*Official 2008 LT Thread*

ChimpGrip

I would have loved to see these guys take Stony Point, Plano, Hightower, and Allen. The 2008 season featured many very good teams in 4A and 5A. Many forget 4A Longview only lost 21-7 to Allen. LT routed them 48-23. 

LT also faced Steele, who finally won state - in 5A - once they didn’t have to go thru LT. 

Other loaded teams in the state that year included Euless Trinity, Katy (an underdog but very good), and others. 

I still like LT as #1 that season.

Best teams I’ve ever watched (excluding the ridiculous private schools you see on ESPNU in September; they don’t count). 

2006 Southlake Carroll

2008 LT

2010 Euless Trinity 

2011 LT

2012 Katy

2012 Allen

2013 Allen

2013 Katy

2013 Aledo

2015 Katy

2016 LT 

2018 North Shore 

My favorite teams of all time - 08, 09, 16, and 17 LT and 2012 Katy

15 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Best teams I’ve ever watched (excluding the ridiculous private schools you see on ESPNU in September; they don’t count). 

2006 Southlake Carroll

2008 LT

2010 Euless Trinity 

2011 LT

2012 Katy

2012 Allen

2013 Allen

2013 Katy

2013 Aledo

2015 Katy

2016 LT 

2018 North Shore 

My favorite teams of all time - 08, 09, 16, and 17 LT and 2012 Katy

Is this in order? 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Chronological order. Not sure how I’d rank them based on who I thought was really the best ever, although I lean a bit towards '15 Katy being the best ever. 

Of course.  (Brain fart on my part) I wasn’t paying attention to the order of the years just the teams. 

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I agree (except ‘11 LT and ‘13 Aledo) there are a few non championship teams I’d list too, like 2006 ET, 2013 Desoto and 2018 Duncanville. 

Yeah I forgot about Dville and Desoto of those years - both great teams. Of the LT teams you've seen through YouTube and or in person, which team appears to be the best? Curious what a non-LT fan thinks.

2 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Yeah I forgot about Dville and Desoto of those years - both great teams. Of the LT teams you've seen through YouTube and or in person, which team appears to be the best? Curious what a non-LT fan thinks.

I was impressed the most with post season ‘16 with ‘08 a close 2d.  I like the ‘16 teams overall athleticism better, both were well disciplined. 

1 minute ago, ChimpGrip said:

@Horsefly LT '08 played Longview... How would a 2008 LT vs 2018 and 2019 Longview go down? Do you think either LV team was great or both just really good?

I never saw a complete '08 LT game, but if they were better than the '16 LT team, then I'd take them over LV any of those years, and a few other teams as well.  I was very impressed with the playoff version of '16 LT.  

7 hours ago, Horsefly said:

I never saw a complete '08 LT game, but if they were better than the '16 LT team, then I'd take them over LV any of those years, and a few other teams as well.  I was very impressed with the playoff version of '16 LT.  

Some interesting points on 2016 LT

- They became white-hot Week Six and never once cooled down. From Week 6 - Week 17 (State Title), they outscored opponents on average 55-8.

-Despite this staggering average, most games were over by halftime or by the end of the first quarter (no exaggeration there)

-The only close game in that period, Week 6 - Week 17, was the 40-21 win over Smithson Valley. A 19-point victory.

-LT scored what was then a state record 830 points, but again if they really wanted to, they could have smashed the 1023 point national scoring record (held by 2013 Aledo). They left hundreds of points on the table due to some games getting so out-of-hand early on. 

-Despite a relatively poor start to the first 4 games of the season, they still allowed only 201 points all year.

-The defense posted 3 shutouts

-Excluding the shutouts, they held 7 teams to 10 points or less. If you include the shutouts, 10 opponents were held to 10 points or less. 10 out of 16 teams! Not bad.

-Fielded one of the best group of receivers you'll ever see at the high school level. You had some guys who were tall, mismatch-types. Others who were fast and or physical, and then the physical freak who could run like Antonio Brown and make circus catches like Randy Moss (Garrett Wilson).

-LT fielded a future SEC RB

-QB Charlie Brewer set a national record of completion percentage in a season

-Backup QB was no slouch, threw for 10 touchdowns in 2016 and is playing D1 ball now

-They gave Westlake their two worst losses in school history, 49-7 and 51-3 (100-10 !!!).  And this was a Sam Ehlinger Westlake team.

-Beat 6A DII runner-up Cibolo Steele

-2016 LT was the most talented LT team ever based on number of guys to sign letters of intent

-Beat teams in the playoffs by a greater average margin than 2018 North Shore (will double check this)

-Yeah they had a loss, so did 2011 Alabama, 2007 New England, and the famous 1985 Chicago Bears.

The above is why I think that, in their prime (Week 6 and on), 2016 LT can play with any team of all time. 2016 LT vs 2015 Katy and other greats would make for instant classics.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Some interesting points on 2016 LT

- They became white-hot Week Six and never once cooled down. From Week 6 - Week 17 (State Title), they outscored opponents on average 55-8.

-Despite this staggering average, most games were over by halftime or by the end of the first quarter (no exaggeration there)

-The only close game in that period, Week 6 - Week 17, was the 40-21 win over Smithson Valley. A 19-point victory.

-LT scored what was then a state record 830 points, but again if they really wanted to, they could have smashed the 1023 point national scoring record (held by 2013 Aledo). They left hundreds of points on the table due to some games getting so out-of-hand early on. 

-Despite a relatively poor start to the first 4 games of the season, they still allowed only 201 points all year.

-The defense posted 3 shutouts

-Excluding the shutouts, they held 7 teams to 10 points or less. If you include the shutouts, 10 opponents were held to 10 points or less. 10 out of 16 teams! Not bad.

-Fielded one of the best group of receivers you'll ever see at the high school level. You had some guys who were tall, mismatch-types. Others who were fast and or physical, and then the physical freak who could run like Antonio Brown and make circus catches like Randy Moss (Garrett Wilson).

-LT fielded a future SEC RB

-QB Charlie Brewer set a national record of completion percentage in a season

-Backup QB was no slouch, threw for 10 touchdowns in 2016 and is playing D1 ball now

-They gave Westlake their two worst losses in school history, 49-7 and 51-3 (100-10 !!!).  And this was a Sam Ehlinger Westlake team.

-Beat 6A DII runner-up Cibolo Steele

-2016 LT was the most talented LT team ever based on number of guys to sign letters of intent

-Beat teams in the playoffs by a greater average margin than 2018 North Shore (will double check this)

-Yeah they had a loss, so did 2011 Alabama, 2007 New England, and the famous 1985 Chicago Bears.

The above is why I think that, in their prime (Week 6 and on), 2016 LT can play with any team of all time. 2016 LT vs 2015 Katy and other greats would make for instant classics.

All good stuff, but what overall team was better ‘16 or ‘08?  

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Hard for me to say that any team is better than 2008 since its my favorite team. 

I think 2008 LT was great, but my first choice in all-time match-ups would be 2016.

That's about as precise as I can get 😁

2009 was a really good team too. As was 2011 and 2015. 

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Here's the deal with 2008 LT - 

They're not the fastest, most physical and or talented team ever. But they were very much like the Patriots in many ways. Few super star players, not super fast nor flashy, but just a overall really good f'n football team. 

Great QB, fundamentally sound, great coaches, receivers who run quick, precise routes, and most of all, everyone does their job. Again, not a very flashy team - but you watch them closely and realize that they were a very good football team. They did all the little things right. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/15/2020 at 11:43 PM, ChimpGrip said:

They're not the fastest, most physical and or talented team ever.

It's an honor to be able to clown this team with two different names.

This statement is gold: They're not the fastest, most physical or talented team.

Yeah, no shit.

But somehow they're still one of the best teams of all-time?

🤡