Joe Burrow mentioned the Athens, Ohio poverty rate during his Heisman acceptance speech last night.

RedZone

The poverty rate in Athens is 51.6%. One out of every 1.9 residents of Athens lives in poverty.

Wow. Who knew?

It looks like a nice little college town tucked in the southeastern part of Ohio...I can dig the autumn foliage. We don't get that here.

BUT, there is some major poorness going on there.

41 minutes ago, RedZone said:

The poverty rate in Athens is 51.6%. One out of every 1.9 residents of Athens lives in poverty.

Wow. Who knew?

It looks like a nice little college town tucked in the southeastern part of Ohio...I can dig the autumn foliage. We don't get that here.

BUT, there is some major poorness going on there.

Good-looking kid.  Will go places.  He's alright.

Not meant to be political at all, we've forgotten about these places.  Not everyone has, but people who matter have.

Very sad, but these men will fight for this Country (when not on oxy), and they don't want to sit home and collect a check.  Their grandparents built and defended this Country.  We have to keep competitive, but we have to help these communities, too.  I know, easier said than done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StJoesFanboy said:

Good-looking kid.  Will go places.  He's alright.

Not meant to be political at all, we've forgotten about these places.  Not everyone has, but people who matter have.

Very sad, but these men will fight for this Country (when not on oxy), and they don't want to sit home and collect a check.  Their grandparents built and defended this Country.  We have to keep competitive, but we have to help these communities, too.  I know, easier said than done.

I can agree with this and it was obviously important to Joe Burrow last night..

• Like 1

Just now, RedZone said:

I can agree with this and it was obviously important to Joe Burrow last night..

I was watching again "Out of the Furnace" with Christian Bale, Casey Affleck, W. DeFoe, Woody Harrelson, Sam Shepard, Zoe Saldano, F. Whittaker, etc. (DiCaprio produced it), and I Googled the town it was filed in--North Braddock, Pa., 11 miles east of Pittsburgh.  in 2010, 65% white, 35% black, or so, as I recall.

In 10 minutes on Internet, I didn't see a house for sale OVER $100k.  I saw some for $10,000.  A back-up generator installed around me goes for $14k.  The God-darn bathroom renovation I was quoted 5 yrs ago or so was for $17.5k.

I asked a colleague of mine, who grew up in Pittsburgh and whose family is till there, whether buying a home there to retire made sense, sort of kidding.  She wasn't so sure about whether I was serious, and said, it's the hood.  Carnegie built his 1st steel mill there, I think.  read the news, and that little town of 4,800 people churns out like a shooting a month.  They shoot cops.

WTF?  People need jobs, purposes, responsibilities, to be occupied most of the day (idle hands), etc.

I wonder whether the powers that be wrote off a chunk of this Country already.

30.2% of the population for whom poverty status is determined in Athens County, OH (16.8k out of 55.8k people) live below the poverty line, a number that is higher than the national average of 13.4%. The largest demographic living in poverty are Males 18 - 24, followed by Females 18 - 24 and then Females 25 - 34.

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

Just forget about it, giggles..

Did you watch his acceptance speech last night?

Why would I?

1. It was a foregone conclusion that he was going to win, and

B. I know where Athens is, and about the poverty rate there.

Also, FWIW...Joe is quoting incorrect statistics. 51.6% includes the students at Ohio University, who of course have no jobs and not a ton of disposable income.

For actual residents of Athens, the rate is 23.1%.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

Why would I?

Also, FWIW...Joe is quoting incorrect statistics. 51.6% includes the students at Ohio University, who of course have no jobs and not a ton of disposable income.

Why cant u get a job while at Ohio university??

37 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

Why would I?

Joe was correct. He said twice the national average.

I googled it myself for that 51.6.

Anyways, you should have watched it. You are gonna have to stop playing the Van Halen 8 tracks one day.