Am I the only one who thinks that Tejas prep football is an overrated joke?

ORabidOne

22 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

I fully understand why it's SOOOOOOOO popular in Tejas! SIMPLY put, fans like to see a LOTTA SCORING! And man DO THEY! Tejas coaches appear to place a vast majority of their athletes on offense! And Tejas has the FULL FLEDGED Area Football Mindset! First one to a HUNNERED WINS! At first, I just thought that I was watching a few selected teams with no DEEEfense! But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It's an EPIDEMIC of MEDIOCRITY! Either that, or they teach virtually NO tackling fundamentals! You rarely see teams come out of their base D! HELL at Colquitt, you might see four or five defensive alignments, on the same drive! 

Exhibit A! I was watching Cypus Rainch vs Allen in the State Championship, a coupla years ago! And it struck me how really ARROGANT, or STUPID the Allen coach really was! In the immortal words of Larry Munson, GET THE PICTURE! Allen was on it's own 38 yd. line, tied 7-7 in the FIRST QUARTER! And the dumb ass coach decides to go for it on FOURTH and ELEVEN, from HIS OWN thirty eight yard line! Are you SHITTIN ME? In GEORGIA, he woulda got his nuts cut off at the line of scrimmage on the play! And WHY was this a viable option? Cause Tejas prep football is a FUCKING JOKE, THAT'S WHY! His little phenom, Kyler Murray ran a SWEEP for FOURTEEN yards and a FIRST DOOOOOOWN ALLEN!xD Absolutely NO RESPECT for his opponent in the biggest game of the season! And thing IS, Cypus Rainch had beaten four or five teams to get TO the CHAMPIONSHIP game! This was the SAME Allen team, who BARELY hung on to beat Dutch Fork, S.C. 61-59 in regular season! YOU GURLS have a BUNCHA folks FOOLED!

Yes, you are a fool.

21 minutes ago, Shady12 said:

There are more very good 6A and 5A football teams in Texas than there are total football teams in Georgia. People don't realize how incredibly deep Texas is with great teams. So many that most people haven't heard of most of them, yet those teams are better than a lot of "name" teams in other states.

This is absurd crap.

Cedar HIll last year and in 2012 destroyed(Both teams were top 10 in Texas)

Aledo one of those 5A teams, and actually a champion destroyed.

Texas like every other state has their top 4 or 5 top dogs and then a team or two that matches up that with specific top team, but aren't specia themselves

In HS football on any level there are several factors that will determine the success or failure of a team. 

·         Talent – Talent can be effected by a larger pool of players to draw from, coaching and community support.

o    Over time, talent can be developed but in the case of many schools, the kids arrive with some God-given talent and that's all they have to offer.

o    Speed- In football "speed kills" and for those kids with that natural speed, it's a gift. 

o    Size- Height and weight can be a natural gift, If daddy was 6’8”, son might well be 6’8” as well, can’t develop more height, now weight can be controlled to a degree. Work out, weight training and fitness can change a player’s physique over time, if they start in Jr High then as a senior could develop into a muscle-bound specimen.

o    Skills- some have God-given skills, some can develop them. Skills can be influenced by Coaching, community support, and a winning tradition.

·         Coaching-

o    Evaluating talent, developing talent, putting talent in the right placed, managing talent (overuse can cause injuries or being tired on the field)

o    Strategy- coaches can strategize to maximize the talent they have available.

o    Most of the time a coach is gifted with only a couple of D1 level talent and the rest of the team is average, good coaches can draw the average talent up a notch or two which can make the difference.

o    Lou Holtz once said "You can't win without athletes, but you can lose with them. That is where coaching comes in"

·         Community Support- It’s a subjective intangible but when parents, school systems, bands, and money from local businesses (advertising) all work together, there are opportunities for football camps to bolster the talent and training. Crowd noise always can’t help but help a little as well as encouragement on the field.

·         Winning Tradition

o    Mojo factor, when a team just believes that they will pull it out in the end, they know if they don’t give up, “luck” will be on their side.

Anywhere in the country can produce kids with God given talent, no place has a monopoly.

I can speak about Texas more knowledgeably, a 5a level school with great participation in the football program will have 150-250 kids playing from 9th grade to 12th grade, 6a level with good participation can have 300 to 500 kids playing. The numbers will increase the odds to have more kids with the natural size and or speed at the team’s disposal. A top 6a team will have 10 to 20 kids with D1 talent.

It’s understandable for someone outside of Texas to think it’s all watered down football and yes many levels that is the case. Not every team in 6a is at the top. Having 4 teams from each district making the playoffs does in some cases put some pretty bad team into the playoffs, conversely, a district with Desoto, Cedar Hill, SGP Duncanville and Mansfield are all good teams that can go several rounds deep. They are in a hot-bed of talent and if only two went to the playoff it would be leave good team out. My preference would be to go to two teams making the playoffs. We do have 6 rounds which does weed out all of the bad teams.

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

This is absurd crap.

Cedar HIll last year and in 2012 destroyed(Both teams were top 10 in Texas)

Aledo one of those 5A teams, and actually a champion destroyed.

Texas like every other state has their top 4 or 5 top dogs and then a team or two that matches up that with specific top team, but aren't specia themselves

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say or how it has anything to do with what I said. Two good Texas teams losing or getting blown out has nothing to do with what I said.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Firefox said:

In HS football on any level there are several factors that will determine the success or failure of a team. 

·         Talent – Talent can be effected by a larger pool of players to draw from, coaching and community support.

o    Over time, talent can be developed but in the case of many schools, the kids arrive with some God-given talent and that's all they have to offer.

o    Speed- In football "speed kills" and for those kids with that natural speed, it's a gift. 

o    Size- Height and weight can be a natural gift, If daddy was 6’8”, son might well be 6’8” as well, can’t develop more height, now weight can be controlled to a degree. Work out, weight training and fitness can change a player’s physique over time, if they start in Jr High then as a senior could develop into a muscle-bound specimen.

o    Skills- some have God-given skills, some can develop them. Skills can be influenced by Coaching, community support, and a winning tradition.

·         Coaching-

o    Evaluating talent, developing talent, putting talent in the right placed, managing talent (overuse can cause injuries or being tired on the field)

o    Strategy- coaches can strategize to maximize the talent they have available.

o    Most of the time a coach is gifted with only a couple of D1 level talent and the rest of the team is average, good coaches can draw the average talent up a notch or two which can make the difference.

o    Lou Holtz once said "You can't win without athletes, but you can lose with them. That is where coaching comes in"

·         Community Support- It’s a subjective intangible but when parents, school systems, bands, and money from local businesses (advertising) all work together, there are opportunities for football camps to bolster the talent and training. Crowd noise always can’t help but help a little as well as encouragement on the field.

·         Winning Tradition

o    Mojo factor, when a team just believes that they will pull it out in the end, they know if they don’t give up, “luck” will be on their side.

Anywhere in the country can produce kids with God given talent, no place has a monopoly.

I can speak about Texas more knowledgeably, a 5a level school with great participation in the football program will have 150-250 kids playing from 9th grade to 12th grade, 6a level with good participation can have 300 to 500 kids playing. The numbers will increase the odds to have more kids with the natural size and or speed at the team’s disposal. A top 6a team will have 10 to 20 kids with D1 talent.

It’s understandable for someone outside of Texas to think it’s all watered down football and yes many levels that is the case. Not every team in 6a is at the top. Having 4 teams from each district making the playoffs does in some cases put some pretty bad team into the playoffs, conversely, a district with Desoto, Cedar Hill, SGP Duncanville and Mansfield are all good teams that can go several rounds deep. They are in a hot-bed of talent and if only two went to the playoff it would be leave good team out. My preference would be to go to two teams making the playoffs. We do have 6 rounds which does weed out all of the bad teams.

Good post. The cool thing is that you don't need much, if any D1 talent at to be a great 6A high school team. You can at least get near-elite level without it as long as all those other factors are strong (San Angelo last year). Everything else plus a bit more elite talent makes you a state champ (Lake Travis last year).

Just now, Shady12 said:

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say or how it has anything to do with what I said. Two good Texas teams losing or getting blown out has nothing to do with what I said.

You thinking that there's this insane amount of good teams is baloney. Those weren't just some good teams in Texas, those were either your top team or one of the top 5 teams in their classification in those given years. 

16 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

You thinking that there's this insane amount of good teams is baloney. Those weren't just some good teams in Texas, those were either your top team or one of the top 5 teams in their classification in those given years. 

Right. So what? Everyone loses games. Top teams losing games doesn't mean that everyone below them is terrible.  Again I'm not saying the 100th best team in Texas is going to beat Bishop Gorman or the like anyway. There are over 500 6A and 5A teams in Texas (More teams than 1A-7A in Georgia). Let's just go with 100, 20% of those. There are 100 very good football teams in Texas. To say otherwise just shows you don't know anything about Texas football. Think about Georgia with about 100 total schools in the top two classes. Imagine multiplying that number by 5 to get 500+ teams. So the top 20% of teams in Georgia expanded to there being 100 teams as good as the current top 20 teams in Georgia. Same ratio just more teams. Depth. Okay, now you understand how Texas has so many strong teams. Like I said, most people aren't going to know much about them due to sheer number of teams.

3 minutes ago, Shady12 said:

Right. So what? Everyone loses games. Top teams losing games doesn't mean that everyone below them is terrible.  Again I'm not saying the 100th best team in Texas is going to beat Bishop Gorman or the like anyway. There are over 500 6A and 5A teams in Texas (More teams than 1A-7A in Georgia). Let's just go with 100, 20% of those. There are 100 very good football teams in Texas. To say otherwise just shows you don't know anything about Texas football. 

What proof do you have that there's 100 good teams other than your opinion, cause the on the field scores don't prove that.

2 hours ago, Shady12 said:

There are more very good 6A and 5A football teams in Texas than there are total football teams in Georgia. People don't realize how incredibly deep Texas is with great teams. So many that most people haven't heard of most of them, yet those teams are better than a lot of "name" teams in other states.

This is my point with Bishop Dunne playing #1 Team in Tennessee nearly beating them even though it was Dunne's first game and Brentwoods 4th game of the season.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

What proof do you have that there's 100 good teams other than your opinion, cause the on the field scores don't prove that.

Watching Texas football for a long time and seeing how teams do against each other. Not complicated. The thought of there only being a small number of good football teams in Texas is preposterous.

7 minutes ago, Texasball said:

This is my point with Bishop Dunne playing #1 Team in Tennessee nearly beating them even though it was Dunne's first game and Brentwoods 4th game of the season.  

So what happened to Klein Oak against Notre Dame?

Those are the type of teams you prop up.

You cherry pick pick games. Let me know when Tennessee's top team is special. 

Just now, Shady12 said:

It's called an informed opinion. There's no need for bias as I've never been out thinking "gosh I want there to be a lot of good teams in Texas." I don't think in terms of "I want to look impressive to the rest of the country."

Informed opinion based on what data?

No opinion is informed without supporting evidence. Saying, "Well my two eyes tell me they're good teams"  isn't an informed opinion. 

Data of comparing scores, statistics, computer ratings and many other things in addition to watching games. You surely don't know anything about Texas ball so no sure why you're coming on so harsh. One might think that you don't like Texas football for some reason considering your lack of reason in the discussion.

6 minutes ago, Shady12 said:

Data of comparing scores, statistics, computer ratings and many other things in addition to watching games. You surely don't know anything about Texas ball so no sure why you're coming on so harsh. One might think that you don't like Texas football for some reason considering your lack of reason in the discussion.

What data, you just said from watching Texas games for a long time

You said there's at least 100 good teams in Texas, good compared to what?

Give me a list of all of these good team

Surely you can't be thinking a team like Gilmer is good.

I said that yes and you wanted more so I told you what else. I don't know anything about Gilmer, I don't follow classes below 5A closely. I'm just one guy I can't follow thousands of teams.

Good compared to what good football teams are. Teams that can compete with most teams in other states for one if that helps. For example, Plano, which according to the Maxpreps computer is the #70 team in Texas. They just beat Denton Guyer who is #33.

Just now, Shady12 said:

I said that yes and you wanted more so I told you what else. I don't know anything about Gilmer, I don't know about classes below 5A. I'm just one guy I can't follow thousands of teams.

And 5A isn't very strong going by what Texasball does(In reality there's maybe 10 teams in 5A worth a damn)

Your dominating 5A champ was beaten by 30+ points at home by an OOS team that was a top 6 team in their state. When the hell do good teams get beaten by 30+ points by non elite teams, and then run through their classification(What does that say about the rest of the classficiation?)

Just now, steeler01 said:

And 5A isn't very strong going by what Texasball does(In reality there's maybe 10 teams in 5A worth a damn)

Your dominating 5A champ was beaten by 30+ points at home by an OOS team that was a top 6 team in their state. When the hell do good teams get beaten by 30+ points by non elite teams, and then run through their classification(What does that say about the rest of the classficiation?)

For one, that's too small a sample size to make sweeping judgments on. One thing it wouldn't say is that the the rest of the class is bad. Again I'm not saying every good team is nationally elite. So stop straw manning. Anyway this won't go anywhere as you don't value the opinions of people who would know, and there's nothing anyone could tell you that would have any effect on your biased opinion.

2 minutes ago, Shady12 said:

For one, that's too small a sample size to make sweeping judgments on. One thing it wouldn't say is that the the rest of the class is bad. Again I'm not saying every good team is nationally elite. So stop straw manning. Anyway this won't go anywhere as you don't value the opinions of people who would know, and there's nothing anyone could tell you that would have any effect on your biased opinion.

You must think I started watching Texas games last year or something. I've watched your states top 10 teams plus a ton of rag tag teams since 2002(Denton Ryan, Manvel, Katy, Trinity, Ennis and their 2003 team, LaMarque, SLC, Tyler Lee, Lufkin, Longview, Allen, Plano etc.......). You name all of your top teams and I've watched them all since 2002. You're not fooling anyone. 

4 minutes ago, Shady12 said:

For one, that's too small a sample size to make sweeping judgments on. 

But that's what you and Texasball are doing. You guys use one game to prove a point about everything Texas.

Texas is no different in the middle, other than their posters talk a good talk about those middling teams.

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

So what happened to Klein Oak against Notre Dame?

Those are the type of teams you prop up.

You cherry pick pick games. Let me know when Tennessee's top team is special. 

What ever dude - That particular Klein Oak team struggled all season as you know.

However, they have had some teams that would have easily won that game..