preview on AZ

HSFBfan

30 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Higley's shot at taking down Saguaro disappeared when Jason Harris got injured (out for regular season).  I never liked their chances to begin with as they are a Charmin-soft, offense-first/second/third unit that was a sub-.500 team just two seasons ago.  When I talk about Saguaro's lack of competition that's what I mean-the two biggest challengers (Higley and Salpointe) in their division were five win ball clubs not that long ago, and coming up with a preseason 4A top ten is excruciatingly difficult because there's all of six ball clubs that return bodies from successful 2016 seasons while the rest of the division is a series of teams that were good last year that return "jack" and "squat" or teams that return a ton of bodies but were cannon fodder.  Arizona 4A is an absolutely dreadful division once you look past Saguaro.

His ninth "story" is just painful to read-let's name three 5A clubs with great o-lines then dedicate three sentences to Centennial's o-line (which FWIW is also a 5A program).  If you wanted to talk about Centennial's o-line why didn't you make that "story" about them, or in the very least include them among the three 5A teams that will have among the state's biggest and best lines?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Higley's shot at taking down Saguaro disappeared when Jason Harris got injured (out for regular season).  I never liked their chances to begin with as they are a Charmin-soft, offense-first/second/third unit that was a sub-.500 team just two seasons ago.  When I talk about Saguaro's lack of competition that's what I mean-the two biggest challengers (Higley and Salpointe) in their division were five win ball clubs not that long ago, and coming up with a preseason 4A top ten is excruciatingly difficult because there's all of six ball clubs that return bodies from successful 2016 seasons while the rest of the division is a series of teams that were good last year that return "jack" and "squat" or teams that return a ton of bodies but were cannon fodder.  Arizona 4A is an absolutely dreadful division once you look past Saguaro.

His ninth "story" is just painful to read-let's name three 5A clubs with great o-lines then dedicate three sentences to Centennial's o-line (which FWIW is also a 5A program).  If you wanted to talk about Centennial's o-line why didn't you make that "story" about them, or in the very least include them among the three 5A teams that will have among the state's biggest and best lines?

I'd be interested in your opinion on AZ top 10.   I'm not sold on Saguaro either btw.   They get to prove it a bit at least this year at least.

3 hours ago, 954gator said:

I'd be interested in your opinion on AZ top 10.   I'm not sold on Saguaro either btw.   They get to prove it a bit at least this year at least.

I had posted this a while back; I'm probably not as high on Hamilton now following their hazing scandal, but with three Power Five commits on offense already they are still very talented.  Red Mountain lost their quarterback (Duffy) to baseball so I probably push them out of my "others" category; if you're looking to round-out a top ten I'd probably plug in Pinnacle (junior QB is an OU commit and have good experience on the lines) or Desert Vista (have some strong talent back on defense) into their spot.  On my #2 Zidane Thomas is back at Centennial and is awaiting to hear whether he'll be eligible in the team's first five games.

1.  Chandler-Jacob Conover has two talented, experienced receivers coming back in Gunner Romney and Jarick Caldwell, while current sophomore Decarlos Brooks averaged 8.5 per carry as TJ Greene's understudy.  Conover, Brooks, and linebacker Zach Bowers are the standouts of a 2015 frosh class that some of described the best in recent state history.

2.  Centennial-Four starters on the o-line return to protect returning quarterback Ruben Beltran.  Corner Dominique Hampton and 'backer Jordan Ware are back after stellar junior seasons, as is undersized-yet-tough nose Anthony Campbell.  If 2000-yard rusher Zidane Thomas migrates back to Arizona the Coyotes will push Chandler for top honors in the state.

3.  Mountain Pointe-Gregg Bragg rushed for just shy of 900 yards in five games before a season-ending injury, and junior-to-be Nick Wallerstedt got several starts under center after similar injuries took down the Pride's quarterback.  Matthew Pola-Mao and Shomari Hayes are a pair of athletic space-eaters on the defensive line; anyone who gets past them will have to deal with 'backer Jacob Olsen and DB Kenny Churchwell.

4.  Perry-Brock Purdy beat out a host of other great signal-callers when selected as an All-Arizona pick, and he's surrounded by other great athletes in the backfield in D'Shayne James, Jalen Young, and Kenny Fultz.  Colby Dickie was a 1000-yard receiver last year, while senior classmates Cutter Hatch and Javy Reynolds look to shore-up the defense.

5.  Desert Edge-Rocky Perez is a two-time 1000-yard rusher, and has 4/5 of a brutish offensive line coming back.  Nassir Sims and Dylan Scovil give the Scorpions an interior d-line that rivals Mountain Pointe's, and linebacker Milton Rodgers was the team's leading tackler as a sophomore.

Others:Saguaro-Great skill players led by quarterback Max Massingale and running back Josiah Bradley will have to compensate for graduation-depleted lines and defense.  Still best in Arizona 4A.

Hamilton-Uncharacteristic seven-win season did see the Huskies start their first non-senior at quarterback since 2003; he'll be back along with 1200-yard rusher Jawhar Jordan.  

Red Mountain-Quarterback Austin Duffy and multi-faceted back Lance Lawson are a great foundation for a potentially explosive offense.

Cienega-Arizona commit Jamarye Joiner is back after leading the Bobcats to a 12-0 start and mythical Southern Arizona championship; junior-to-be Terrell Hayward was his second-favorite receiver in 2016

• Like 4

17 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

If Saguaro is looking at 6th in Zona,  East will have reserves starting the 3rd quarter and enjoying the new Saguaro turf field.  

Two things keep me from making that same prediction-the temperature around kickoff will be near 110 which certainly suits Saguaro, and the small, ever-present notion that I just may be wrong about those guys.  With their size and physicality East is a team that historically (on paper) appears to be cut from the same cloth of teams that have given historically given Saguaro fits, and the first three games for the Sabercats this year set up similarly to what their 2015 squad saw (opener against an overmatched opponent that stirs-up "same ol' Saguaro" sentiment, then two contests against foes that will actually punch-back and stagger the champs). 

• Like 1