The greatest drops in the quality of a classification from one year to the next..

badrouter

58 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Texas Tech? They scored 16 points against winless kansas

Did you even look at the scores before that comment nolebullshit?

They were probably the 4th or 5th highest scoring college football team in the state of Texas THIS week

You must be too young to get the reference. Hawaii and Texas Tech were teams who passed the ball every single down. Like Florida does now 

• Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

You must be too young to get the reference. Hawaii and Texas Tech were teams who passed the ball every single down. Like Florida does now 

I'm fully aware of their past resume as pass happy teams 

Still a very dated reference no bulls

Regardless it's not the what if trophy, the Heisman is and should be judged by on the field product and if anything if we aren't even 100% sure Jones is the best player on his team how the hell can he be the best player in the country and win the Heisman

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

I'm fully aware of their past resume as pass happy teams 

Still a very dated reference no bulls

Regardless it's not the what if trophy, the Heisman is and should be judged by on the field product and if anything if we aren't even 100% sure Jones is the best player on his team how the hell can he be the best player in the country and win the Heisman

He shares the touches with studs. And he still puts up numbers that Trask does. He has a better defense than Florida which means when they get up big, he’s out. Jones doesn’t play in the fourth quarter to pile up statistics. Trask plays all the time and they pass it every single down. Of course he’s gonna have eye popping numbers. They beat Tennessee 31-19. He gets to play every down. 

Jones had his best receiver out for the season weeks ago. Trask is playing that Mike Leach Washington State offense. That’s more updated for you 

Jones threw it 31 times against TN in a blowout. Had no passing TDs because the nations leader had 3 on the ground. 

• Thumbs Down 1

30 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

He shares the touches with studs. And he still puts up numbers that Trask does. He has a better defense than Florida which means when they get up big, he’s out. Jones doesn’t play in the fourth quarter to pile up statistics. Trask plays all the time and they pass it every single down. Of course he’s gonna have eye popping numbers. They beat Tennessee 31-19. He gets to play every down. 

Jones had his best receiver out for the season weeks ago. Trask is playing that Mike Leach Washington State offense. That’s more updated for you 

Jones threw it 31 times against TN in a blowout. Had no passing TDs because the nations leader had 3 on the ground. 

By your logic AJ mccarron should have gotten the Heisman because he could have gotten better numbers if there wasn't Eddie Lacy and TJ Yeldon to hand the ball off 

Just because there is someone else on offense getting good touches it doesn't mean that Jones deserves the Heisman

7 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

By your logic AJ mccarron should have gotten the Heisman because he could have gotten better numbers if there wasn't Eddie Lacy and TJ Yeldon to hand the ball off 

Just because there is someone else on offense getting good touches it doesn't mean that Jones deserves the Heisman

No that doesn’t compare because Mac Jones is putting up Heisman numbers in spite of having to share the ball with an All-American running back. 

Mac Jones is third in passing yards right behind Trask, and Trask has about 70 more attempts. 

Trask is 7th in attempts and Jones is 29th. But they have almost the same amount of yards. 

The SEC title game might decide the Heisman 

• Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

No that doesn’t compare because Mac Jones is putting up Heisman numbers in spite of having to share the ball with an All-American running back. 

Mac Jones is third in passing yards right behind Trask, and Trask has about 70 more attempts. 

Trask is 7th in attempts and Jones is 29th. But they have almost the same amount of yards. 

Besides the fact they are probably equal in talent 

Hell McCarron might actually have been better but he never really was asked to light up the scoreboard, you will see when some stupid NFL franchise thinks Mac Jones will be their savior and he has to go to a team with minimal weapons and an average offensive line and he turns into Jamarcus Russell, one thing I'll give Jones credit for is he is tough enough to get thrown around in the turf so he might actually make it though a full season of being hit like a piñata 

3 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Heisman isn't the what if title and most teams Florida plays doesn't have to prepare for the run because they know Trask is gonna pass it most downs 

When playing bama you have to put enough people in the box to defend against Harris so it opens up the coverages a bit in the passing game making it easier to gain yards not to mention Trask doesn't have close to the weapons that Jones has to throw to and bama also has a better OL

Bama has an offensive line ranked 9th

UF has an offensive line ranked 76th

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-ranking-all-127-fbs-offensive-lines-through-cfb-week-13

So no Jones has done nothing in my eyes to justify getting the Heisman over Trask

On 12/5/2020 at 6:50 AM, Atticus Finch said:

By the way, the subject of this thread is ridiculous.

Not only is 7A the toughest classification based on calpreps average rating (like last year) but it hasn't had a bigger decline than 8A.

I don't acknowledge calpreps as credible. Fact is, there's MAYBE one other team in 7A that could end up considered a national Top 25-ish caliber team. And that team needed their Nose Guard to carry across the game-winning TD on a sort of fake FG as time expired. 

Anyway, I do think Bloomingdale is dangerous for STA. Straight up, they can not match STA in talent. But, they do have a lot of talent. What makes them so dangerous is their propensity for trick plays and trick schemes on defense. This team may be the greatest trick play team of all-time. Defensively, they will move around a lot and give different looks. They are stout against the run, a little vulnerable through the air.

I don't think either team will be able to consistently run the ball. STA would be advised to be aggressive throwing the ball, especially on first down. If they go with a conservative, run-oriented gameplan, I think B-Dale will keep them in check. On defense, STA's biggest headache will be the playmaking ability Bloomingdale has, both due to talent and innovative play calling. For example, I believe Bloomingdale WRs completed three passes in the Lakeland game, one for a TD (called back on technicality), all while nine different players had rushing attempts. In the last game against TBT, the aforementioned Nose Guard had a TD catch and a TD carry. Lots of wild shit from this team. I think it may be the most "interesting" opponent to scout in recent memory, interested to get your take if/when you take a closer look at them. 

3 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Anyway, I do think Bloomingdale is dangerous for STA. Straight up, they can not match STA in talent. But, they do have a lot of talent. What makes them so dangerous is their propensity for trick plays and trick schemes on defense. This team may be the greatest trick play team of all-time. Defensively, they will move around a lot and give different looks. They are stout against the run, a little vulnerable through the air.

I watched them for the first time this weekend and I like their offense but their defense isn't any good.

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

I watched them for the first time this weekend and I like their offense but their defense isn't any good.

I think you're going to find that you're selling their defense short. They're better on defense than Venice, for example. It's actually a bit of a "defense first" program. You're not going to want to end up in a game where you're counting on them being weak on defense. And STA's QB is not as good, at least not yet, as TBT's David Wright, who I assume is who you watched B-dale play.

19 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I think you're going to find that you're selling their defense short. They're better on defense than Venice, for example.

You seem to ignore physicality when you make these pronouncements.

They're small. They got pushed around. The judgments you're making are being made when they're lined up against inferior fronts.

A lot of teams have defenses better than Venice.

26 minutes ago, badrouter said:

It's actually a bit of a "defense first" program.

They gave up 57 points to Venice in the playoffs two years ago.

Last year they gave up 36 points to Lakeland and 34 points to Plant City.

On Friday they gave up 33 points to Tampa Bay Tech.

What exactly are you comparing their "defense first" program to? They've been getting gashed against anybody who's remotely good on offense.

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

You seem to ignore physicality when you make these pronouncements.

They're small. They got pushed around. The judgments you're making are being made when they're lined up against inferior fronts.

A lot of teams have defenses better than Venice.

Size on defense in H.S. is one of the most overrated characteristics. I look more at performance. Teams aren't really running the ball on them. They aren't actually getting pushed around.

STA scored 15 offensive points against Venice. So, this week they move up a notch in difficulty, and will do it on the road. STA isn't going to want to sling it 30 times with Agiye Hall and Phillip Riley in the secondary.

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

They gave up 57 points to Venice in the playoffs two years ago.

Last year they gave up 36 points to Lakeland and 34 points to Plant City.

On Friday they gave up 33 points to Tampa Bay Tech.

What exactly are you comparing their "defense first" program to? They've been getting gashed against anybody who's remotely good on offense.

You'll find out Friday. The worst results from previous seasons don't mean much. Bloomingdale has received a boatload of key transfers. Covid likely caused all of the transfers to be somewhat overlooked. 

1 minute ago, Atticus Finch said:

Big mistake.

Gotta look at both.

Performance + physicality

Physicality is not the same thing as size. The single most important trait in H.S. defenses is speed/quickness. And then technique and nastiness. It often takes players into college and beyond to really take advantage of size on defense.

5 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Physicality is not the same thing as size. The single most important trait in H.S. defenses is speed/quickness. And then technique and nastiness. It often takes players into college and beyond to really take advantage of size on defense.

I can give you maybe one team that ran out 9 defensive backs and 2 defensive lineman in their starting 11 and were close to elite on defense and that's Cocoa 2009-2012ish.

Bloomingdale isn't close to that good on defense and they'll need to be in order to overcome the physicality difference they're going to see.