Horsefly' s TXHSFB 6A wk 2 rankings

Horsefly

I'm only including teams that have played so far.  Houston should be back in the race his week and next, but until then they won't ge included.

allen- from all accounts they have a solid defense with an outstanding run game.  They willl need to be more balanced as they will  go up against other state level teams that can contain a run game.

sachse-this team was my favorite coming into the season and have not disappointed winning their 1st 2 games 96-6.  They have on paper the best DL and the best dual threat QB in his class.  Plenty of talent.  This is a team that has all the pieces to make this season special.

Judson-they return 14+ starters and have an explosive offense led by Julon Williams. They need to shore up their defense as the season progresses.  Consistency will be the key for them,  but in week 2, they are one of the states better teams,

Desoto-struggled week 1, but rebounded well week 2.  Another team with athletes and confidence from being a defending state champ.  If this team continues to improve, they will be a force come playoffs

duncanville-one word for the success of this program... Reggie Samples.  He turned around both Dallas Lincoln and skyline into powerhouses and has better facilities and a support network at duncanville.  They have dominated both of their games.   Look for them to be a force as the season progresses.  He also has some stud underclassmen too.

westlake-a solid program that will rely on their workhorse and Wisconsin RB commit Nakia Watson.  6'1 and 225 he's a load.  But their success will depend on him and staying healthy.

mansfield-another south Dallas area team with speed and athleticism.  Whipped cedar hill worse than Allen did. Again, maturation and consistency is key going forward.

martin-dominated two area blue bloods in skyline and SLC.  They have plenty of offensive firepower but will need to strengthen defense going forward.

lake Travis - one of the best coaching staffs in the state, will improve and be a force with 12 sophomores in the mix.  Very good program and that will get better as the season progresses.  LT vs westlake in a few weeks will be a good one.

steele-new coach, like cedar hill.  Has a chance in Region four div two.  Unless they improve in all areas, I see another SC loss.

note.  St pius X will play 5A power college station next week.  The #1 ranked TAPPS team.  This will be an interesting game to see where the best privates rate among Texas better public schools.

i expect katy, north shore, woodlands, Lamar, ridge point and Klein collins to be in the mix of top 15 teams once their season starts.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Very good. Really want to see where you'd put Katy and The Woodlands. And even though they are 5A, I'm curious where you'd plug in Manvel. 

Right now I would not place neither team in the top 10 based on the fact they are two games behind the rest of the state.  By seasons end that advantage will decrease or be eliminated entirely.

in the preseason i had katy 2-3, manvel 9-10 and woodlands in the 11-15 range.

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Someone I deeply respect claims this T5 order:

what are its holes in your opine? Thx. 

Judson, Katy, Allen, Steele and desoto 

Steele just lost to Lake Travis who got drilled by Judson

It was a close one though

https://www.ksat.com/sports/big-game-coverage/steele-falls-to-lake-travis-on-last-second-field-goal

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Steele just lost to Lake Travis who got drilled by Judson

It was a close one though

https://www.ksat.com/sports/big-game-coverage/steele-falls-to-lake-travis-on-last-second-field-goal

Steele vs LT has been a great game the last 2 years. LT also lost to Judson last year and rebounded with the close W over Steele to go on to the championship. 

Also Under the radar video link of game 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Texasball said:

You are way too high on Manvel.  Aledo is top 15 in the state and getting better year in year out.

They have 12 starters returning (6/6) along with several blue chip transfers this season which puts them over the top.  Possibly the best RB tandem in the state: 3*** Deneric Prince 6'0 200 A&M commit and 4**** Garrison Johnson 6'0 210

id take them over Steele 

where would you rank Manvel? 

5 hours ago, Horsefly said:

They have 12 starters returning (6/6) along with several blue chip transfers this season which puts them over the top.  Possibly the best RB tandem in the state: 3*** Deneric Prince 6'0 200 A&M commit and 4**** Garrison Johnson 6'0 210

id take them over Steele 

Seeing him in person last year I bet Johnson weighs 225 or so.

14 hours ago, Horsefly said:

id take them over Steele 

Talent wise Manvel is solid but exaggerated all at the same time - still very talented - if that makes any sense.

However, playing under pressure and coaching under pressure they leave a lot to be desired.  Did you see their game vs Temple?

I ask those from Texas what else does Aledo need to prove?

When they beat John Tyler couple of years ago like big bass drum - this was a good JT team too - i stopped questioning Aledo.  Go back and look at who JT played that year and look what Aledo did to them.  This was in the regional finals or semi finals.

Aledo has beaten Highland Park, Temple, and even beat Lake Travis during their run among others over the years.

I am telling you - I was on the field this spring with Aledo and they look as good on the hoof as most all 6A schools and they have some top notch talent too.

Bottom line they have developed that program to the level of very good 6A - IMO they would top 15.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Talent wise Manvel is solid but exaggerated all at the same time - still very talented - if that makes any sense.

However, playing under pressure and coaching under pressure they leave a lot to be desired.  Did you see their game vs Temple?

I ask those from Texas what else does Aledo need to prove?

When they beat John Tyler couple of years ago like big bass drum - this was a good JT team too - i stopped questioning Aledo.  Go back and look at who JT played that year and look what Aledo did to them.  This was in the regional finals or semi finals.

Aledo has beaten Highland Park, Temple, and even beat Lake Travis during their run among others over the years.

I am telling you - I was on the field this spring with Aledo and they look as good on the hoof as most all 6A schools and they have some top notch talent too.

Bottom line they have developed that program to the level of very good 6A - IMO they would top 15.

Yep, they fell short vs temple, but looked like world beaters vs north shore.  Consistency is their issue.

aledo is a great program, we will have a good barometer when ET plays colleyville this week. Aledo handled them fairly easily.  I wish aledo would just schedule the better 6As, it would put the debate to rest.

30 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Yep, they fell short vs temple, but looked like world beaters vs north shore.  Consistency is their issue.

aledo is a great program, we will have a good barometer when ET plays colleyville this week. Aledo handled them fairly easily.  I wish aledo would just schedule the better 6As, it would put the debate to rest.

Nobody wants to play Aledo because they are small 5A.  They will play teams like Highland Park, John Tyler even Colleyville Heritage because they are all are big 5A and they all have been in the largest class.  Yet, Aledo has beat them all.

All coaches and fans love talent.  Yet, Manvel had more overall next level talent than Temple and they had more overall next level talent than Highland Park  - and Highland Park still won the title.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard...I like to add and isn't hungry.

Keep in mind when comparing scores that was the first game of the season and Aledo had 38-7 lead when they put the back ups in and gave up 2 late scores to win 38-21.

58 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Nobody wants to play Aledo because they are small 5A.  They will play teams like Highland Park, John Tyler even Colleyville Heritage because they are all are big 5A and they all have been in the largest class.  Yet, Aledo has beat them all.

All coaches and fans love talent.  Yet, Manvel had more overall next level talent than Temple and they had more overall next level talent than Highland Park  - and Highland Park still won the title.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard...I like to add and isn't hungry.

Keep in mind when comparing scores that was the first game of the season and Aledo had 38-7 lead when they put the back ups in and gave up 2 late scores to win 38-21.

Aledo can play desoto or cedar hill.  Both programs have played small 5As in the past in SOC.  And chill has also played guyer when they were 5A.  Aledo struggled with calallan last year.  I don't even think they are better than Denton Ryan.  

I still like manvel early in the year, they've beaten stout north shore and Westfield programs here recently

38 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Aledo can play desoto or cedar hill.  Both programs have played small 5As in the past in SOC.  Aledo struggled with calallan last year.  I don't even think they are better than Denton Ryan.  

I still like manvel early in the year, they've beaten stout north shore and Westfield programs here recently

Just don't sleep on Aledo and the talent. The RB only soph is one of the best in the state and they have other good talent behind him.  The QB comes from great stock of QB's who have won multiple titles "Bishop's" his dad is the QB coach and he is only Soph.  

Collectively my bet is Aledo has better OL than Manvel.  

While Manvel would have the overall better talent.  Aledo would be better coached and mentally more prepared to win game if they played.

Keep in mind that Calallen makes it tough with that Wing T offense - They run it with authority and they are overall coached very good.

I just believe everyone is always sleeping on Aledo.

9 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Just don't sleep on Aledo and the talent. The RB only soph is one of the best in the state and they have other good talent behind him.  The QB comes from great stock of QB's who have won multiple titles "Bishop's" his dad is the QB coach and he is only Soph.  

Collectively my bet is Aledo has better OL than Manvel.  

While Manvel would have the overall better talent.  Aledo would be better coached and mentally more prepared to win game if they played.

Keep in mind that Calallen makes it tough with that Wing T offense - They run it with authority and they are overall coached very good.

I just believe everyone is always sleeping on Aledo.

Aledo has a heck of a sophomore class.  I can easily see then top 10 the next few years bc they will have the matured talent to match the execution and discipline 

the sad part is in the playoffs aledo will probably not have the other 5A heavyweights in their path: manvel, temple or Ryan 

Last year 

Aledo beat Mansfield Legacy by 18

Highland park beat Legacy by 7 in 4th round of playoffs

Aledo beat Mesquite Poteet 38-14 in playoffs - Poteet had just beat Lancaster - both of these are loaded with athletes!  

Ryan beat Poteet 24-13

Highland Park beat Ryan 31-24

Temple beat Manvel and Highland Park beat Temple

In recent past history - we have seen Aledo go division 1 and beat a very solid Temple team in the title game.  We have seen Aledo beat John Tyler like they was 3a team and we seen Aledo spank Highland Park back to back years

Just telling you Aledo can beat those other 5A schools and would be tough out for the better 6A teams.

• Like 1

Little more history to remind you on how good Aledo really has been.

We discussed 2016 already. Quick recap Aledo had some wins in 2016 that shows they was easily right there with all the teams you mentioned.

2015 - the only real highlight they had was beating Mississippi State championship.

-------------------------------

Skip to 2013 first - won state div 2

Beat Highland Park 44-3 Significance - HP didn't lose again until state semifinal vs Guyer 22-16 - Guyer won State Div 1

Aledo beat very good Ennis Team 29-6

Aledo beat Brenham 38-10 in the final

--------------------------

2014 - won state beating Temple 49-45

Aledo beat Cedar Park - who lost in State final vs Ennis 38-35

Aledo beat John Tyler 44-14

Temple had beat big school playoff team Round Rock

Temple loss vs Austin Westlake 49-48 - AWL loss vs SLC 17-14 - that SLC went 13-1 and beat Trinity in close game.

John Tyler who got beat 44-14 by Aledo

JT beat Plano Sr high 30-12

JT beat Longview 41-25

JT beat Lufkin 26-24

JT loss to Ennis 30-27

Ennis won state beating Cedar Park 38-35

Bottom line going back to 2013 Aledo won state 2013, 2014, and 2016 - each of those years Aledo proved they could pretty much play against most anyone including some of the best our big schools have to offer - outside of the very elite during those years.

Forget about the ranked athletes - look at the results of games played

37 minutes ago, TheRealCAJ said:

Probably a down year in TX if Sachse is #2 in TX. I doubt that seriously...

Horsefly has put together nice ranking - based on the situation in Houston.

I would have Desoto at # 2

After that it is crap shoot.  

So hard to rank the State of Texas.

Desoto when motivated can beat anyone!

I told people that CH could struggle this year with the new HFC.

6 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Horsefly has put together nice ranking - based on the situation in Houston.

I would have Desoto at # 2

After that it is crap shoot.  

So hard to rank the State of Texas.

Desoto when motivated can beat anyone!

I told people that CH could struggle this year with the new HFC.

I'm high on sachse like you are on aledo.  Don't sleep on sachse this season.  They returned 14 starters (6-O/8-D) from a one loss team that took the woodlands to the wire last year.  Their DL and secondary are their team strengths.  They have a very balanced offense, with plenty of weapons.