East UT 35, Saguaro AZ 14 - Final

ECHS05

Heck I even knew they they were F'd.  lol.  I sure wasn't ranking them or pushing their agenda beyond some humor and wishful thinking.   They were in better shape when a Texas private school and a non top 25 SoCal preseason squad (name escapes me at the moment) were in the schedule.  Liberty and East was not the plan initially and rightly so.  

Made it out to to take in the festivities last night, some thoughts...

-East is big, strong, physical and relatively disciplined; what they are not is athletic beyond a couple bodies.  Their overall pass defense is lacking, both with respect to the pass rush and secondary play-they were consistently burned deep by the Sabercats' passing game, and I think a larger, deeper program that was able to muster the same success through the air would have pulled away from the Leopards.  At the same time East did overcome three lost fumbles and a pick to win convincingly, and even in limited numbers their fan contingent brought the noise.  

-On the Saguaro end this was a text book example of what happens when they venture to a play a legit large-school power; they hang tough for a good chunk of the game before eventually succumbing to both depth and the elements.  This game played out rather similarly to the 'Cats last venture into the Arizona big-school ranks in 2015 when they exhibit early poise and explosiveness but completely fade away as the game gets ugly.  Along with that, they are a team that wins games 40+ yards at a time-that is, they rely very heavily on the big play offensively and struggle against bigger teams when those big plays merely set them up with field position versus points.  Even when East did get burnt on defense they managed to keep Saguaro out of the end zone and forced the 'Cats to execute in more enclosed quarters; even with several receivers being listed at 6-3 or taller (yet somehow looking smaller than East players listed at six-foot-tall...) they struggled in those situations.

-While Coach Mohns is just short of being a public relations virtuoso I hate how he runs his program-when you're down by three scores with less than two minutes left in a game that is pretty meaningless in the big picture it's just not smart to be going for it on fourth-and-six in your territory with all of your starters in as frankly you're going to do that one too many times and end up with one of your starters done for the year.  I bring this up because this is not a one-off scenario as he made a similar decision in the final minute of a game Saguaro was down in.  I can understand a mentality that you play to the final snap, at the same time I see a lot more downsides to the practice than I do benefits.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

East 35 Saguaro 14.  Final

Chandler 35  Pinnacle 28  Final (OT)  Jimbo you called this one.  Almost.   

Chandler started the game without their all-star quarterback, lost two linebackers, a safety, and their BYU-commit receiver; they also committed 130+ yards in penalties and with all of that they still led 28-14 in the fourth quarter before Pinnacle rallied.  Pinnacle has been trying to get a win over one of the elite Arizona programs (non-Saguaro division) and I have to think this was as great of an opportunity they'll get.  While they still have shots at Centennial and Mountain Pointe in the next three weeks that are likely easier hills to climb last night's events seemed to come together perfectly for Pinnacle to get that long-coveted program-defining win they couldn't get it done.  They continue to be the program that has everything in place to be one of the state's elite that does not get it done when they should.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Chandler started the game without their all-star quarterback, lost two linebackers, a safety, and their BYU-commit receiver; they also committed 130+ yards in penalties and with all of that they still led 28-14 in the fourth quarter before Pinnacle rallied.  Pinnacle has been trying to get a win over one of the elite Arizona programs (non-Saguaro division) and I have to think this was as great of an opportunity they'll get.  While they still have shots at Centennial and Mountain Pointe in the next three weeks that are likely easier hills to climb last night's events seemed to come together perfectly for Pinnacle to get that long-coveted program-defining win they couldn't get it done.  They continue to be the program that has everything in place to be one of the state's elite that does not get it done when they should.  

Pinnacle defense could not get a stop when they needed it. The school has a ton of very good athletes but like you said needs a program defining win. I still think they can be a wildcard in 6A.

8 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Were the other 4 listed besides Conover injured vs. IMG or prior?   

3 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

My understanding is they were injured during the game with Pinnacle.  I know at least two (Romney and safety Gunner Maldonado) were injured during game play last night.

Gotcha... thanks for the info.   I wonder if Conover will get the green light next week vs. Mountain Pointe (as well  as the other kids listed). What Pinnacle started Mountain Pointe may finish.