Ohio Playoffs -Finals

hardhit1

On 12/6/2019 at 9:48 AM, prepsbill65 said:

You hit the nail on the head.  A good Kentucky team.   One of three Kentucky teams worth following (Male, Trinity and CovCath).

Did beat LaSalle by 3 TD's, at home, after a bye week.  They play Frederick Douglas Saturday and will win by at least 35 points. By the way, Frederick Douglas (14-0), has not played a team in the top 1900 in the country (calpreps).  That is KY. Playoff football.  IMO, Trinity and Male is the only "real:"game in the KY playoffs worth seeing.

For the record....Ky has 221 teams in 6 classes.  That's  83% of the teams make the playoffs (including 0-10, 1-9 etc) teams).  Only the finals are at a neutral site, so some of these team play 2 or 3 playoff games on their home field.  State final games will draw 5,000 to 6,000;  EXCEPTION:  Male vs Trinity ....  look for 15,000 plus.

One final straw:  Only games that count are your district games (usually 3 or 4).  Balance of your schedule means nothing when it comes to playoffs...  I live in NO. Ky; that is why I follow Ohio (especially Cincinnati) HS football because "every game counts in Ohio"

1A - 7,840

2A - 7,801

3A - 8,275

4A - 9,439

5A - 9,381

6A - 9,108

Kentucky state finals numbers from Lexington, KY

2 hours ago, OdbCle said:

Attendance in Ohio was pretty bad for the most part. As expected, Massillon-LaSalle drew the biggest crowd at 11,286. The D1 game was an abysmal 6,690.  I think that may be the lowest ever. Elder's crowd looked decent. Pick C fans stayed at home. 

Yeah Kentucky's numbers were up.  There was only 1 blowout and some all time type games.

2 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Yeah Kentucky's numbers were up.  There was only 1 blowout and some all time type games.

nptb17...and you were right about Frederick Douglas/ Cov Cath prediction.  A lot closer than I would have thought.  Congrats...

Very surprised with attentence numbers, both in Ohio and Kentucky.  I would have thought Ohio numbers would have been higher than they were; Kentucky lower than those figures.  Lexington should be a good draw (location wise).   Canton is a trip...unless you are from Columbus or NorthWest Ohio.  

54 minutes ago, prepsbill65 said:

nptb17...and you were right about Frederick Douglas/ Cov Cath prediction.  A lot closer than I would have thought.  Congrats...

Very surprised with attentence numbers, both in Ohio and Kentucky.  I would have thought Ohio numbers would have been higher than they were; Kentucky lower than those figures.  Lexington should be a good draw (location wise).   Canton is a trip...unless you are from Columbus or NorthWest Ohio.  

Agreed on the OH attendance numbers. I would have thought they'd be better...especially considering that the weather was probably as good as it's been in the past 5+ years.

My final Ohio rankings (my top three are more like 1a,b, and c). 

1. Pick Central - I said previously that I wanted to see how they performed against Elder, a team that Ed's handled rather easily in the regular season. And while they did not look nearly as good as Ed's did, I do have to give some credence to the fact that this was the state championship game, and both teams were playing very well coming into it. Wouldn't be entirely fair to compare a week 4 matchup with the big game. Additionally, the play of QB Demetric Crenshaw throughout their playoff run was something to behold. The Tigers avenged their only loss of the regular season to a talented and underrated Groveport-Madison team, got by a great Mentor team that seemed destined to take the D1 title, and fought off a very game Elder team in the state final. Not as dominant in the regular season as they seemed they should be on paper, but the talent came through when it mattered most. 

2. St. Edward - I think the Eagles were playing like the best team in the state when the postseason started. Offense had its full compliment of weaponry, O'Malley was running the read option with extreme efficiency, and the defense looked locked in. And after one half of football against Mentor, it appeared a repeat was imminent. Low and behold, it was not meant to be. Without rehashing the controversies in their entirety, a series of events found the Eagles asking, "What the hell just happened?," as Mentor stormed the field after converting a 2-point attempt in OT. Even the Mentor faithful seemed to acknowledge the better overall team did not win that day.  Would have loved to see an Ed's/PC semi-final. Had they gotten by Mentor, I think they once again finish the job. 

3. Mentor - a magical season that saw the Cardinals knock off the Cleveland Catholics in back-to-back weeks to open the season, and then run the table in an otherwise competitive GCC. The dominance continued leading right up the regional final. Refusing to let Triv's last game come down to another loss at the hands of St. Edward, they found a way to pull off a stunner, thanks largely to the other-worldly play of WR Luke Floriea and his timely big plays that kept the game within striking distance and delivered the final blow. Unfortunately, destiny met its match the next week in the form of Demetric Crenshaw and Pick C Tigers. This time, it was the Cardinals on the wrong end of the controversial calls. And injury was added to insult when Kipp went down with a bad ankle injury late in the game. Despite out-gaining the Tigers and putting up close to 450 yards of offense, the dream season came to an end. 

4. LaSalle - this spot was tough to decide, but I gave the nod to the Lancers over the Panthers. In addition to edging Elder in their week 10 game, LaSalle was able to finish the job in convincing fashion against a very good Massillon team that many thought would finally deliver a playoff title.  

5. Elder - offense as good as any in the state, and a defense that was actually playing solidly by year's end.  Crenshaw's heroics and a big-play Pick C offense ultimately proved to be too much. I felt they relied a little too heavily on the legs of Leubbe, and did not open up the passing game enough. Royer with one catch for 21 yards is not the stat line you want from him. Yes, it enabled them to eat clock and keep Pick C's offense off the field, but it was not a winning recipe. 

6. Colerain - without the injury to Thomas I think they could have come out of R4 and probably on to the final. Springfield would have been a great matchup, but I believe the Cards defense would prove to be the difference.

7. Springfield - defense as good as any, but their offense could just not muster the points against the top teams. 

8. St. Xavier - again, lacking that quintessential X defense. Offense very good at times, but inconsistent QB prevented it from really taking off. 

9. Fairfield - would a healthy Jutahn McClain have made the difference in the rematch with Colerain? We'll never know. This was a very good team though. 

10. Massillon - I'll keep the Tigers in my top ten as this was a very good football team, but what we saw in the D2 final was an example of what it takes to compete week in and week out with the D1 big boys. LaSalle does that in the regular season and it obviously paid dividends in the playoffs. 

Others: Groveport-Madison, Hoban, Coffman, TCC, WW, O-Lib, Trotwood-Madison

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, prepsbill65 said:

It was the perfect storm as far as attendance for the Kentucky finals.  All of the participants in the smaller classes were football crazy towns who were going to bring at least half of their town.  I didn't expect the 6A final to be so low, especially with Male and Trinity being the participants.  

Fredrick Douglas isn't going anywhere.  They have big boy talent and speed to burn.  This was a good experience for them and they'll be the favorites next year.

On 12/9/2019 at 3:59 PM, OdbCle said:

1. Pick Central - I said previously that I wanted to see how they performed against Elder, a team that Ed's handled rather easily in the regular season. And while they did not look nearly as good as Ed's did, I do have to give some credence to the fact that this was the state championship game, and both teams were playing very well coming into it. Wouldn't be entirely fair to compare a week 4 matchup with the big game. Additionally, the play of QB Demetric Crenshaw throughout their playoff run was something to behold. The Tigers avenged their only loss of the regular season to a talented and underrated Groveport-Madison team, got by a great Mentor team that seemed destined to take the D1 title, and fought off a very game Elder team in the state final. Not as dominant in the regular season as they seemed they should be on paper, but the talent came through when it mattered most. 

2. St. Edward - I think the Eagles were playing like the best team in the state when the postseason started. Offense had its full compliment of weaponry, O'Malley was running the read option with extreme efficiency, and the defense looked locked in. And after one half of football against Mentor, it appeared a repeat was imminent. Low and behold, it was not meant to be. Without rehashing the controversies in their entirety, a series of events found the Eagles asking, "What the hell just happened?," as Mentor stormed the field after converting a 2-point attempt in OT. Even the Mentor faithful seemed to acknowledge the better overall team did not win that day.  Would have loved to see an Ed's/PC semi-final. Had they gotten by Mentor, I think they once again finish the job. 

3. Mentor - a magical season that saw the Cardinals knock off the Cleveland Catholics in back-to-back weeks to open the season, and then run the table in an otherwise competitive GCC. The dominance continued leading right up the regional final. Refusing to let Triv's last game come down to another loss at the hands of St. Edward, they found a way to pull off a stunner, thanks largely to the other-worldly play of WR Luke Floriea and his timely big plays that kept the game within striking distance and delivered the final blow. Unfortunately, destiny met its match the next week in the form of Demetric Crenshaw and Pick C Tigers. This time, it was the Cardinals on the wrong end of the controversial calls. And injury was added to insult when Kipp went down with a bad ankle injury late in the game. Despite out-gaining the Tigers and putting up close to 450 yards of offense, the dream season came to an end. 

4. LaSalle - this spot was tough to decide, but I gave the nod to the Lancers over the Panthers. In addition to edging Elder in their week 10 game, LaSalle was able to finish the job in convincing fashion against a very good Massillon team that many thought would finally deliver a playoff title.  

5. Elder - offense as good as any in the state, and a defense that was actually playing solidly by year's end.  Crenshaw's heroics and a big-play Pick C offense ultimately proved to be too much. I felt they relied a little too heavily on the legs of Leubbe, and did not open up the passing game enough. Royer with one catch for 21 yards is not the stat line you want from him. Yes, it enabled them to eat clock and keep Pick C's offense off the field, but it was not a winning recipe. 

6. Colerain - without the injury to Thomas I think they could have come out of R4 and probably on to the final. Springfield would have been a great matchup, but I believe the Cards defense would prove to be the difference.

7. Springfield - defense as good as any, but their offense could just not muster the points against the top teams. 

8. St. Xavier - again, lacking that quintessential X defense. Offense very good at times, but inconsistent QB prevented it from really taking off. 

9. Fairfield - would a healthy Jutahn McClain have made the difference in the rematch with Colerain? We'll never know. This was a very good team though. 

10. Massillon - I'll keep the Tigers in my top ten as this was a very good football team, but what we saw in the D2 final was an example of what it takes to compete week in and week out with the D1 big boys. LaSalle does that in the regular season and it obviously paid dividends in the playoffs. 

Ill have mine out soon. Was out of town on vacation over the weekend. Catching up

On 12/9/2019 at 3:59 PM, OdbCle said:

I’ d flip Ed’s Mentor , they earned it 

otherwise okay

Ok I finally have enough time to do this. 

Heres my final end season rankings for Ohio

1 Pick Central - by seasons end, they were playing really good football. They were my preseason pick along with Eds to make it to the title. They had a lot of talent back. During the season they played very lackluster, and dropped a game they shouldnt have lost (which seems to be an annual thing.) However, during the playoffs, they avenged that loss and started playing up to potential. 

2 Mentor - Mentor had a great season going 3-0 against Iggy and Eds. They had a great offense that could score with the best of them.  Their defense was improved but still their Achilles heel.  Mentor seems to struggle with physical, athletic teams that they're not very familiar with, which is why I picked Pick Central to beat them. Still a great season and sendoff for Coach Triv.

3 St. Edward - a great season for Eds. They were a very well balanced team with a lot of talent, but ultimately couldn't get past Mentor, losing twice by 1 point each time. The difference between a lot of the top teams is negligible.  

4 La Salle - La Salle has a lot of talent, won the GCL, and wiped the floor with Massillon in the D2 Championship.  I doubt they would lose to Covcath again if they played,  but even still,  Covcath is a good team whom has only lost 1 game in the last 3 seasons and had a specific matchup that La Salle had no answer for. 

5 Elder - Elder had a big and Dominant OLine. They had a great dual threat QB and tall WR's/TE. Their defense was decent.  Better than usual,  but like Mentor,  it was their Achilles heel.

6 St. X - X had an inconsistent offense, but a very solid passing attack when they were playing well. Their defense wasn't a shutdown defense, but were pretty solid against the run. X didnt have much of a run game. The Bombers were in a position to win all 3 games they lost, but just couldnt pull them out. 

7 Colerain - The Cards had one of the best defenses in the state. The offense was really inexperienced and struggled most of the season, until they fully committed to playing LB Jaylen Thomas both ways at RB and LB. By the playoffs they were really playing outstanding on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately,  Thomas was seriously injured in a car accident before the regional final against Elder. This injury, along with the midseason season-ending injury to the Cards best LB and Defensive caller Mike Bess proved to be too much. With Thomas, I'd put Colerain at #4 with a serious chance to play for #1. 

8 Fairfield - The indians had a very good defense. Their offense was pretty good and balanced with RB McClain, dual threat QB Ellis, solid WR's and other solid RB. Fairfield had a nice win against Springfield, but would eventually lose twice to Colerain. The first loss, McClain was injured in the 2nd and missed a lot of the game. They fought hard, and forced OT, but lost to a Colerain team that was coming into their own and fighting for 20 years of history. In the playoff rematch, McClain played and seemed fine, but playoff Colerain just seemed a step above.

9 Springfield - Springfield was a very athletic team with a great defense. Their offense struggled against the better defenses they played.  Still, an early season loss to Fairfield and semifinal loss to Elder are nothing to ve ashamed of. Great season for Springfield.

10 Massillon - this may be a little low for Massillon, but it also speaks to how close all the top ten are. Massillon played very well all season, but most people were waiting for a tough opponent to gauge them. That opponent didnt come until the semifinals, and it was against a seriously banged up team in Hoban. When they played a healthy tough opponent, La salle, in the finals, they were overwhelmed. 

Others: Winton Woods, Hoban, Groveport-Madison, Iggy, TCC, Trotwood-Madison, Coffman 

• Like 1