The greatest drops in the quality of a classification from one year to the next..

badrouter

Class 7A in Florida from 2019-2020 is surely on the list. In 2019, it was really good. You had a stout Edgewater team, knocking off a really good Armwood team, which beat a Lakeland team loaded with major prospects all on one side of the bracket. Both Armwood and Edgewater played road games against two of Georgia's best teams, and more than held their own in both. Lakeland spent all year nationally ranked and was as or more loaded than 99.8% of the teams in the country. And STA, which traveled to get wins over De La Salle and unbeaten St. Louis, was the eventual top dawg coming out of the South.

In 2020, STA has played a handful of games, which included a home loss to Cardinal Gibbons and struggles against Tru Academy and American Heritage. And yet, they are probably the most prohibitive favorite to win 7A in memory. That's because the rest of 7A is dogshit. Edgewater is 6-2, having been blown out by a Jones team that has one-point wins over Wekiva and Apopka. Armwood finished 5-4, losing twice to Valrico Bloomingdale. Lakeland fielded their worst team since 2003, playing small and slow linebackers and failing to be competitive on defense in three separate games. 

Bloomingdale is still undefeated, with by far its best ever team. But, they are suspect in the trenches and lack truly elite wins (even if the names of teams they've beat are strong). Venice was criminally overrated by this writer, and are staring at the same kind of blowout to STA they've had the last couple of seasons.

I HOPE much of this can be blamed on the 'Rona! 

22 hours ago, badrouter said:

Class 7A in Florida from 2019-2020 is surely on the list. In 2019, it was really good. You had a stout Edgewater team, knocking off a really good Armwood team, which beat a Lakeland team loaded with major prospects all on one side of the bracket. Both Armwood and Edgewater played road games against two of Georgia's best teams, and more than held their own in both. Lakeland spent all year nationally ranked and was as or more loaded than 99.8% of the teams in the country. And STA, which traveled to get wins over De La Salle and unbeaten St. Louis, was the eventual top dawg coming out of the South.

In 2020, STA has played a handful of games, which included a home loss to Cardinal Gibbons and struggles against Tru Academy and American Heritage. And yet, they are probably the most prohibitive favorite to win 7A in memory. That's because the rest of 7A is dogshit. Edgewater is 6-2, having been blown out by a Jones team that has one-point wins over Wekiva and Apopka. Armwood finished 5-4, losing twice to Valrico Bloomingdale. Lakeland fielded their worst team since 2003, playing small and slow linebackers and failing to be competitive on defense in three separate games. 

Bloomingdale is still undefeated, with by far its best ever team. But, they are suspect in the trenches and lack truly elite wins (even if the names of teams they've beat are strong). Venice was criminally overrated by this writer, and are staring at the same kind of blowout to STA they've had the last couple of seasons.

I HOPE much of this can be blamed on the 'Rona! 

Is Niceville any good? Will they be able to take out Edgewater? 

1 hour ago, Omaha Vol said:

Is Niceville any good? Will they be able to take out Edgewater? 

I don't really know. I see Niceville needed double overtime to beat Buchholz.  So, Niceville isn't anything special. But, last year on the road they only trailed Edgewater by a missed extra point with 3 minutes to play.

Neither is a threat to STA this year.

Fun night of games tonight. NFHS robo-cam still stinks sometimes, but still glad I had the subscription tonight.

STA-Venice: STA wins 29-8. Sorry, @Atticus Finch, I watched the whole game, save for each team's first TD. Venice's QB DOES deserve a lot of credit for what he tried to do tonight, and I think he may indeed be the best Venice QB STA has faced. They literally put the game on his shoulders, going 5-wide on 99% of plays. STA generally had LIGHTNING quick pressure on him, and he hung in all night. He did hurry some throws, but also had several drops. I don't think anyone watches that game objectively and comes away saying it was the QB that was solely responsible for the stat line. And, I also think it was Venice's best defense. I can't imagine anyone at STA is happy with the running game tonight. STA scored 15 points with its offense, got an "oops, I think I just blocked a punt" TD, and a 100 yard pick six. Regardless, STA was too much overall. But, they did not embarrass Venice.

Edgewater beat Mitchell 28-21. Great game. Edgewater: not a great team.

I only caught the last few minutes of Bloomingdale-Tech. OMG. Maybe the best last 3-4 minutes of a game in Florida HS history. I mean I think it's in the running with STA-Lakeland 2006.  I'm short on time, so can't go into great detail. But, let's just cover the last two plays: Bloomingdale, down 33-30, has a single-digit number of seconds remaining. QB scrambles, hits a big pass down to the ~4 yard-line with a second left. B-dale lines up to kick the game tying FG. Tech jumps offsides. Ball goes to the 2. B-Dale suddenly shifts into a swinging gate-type formation. Direct snaps it to an upback, who plunges over for the walk-off, game-winning TD! Wow!

I now do think Bloomingdale has the manpower to hang in with STA. And they have the home-field advantage. Also, they appear to be a team with a knack for winning close games. No predictions on next week's game. But, I will be an interested observer!

10 hours ago, badrouter said:

Fun night of games tonight. NFHS robo-cam still stinks sometimes, but still glad I had the subscription tonight.

STA-Venice: STA wins 29-8. Sorry, @Atticus Finch, I watched the whole game, save for each team's first TD. Venice's QB DOES deserve a lot of credit for what he tried to do tonight, and I think he may indeed be the best Venice QB STA has faced. They literally put the game on his shoulders, going 5-wide on 99% of plays. STA generally had LIGHTNING quick pressure on him, and he hung in all night. He did hurry some throws, but also had several drops. I don't think anyone watches that game objectively and comes away saying it was the QB that was solely responsible for the stat line. And, I also think it was Venice's best defense. I can't imagine anyone at STA is happy with the running game tonight. STA scored 15 points with its offense, got an "oops, I think I just blocked a punt" TD, and a 100 yard pick six. Regardless, STA was too much overall. But, they did not embarrass Venice.

Great because my contention was never that the QB would be solely responsible for anything. I said they'd lose like they always do and that's what happened.

And no thrashing of Venice would be complete without some whining from Cryin' John Peacock.

Aquinas tops Venice to claim 7A-Region 4 championship

“Man, the kids played hard and I’m proud of them,” Peacock said. "Obviously, we were outmanned. We were playing against a team that is the South Florida All-Stars. I promise you one thing ... they might have a better roster, but their kids didn’t play hard like our kids.”

😭

🤡

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Is he wrong?

Are American Heritage, Cardinal Gibbons, Chaminade, Deerfield Beach, Central, Northwestern, Booker T. Washington, and Columbus all South Florida all-star teams?

Because all of them would kill Venice.

Seems strange that there would be so many all-star teams in one area.

It doesn't require an all-star team to kill Venice.

Peacock is just a whiner. It's been proven over many years

South Florida is the most fertile recruiting area in the country. Houston, Dallas, NO, SoCal all up there too. 

So by default there will be tons of teams with tons of studs. 

The issue is resources and money and not being able to invest in coaching and coaching staffs.  That has always been the Achilles’ heel of Florida teams on a national scale 

That is why STA has been the most consistent team for a long time.  Their athletic program from top to bottom is the best.  They invest in the resources and coaching. 

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Jacksonville Jones should win the Heisman! They are gonna give it to Trask, but Jones has to share the stats with his All American running back while Trask plays Arena ball

Trask doesn't have the weapons Jones has and Trask is a far better QB

Mac Jones is overrated and will be exposed at nfl level 

• Thumbs Down 1

24 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Trask doesn't have the weapons Jones has and Trask is a far better QB

Mac Jones is overrated and will be exposed at nfl level 

Thumbs down for throwing useless info about Heisman criteria. 

Jones’ RB leads the entire country in touchdowns and is top 20 in yards. 

Trask plays for Hawaii and Texas Tech. Lol 

• Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Thumbs down for throwing useless info about Heisman criteria. 

Jones’ RB leads the entire country in touchdowns and is top 20 in yards. 

Trask plays for Hawaii and Texas Tech. Lol 

Trask has to keep throwing because the gators aren't consistently good at running the ball 

What the hell does Jones having a good RB have anything to do with anything?

There have been plenty of QBs who could have had more passing yards if they were more pass oriented but the Heisman isn't the what if trophy and giving a overrated sub-skilled QB like Mac Jones the Heisman it would forever devalue the trophy and every great player that previously held it