All Saints’ Day - Krakow, Poland

golfaddict1

@Slotback Right for you especially.  

November 1st 

My daughter shared this for me and I wanted to share with the board.  They (Wife, daughter, parents in law) took a bus to the cemetery this evening.  You can imagine how difficult it is to park a car in the area, with so many visitors.  

I’m not religious, but this scene annually on November 1st is very spiritual and magical in its display to me.  I have candles lit at home since midnight.  

IMG_0587.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

I love the lights. We are Roman Catholics like most of Poland. Attended 6 pm Mass today Yesterday. We celebrate with flowers on my wife's parents graves, but the candles add a lot. My father-in-law was of Polish-Irish descent.

Wanted to share some info on my wife’s family’s church with you and also where my wife and I got married (also married in USA months prior, so all family witnessed my wife’s mistake). 😂 

http://www.mogila.cystersi.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=170

More general info for everyone else who cares…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogiła_Abbey

My son was baptized in the main church described above, while my daughter was baptized in the small wood church across the street from the monastery. 

Some photos of the church taken the other day I’ll add shortly.  

13c3dc1b-62b9-4d7e-b8b5-34878dec7171.jpeg

07039ad9-118b-4e2e-95a2-7811b4baa752.jpeg

e80f56a5-47ea-4c38-b9be-9a45f5e1c639.jpeg

d21e500e-1fd1-4dc8-a21c-7f9bd4cecfb7.jpeg

• Like 1

Some Poland solidarnosc (solidarity) history…

This young man was buried in the same cemetery as my wife’s grandparents.  

Washington Post article (and a good one) for details.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1982/10/21/polish-worker-buried-as-hero/a9b61ff5-a744-4a57-acaf-fdb6d603057d/

Someone in nearly every family in that region (Nowa Huta) worked at the large steel factory, incl my wife’s. 

Every visit that I’ve had to Krakow, I’ve walked past there (16 times I believe is the current count).  As you can see, it is a very popular visit in that cemetery.  

IMG_0575.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2023 at 2:27 PM, golfaddict1 said:

@Slotback Right for you especially.  

November 1st 

My daughter shared this for me and I wanted to share with the board.  They (Wife, daughter, parents in law) took a bus to the cemetery this evening.  You can imagine how difficult it is to park a car in the area, with so many visitors.  

I’m not religious, but this scene annually on November 1st is very spiritual and magical in its display to me.  I have candles lit at home since midnight.  

IMG_0587.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg

Thanks for the thread! My ancestral home home, dad's side, is from Krakow although I have never been there.

Also, I had forgotten it was all Saints day. I am not in the least religious but I am so steeped in in the catholic dogma that I attended weekly service and holy days either in person or virtually. I am fortunate my parish from Manhattan steams services. The music and organ is exquisite, nothing like a normal church service.

I play it on one one my better systems and it's wonderful. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Wanted to share some info on my wife’s family’s church with you and also where my wife and I got married (also married in USA months prior, so all family witnessed my wife’s mistake). 😂 

http://www.mogila.cystersi.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=170

More general info for everyone else who cares…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogiła_Abbey

My son was baptized in the main church described above, while my daughter was baptized in the small wood church across the street from the monastery. 

Some photos of the church taken the other day I’ll add shortly.  

13c3dc1b-62b9-4d7e-b8b5-34878dec7171.jpeg

07039ad9-118b-4e2e-95a2-7811b4baa752.jpeg

e80f56a5-47ea-4c38-b9be-9a45f5e1c639.jpeg

d21e500e-1fd1-4dc8-a21c-7f9bd4cecfb7.jpeg

Wow! Very impressive indeed! And the story about the The Sanctuary Of The Holy Cross Of The Cistercian Abbey In Mogiła from the first link was extremely interesting. And the Polish Renaissance painter Stanisław Samostrzelnik, mentioned in the second link sounds like a Polish Michelangelo! 

The stories had me searching through some family albums looking for names of my wife's Polish relatives to see if any of the names in the article were the same as any of her relatives. Stanislaw appeared a couple of times, and her grandmother's first name wasn't too far off from  Kazimir the Great (Casimire). 🙂

Thank you for posting this...very interesting indeed. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bormio said:

I have friends whose families were from Poland.  They always raved about the beauty of Krakow.  I have been to Prague and Budapest, but Krakow is on my must-see list.

I’ve been to Budapest, but never Prague (Praha as I call it).  I’ve been to Czech (now I guess Czechia but I hate saying it 😂).  

Krakow has an impressive large main square, but Prague’s is even bigger.   Must be some sight and hope to finally see it one visit.

Next summer maybe, depending on schedule.  But I don’t think so.  :( 

If you ever book PL, let me know for sure.  

@Slotback Right my wife arrived home yesterday afternoon.  

Some very nice food and snacks in the fridge.  :) 
Outside the fridge, fresh picked mushrooms from a forest and dried.  

Wife’s aunt shared a bottle of blessed Holy Water from a summer Pilgrimage with us.  The aunt has done 3 I believe thus far.  My MIL took in one pilgrimage with her.  
I’ll make a calendar note and we can PM in case you’re interested in anything else.  

My wife will be back in spring and hopefully the whole fam in June.  I’ll ask her before next trip actually re: blessed holy water. 

I don’t think we will, but if we do happen to fly into Warsaw, maybe we’ll figure a car route to Częstochowa (Black Madonna) @DevilDog I got your back don’t worry.  There is a store inside for purchases.  How’s your wifi?  😂   I’ll be in touch also.  Not sure a car rental is in play.  

We’ll be in Germany first then Poland then… open currently.  I’d like to see Praha finally.  I’d also like to see the trumpets playing and seeing the Black Madonna.  I’m not religious, but that gets me.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Madonna_of_Częstochowa

• Like 2