Quarterback up for grabs at SJB

Ararar

St. John Bosco fans were quickly speculating that sophomore D.J. Uiagalelei might become the starting quarterback after rallying the Braves to a 21-17 victory last week.

That's entirely possible, but Coach Jason Negro insisted that all 22 starting positions are always up for grab, and quarterback is no different.

"Our job as coaches is to put our team in the best position to win regardless of position," he said Monday. "Over the next two weeks, which guy up to 22 will give us the best chance to beat Orange Lutheran. Every position in our program is an open competition from week to week, and it has been for the eight years I've been at Bosco."

Uiagalelei is known for his passing skills. Starter Re-Al Mitchell has tremendous running skills. Negro inserted Uiagalelei in the fourth quarter against St. John's with a 10-point deficit after Mitchell was intercepted twice.

"We needed a spark," he said. "We had sputtered. I felt he gave us the best opportunity to win."

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

If anything, I see them splitting time in the OLU game. This could potentially be smart because it avoids "benching" Re'al and it forces MD to have to prepare for both QBs. Even though it's not his strength, Re'al can still pass downfield so you could even try to pull some reverse-psychology stuff by bringing in Re'al and calling a bunch of pass plays while the defense is thinking "run". That said, knowing Negro's desire to win, I don't doubt for a second that he will go with DJ full time if he thinks it gives them the best chance to win.

40 minutes ago, Ararar said:

St. John Bosco fans were quickly speculating that sophomore D.J. Uiagalelei might become the starting quarterback after rallying the Braves to a 21-17 victory last week.

That's entirely possible, but Coach Jason Negro insisted that all 22 starting positions are always up for grab, and quarterback is no different.

"Our job as coaches is to put our team in the best position to win regardless of position," he said Monday. "Over the next two weeks, which guy up to 22 will give us the best chance to beat Orange Lutheran. Every position in our program is an open competition from week to week, and it has been for the eight years I've been at Bosco."

Uiagalelei is known for his passing skills. Starter Re-Al Mitchell has tremendous running skills. Negro inserted Uiagalelei in the fourth quarter against St. John's with a 10-point deficit after Mitchell was intercepted twice.

"We needed a spark," he said. "We had sputtered. I felt he gave us the best opportunity to win."