RIP Ara Parseghian

HSFBfan

Sucks getting old. I remember thinking I was getting old when I saw the kids of childhood hero's I used to root for playing. Now I feel ancient my childhood hero's are dying. I also remember giving my dad shit for looking thru the obituary's in the morning paper. Now I do the same, looking for friends...man it sucks getting old.  

• Like 1

Just now, thc6795 said:

Sucks getting old. I remember thinking I was getting old when I saw the kids of childhood hero's I used to root for playing. Now I feel ancient my childhood hero's are dying. I also remember giving my dad shit for looking thru the obituary's in the morning paper. Now I do the same, looking for friends...man it sucks getting old.  

sucks more tho when you in your 20s and so and you look through the obits and see your friends 

• Like 1

Every year I go to a game where the Rockies play the Reds, with a couple brothers and another acquaintance from back in Cincy who played for Parseghian at ND. For some reason at the game this year he said he'd like to meet up with Parseghian to see who could kick who's ass, just for old time's sake. He was kidding, of course (but many a truth are told in jest), and didn't realize Ara was about to pass. Although he has his national championship ring from ND, he also has some interesting insight into his time in South Bend. Funny dude, even at 70.

I have great memories of watching Lindsey Nelson on Sunday mornings with the recap of the Parseghian-coached ND game from the day before. "The Midshipmen failed to sustain a drive, and punted the ball away to the Irish." Lots of opponents failed to sustain drives against Parseghian teams.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Every year I go to a game where the Rockies play the Reds, with a couple brothers and another acquaintance from back in Cincy who played for Parseghian at ND. For some reason at the game this year he said he'd like to meet up with Parseghian to see who could kick who's ass, just for old time's sake. He was kidding, of course (but many a truth are told in jest), and didn't realize Ara was about to pass. Although he has his national championship ring from ND, he also has some interesting insight into his time in South Bend. Funny dude, even at 70.

I have great memories of watching Lindsey Nelson on Sunday mornings with the recap of the Parseghian-coached ND game from the day before. "The Midshipmen failed to sustain a drive, and punted the ball away to the Irish." Lots of opponents failed to sustain drives against Parseghian teams.

AHHH! ..Lindsey Nelson... another jewel from the past.

IMO - AP Should be at the top of the list of legendary coaches. His resume at ND of course is phenomenal but its what he did at Northwestern that says it all.