will be watching 4 games and reporting scoring updates.

games of interest will be the ones mentioned above X/Elder, Colerain/Fairfield, Ed’s/Euclid and will watch some of the Mentor/McKinley game. Also interested in some of the Whitmer/Dublin Coffman game in R2 if one of the games is a run away.

I can't even remember my spectrum password.  

• Haha 1

Region 1

I think Mentor rolls and handles McKinley pretty easily. McKinley has seemed to really play to the level of their opponents this year. They will have plenty of good players, but they will not be able to match the discipline and execution of a talented Mentor team.

Ed's and Euclid could be a decent game. Euclid is athletic and has a solid ground game. Don't know how healthy they are. Euclid's defense hasn't been anything to write home about, so I think they'll have trouble slowing down Ed's offense. Ed's defense is good enough to get stops against Euclid and win the game without much trouble.

Region 2

Springfield has a high level defense. Their offense may be inconsistent and rely too heavily on the big play, but their defense should keep them competitive in most games they play this year. Jerome is probably the worst D1 team still in the bracket. They beat Springboro in 5 OT's last week, but still only managed 167 yds. I think Springfield's defense wins the day here and Springfield wins convincingly.

Whitmer vs. Coffman should be a good game. Whitmer handled a tough Northmont team last week. Coffman has been solid, but lost to both Pick North and HD. I think this likely a toss up, and I like Whitmer to take a close one.

Region 3

Olentangy Liberty will have  a rematch against Groveport Madison this week. Liberty won a close game 21-14 the first time around. While Groveport does have a great win against Pick Central, Liberty has been more consistent this year, and has far greater playoff experience.

Pick Central vs. Olentangy Orange could be a very good game. Pick Central was a popular preseason pick along with Ed's. Their results haven't matched their expectations, but they still are a very good team, with plenty of playoff experience. If they come ready to play, they can beat anybody in Ohio. Olentangy Orange lost a game to Pick North early in the season, and since then have gone undefeated and knocked off Liberty. I would favor Pick Central in this one, but wouldn't be surprised in the least if Orange won.

Region 4

St. X and Elder is another rematch. Elder ran basically at will behind their massive line against X in the first matchup. They jumped out to a big lead in the first half, before X made a signature 2nd half comeback that fell short. Neither teams defense stopped the other too much. Both teams are actually pretty similar with good QB's, good TE's, and good WR's. Elder has a better run game, but what truly gives them their edge is their OLine, whom have dominated all season. In the playoffs in Ohio, Lineplay usually determines the winner. I'll go with Elder in this one.

Colerain and Fairfield is also another rematch from 2 weeks ago. Colerain won that matchup 16-10 in OT and thus claimed their 20th straight GMC crown. Fairfield's star RB Jutahn McClain got injured late 1st-early 2nd, and did not return until the 4th. The story of the game was Colerain's Goal Line Defense. Fairfield had the ball at the 1 yd line three separate drives: 1- in the 3rd, which Colerain stuffed and Fairfield kicked FG; 2 - Mid 4th, which Colerain stuffed 4 x's; 3 - in OT, which Colerain also stuffed 4x's. Fairfield's McClain sat out last week, so I'm not sure if he'll be 100% against Colerain. This game should be great either way. Colerain definitely has the playoff experience. It's hard to beat a good team twice in the same season, but Colerain usually does better when playing the same team twice. Besides the 2016 Divine Intervention game against St. X, in all rematches Colerain has either increased their MOV, flipped a loss to a win, or closed the gap in losses. I'll take Colerain simply for the fact that they perform far better in big games than Fairfield has.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Region 1

I think Mentor rolls and handles McKinley pretty easily. McKinley has seemed to really play to the level of their opponents this year. They will have plenty of good players, but they will not be able to match the discipline and execution of a talented Mentor team.

Ed's and Euclid could be a decent game. Euclid is athletic and has a solid ground game. Don't know how healthy they are. Euclid's defense hasn't been anything to write home about, so I think they'll have trouble slowing down Ed's offense. Ed's defense is good enough to get stops against Euclid and win the game without much trouble.

Region 2

Springfield has a high level defense. Their offense may be inconsistent and rely too heavily on the big play, but their defense should keep them competitive in most games they play this year. Jerome is probably the worst D1 team still in the bracket. They beat Springboro in 5 OT's last week, but still only managed 167 yds. I think Springfield's defense wins the day here and Springfield wins convincingly.

Whitmer vs. Coffman should be a good game. Whitmer handled a tough Northmont team last week. Coffman has been solid, but lost to both Pick North and HD. I think this likely a toss up, and I like Whitmer to take a close one.

Region 3

Olentangy Liberty will have  a rematch against Groveport Madison this week. Liberty won a close game 21-14 the first time around. While Groveport does have a great win against Pick Central, Liberty has been more consistent this year, and has far greater playoff experience.

Pick Central vs. Olentangy Orange could be a very good game. Pick Central was a popular preseason pick along with Ed's. Their results haven't matched their expectations, but they still are a very good team, with plenty of playoff experience. If they come ready to play, they can beat anybody in Ohio. Olentangy Orange lost a game to Pick North early in the season, and since then have gone undefeated and knocked off Liberty. I would favor Pick Central in this one, but wouldn't be surprised in the least if Orange won.

Region 4

St. X and Elder is another rematch. Elder ran basically at will behind their massive line against X in the first matchup. They jumped out to a big lead in the first half, before X made a signature 2nd half comeback that fell short. Neither teams defense stopped the other too much. Both teams are actually pretty similar with good QB's, good TE's, and good WR's. Elder has a better run game, but what truly gives them their edge is their OLine, whom have dominated all season. In the playoffs in Ohio, Lineplay usually determines the winner. I'll go with Elder in this one.

Colerain and Fairfield is also another rematch from 2 weeks ago. Colerain won that matchup 16-10 in OT and thus claimed their 20th straight GMC crown. Fairfield's star RB Jutahn McClain got injured late 1st-early 2nd, and did not return until the 4th. The story of the game was Colerain's Goal Line Defense. Fairfield had the ball at the 1 yd line three separate drives: 1- in the 3rd, which Colerain stuffed and Fairfield kicked FG; 2 - Mid 4th, which Colerain stuffed 4 x's; 3 - in OT, which Colerain also stuffed 4x's. Fairfield's McClain sat out last week, so I'm not sure if he'll be 100% against Colerain. This game should be great either way. Colerain definitely has the playoff experience. It's hard to beat a good team twice in the same season, but Colerain usually does better when playing the same team twice. Besides the 2016 Divine Intervention game against St. X, in all rematches Colerain has either increased their MOV, flipped a loss to a win, or closed the gap in losses. I'll take Colerain simply for the fact that they perform far better in big games than Fairfield has.

Good games Coletrain, I can hardly wait for Friday.

in regards to Ed’s, they will pound the rock with some timely passes. Last year they had over 600 yards offense against Euclid.

In R4 I will take Elder and Colerain to win this week. I think X and FF are both capable of winning though.

The reason I favor Elder is that X has been very inconsistent in games this year and seems to wait until the second half to get going. You can get away with that in the regular season sometimes, but you cannot do that and expect to win at this point in the playoffs. I think Elder wins by 7.

For FF/Colerain I think FF has the players to win, their biggest hurdle is the mental hurdle. I don’t think it can be understated how big that monkey is on their back at this point. They had everything going in their favor the first matchup (at home, senior night, they were undefeated) and they still could not get it done. I fully expect McClain to play, but I don’t think he will be 100%. Also, as mentioned by Coletrain earlier Colerain’s record in playoff rematches where they won the first matchup is phenomenal. Since 1994, they have had 12 rematches in the playoffs vs teams they beat during the regular season. They have won 11 of those games and the margin of victory is almost always significantly higher. On average, they have won the first game by 10.9 points and the rematch by 26.4. I will take the Cards by 10. 

Going to be an exciting week of football!

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

This could be Colerain's last year at the top. I'm hearing that their JV and Frosh teams were awful, and their junior high teams almost non-existent. 

Not true at all. 

The JV team was pretty good. 

The Frosh team was awful.

Both of these are normal at Colerain. JV actually did better than normal.

It seems like the general consensus in the city is that THIS season was the year to knock Colerain from the top, considering they have a new Head Coach, all new Coordinators, and had to replace the entire Offense and half the Defense. Also considering all the senior talent on Fairfield and Princeton. But Despite all of that, Colerain still won the GMC this year.

Colerain's dominance won't last forever, but I've heard nothing but optimism for the next few years. 

Colerain is still in a closed enrollment school district that also has another high school (Northwest), and even geographic boundaries inside the school district that determine which of the 2 high schools you attend. There have been rumors that Colerain is looking at going to Open Enrollment, or even combining the 2 high schools. If either of those 2 things happen, I wouldn't look for Colerain to fall anytime soon.

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I always heard TB left for the following reasons: 

1. Cupboard was bare

2. He didn't want his future QB son running the triple

3. More $$$

4. LW has open enrollment

Any of the above true? Thx. 

1 - No, not true at all. Heard this from TB's mouth when I last talked to him...take that for what it's worth. This is a thing people who aren't that close to the program say.

2 - highly doubt this has any relevance. Bolden was the OC at Colerain. He's running a pretty similar offense at West...and tbh, his son is good, but highly doubt he's getting any serious scholarships as a passing QB. 

3 - yes. Quite a lot, and is definitely the main reason he left. At Colerain, he was a full time teacher in addition to coaching. At West he's already making more to coach, but in addition , West created an administrator position for him, which all together pays 6 figures. He wasn't anywhere even close to that at Colerain.....West definitely has better schools/money/resources.

4 - yes they are. A lot of the publics are going to that. Princeton, Fairfield, Wayne, Winton Woods, Lakota West, Lakota East are all open enrollment

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

1 - No, not true at all. Heard this from TB's mouth when I last talked to him...take that for what it's worth. This is a thing people who aren't that close to the program say.

2 - highly doubt this has any relevance. Bolden was the OC at Colerain. He's running a pretty similar offense at West...and tbh, his son is good, but highly doubt he's getting any serious scholarships as a passing QB. 

3 - yes. Quite a lot, and is definitely the main reason he left. At Colerain, he was a full time teacher in addition to coaching. At West he's already making more to coach, but in addition , West created an administrator position for him, which all together pays 6 figures. He wasn't anywhere even close to that at Colerain.....West definitely has better schools/money/resources.

4 - yes they are. A lot of the publics are going to that. Princeton, Fairfield, Wayne, Winton Woods, Lakota West, Lakota East are all open enrollment

No doubt Elgin ponied up with the big $$$. TB could almost give Uncle Rush a run for his money lol.

• Like 1