Folsom v. St. Mary's D1 SJS FINAL

ThunderRam

20 minutes ago, Pops said:

Didn’t you just say it about ‘09?

Btw, I wouldn’t blame you since they were named “team of the year” but is a good opportunity for me to bring up my favorite game ever 

I noted that Servite ended up being ranked higher by 4 of 5 polling services

But The kids were fortunate that they didn't have to play DLS that year. Very fortunate. 

10 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I noted that Servite ended up being ranked higher by 4 of 5 polling services

But The kids were fortunate that they didn't have to play DLS that year. Very fortunate. 

I think you’re mixing your personalities

looks like some Stache “coachspeak” in that 2nd paragraph 

35 minutes ago, Pops said:

I think you’re mixing your personalities

looks like some Stache “coachspeak” in that 2nd paragraph 

The Kids and parents were disappointed that they were not able to play DLS in the SBG, but I wasn't.  Told them to "Be careful what you wish for".

The feeling among the coaches was that they accomplished their ultimate goal = Winning the Pac 5.

The practices the week leading up to the SBG were very lacksidasical and fun.  The pressure was off, and the team was  enjoying one final week to be together.

In 2010 tho, Servite goal was to beat DLS.  NO question.

18 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Thunder, here is a question for you. If you had to make a bet today between Alabama vs. Ohio St., who would you take ? Based upon your method of deduction, I'm sure you are extremely disappointed that Ohio St. didn't get selected over Bama. All the arguments of why a conference champion and all,  gets nosed out by a team that can't even win their division in their own conference.  Yet most  everyone who does an  eye test would have to put the money on Bama if they played the Buckeyes. 

That's because the eye test is skewed and those people aren't smart enough to recognize it.

The Tide played and beat nobody. The reason 'the eye test' tells you that they're good is because they were facing teams like FCS Mercer, Fresno State, Colorado State and the mid/bottom tier of the SEC. FSU was supposed to be good, but they weren't. 6-6 team. The best wins were against an LSU team that lost at home to Troy and Mississippi State. Both were rather average teams that Bama struggled to beat. Bama played the equivalent of a 'Folsom' schedule and struggled against some mediocre teams, but you want to treat them like DLS and hand them a free pass because of their history and reputation.

If you've been paying any attention you'd know this isn't a typical Alabama team. I fully agree with Jessie Palmer who said that he's not sure the Tide could beat Wisconsin.

To answer your question, I would take tOSU over Bama. If you asked me that last season, I wouldn't say the same. But this season? Yes I would. The Buckeyes have the top d-line in the country. They'd shut down Bama's rush attack just like they did to Saquon Barkley and Jonathan Taylor. And we all know Bama can't sling it to win a game. The Tide's defense has been far from great the past several weeks. tOSU could score enough to beat them.

And in 2009, the eye test would have lied to you too regarding Rocklin and DLS. With their #1 QB, Rocklin was dynamic running and throwing it. They scored 21 on a Pacers defense that was bigger, faster and most athletic than DLS. Same Pacers defense that shut out State Champ Bellevue up in Seattle. But not the injury riddled version Folsom got a year later. You had to be multidimensional and very skilled to move the ball on that defense. And Rocklin's offense was. Win or lose, they'd have given DLS a helluva game.

I'll sum up by modifying something I read in a USA Today article regarding how the CFP Committee got it wrong:

Is DLS/Bama "better" than Rocklin/Ohio State? Maybe. But this isn't supposed to be a forecast, it's supposed to be a judgement on the year you've had. In the cases of Rocklin/Ohio State, they beat better teams and had the better body of work.

57 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

That's because the eye test is skewed and those people aren't smart enough to recognize it.

The Tide played and beat nobody. The reason 'the eye test' tells you that they're good is because they were facing teams like FCS Mercer, Fresno State, Colorado State and the mid/bottom tier of the SEC. FSU was supposed to be good, but they weren't. 6-6 team. The best wins were against an LSU team that lost at home to Troy and Mississippi State. Both were rather average teams that Bama struggled to beat. Bama played the equivalent of a 'Folsom' schedule and struggled against some mediocre teams, but you want to treat them like DLS and hand them a free pass because of their history and reputation.

If you've been paying any attention you'd know this isn't a typical Alabama team. I fully agree with Jessie Palmer who said that he's not sure the Tide could beat Wisconsin.

To answer your question, I would take tOSU over Bama. If you asked me that last season, I wouldn't say the same. But this season? Yes I would. The Buckeyes have the top d-line in the country. They'd shut down Bama's rush attack just like they did to Saquon Barkley and Jonathan Taylor. And we all know Bama can't sling it to win a game. The Tide's defense has been far from great the past several weeks. tOSU could score enough to beat them.

And in 2009, the eye test would have lied to you too regarding Rocklin and DLS. With their #1 QB, Rocklin was dynamic running and throwing it. They scored 21 on a Pacers defense that was bigger, faster and most athletic than DLS. Same Pacers defense that shut out State Champ Bellevue up in Seattle. But not the injury riddled version Folsom got a year later. You had to be multidimensional and very skilled to move the ball on that defense. And Rocklin's offense was. Win or lose, they'd have given DLS a helluva game.

I'll sum up by modifying something I read in a USA Today article regarding how the CFP Committee got it wrong:

Is DLS/Bama "better" than Rocklin/Ohio State? Maybe. But this isn't supposed to be a forecast, it's supposed to be a judgement on the year you've had. In the cases of Rocklin/Ohio State, they beat better teams and had the better body of work.

Ohio State got killed early in season at home against Oklahoma. Game was early in season, so we won't give it much weight as if it were played later in season.  Score was not indicative of how badly they were beaten. The big 10 almost always is extremely overated as a whole, just like Big 12, and sometimes like sec. Having Penn St. ranked as high as #2 was pure fools gold, and I kept telling people to wait and see their exposure. Michigan,  Michigan St.,  all fools gold. They should not have been in the top 25. Wisconsin played no one, thus the unbeaten record before  game with Ohio St. Ohio St. getting mauled by Iowa should never happen to a playoff team, especially later in season. Sec turned out to be a great conference this year. LSU struggled early, but their talent and upside showed when beating Auburn and giving Bama a game. I would take the top 4 in sec over any conferences top 4 by a long shot this season.  Auburn, who looked like maybe the best in the country down stretch, had the misfortune of having to play Alabama in Heavyweight fight before having to play Ga., a team they trounced earlier when having a little more rest. Ga is really good though. Miss St. is also good.  The Big 10 in all the playoffs since the inception, have been soundly beaten, except for one season. Ohio St. in my opinion would get trounced once again if they played  Clemson. Alabama vs. Clemson is the heavy weight game most want to see. I guarantee Bama will play well in that game. By the way, Personally,  I really don't like the SEC or Bama. I'm a USC Trojan fan first, Pac 12 second. No one in Pac 12 deserves mention of playoffs this season in my opinion. Ohio ST vs. USC should be great game. Same with Washington vs. Penn ST. if that happens. But I do have to acknowledge that Bama is stiil terrific, even though they are down this yr. compared to last 2 seasons. Injuries has hurt them as well, but no excuses