Folsom v. St. Mary's D1 SJS FINAL

ThunderRam

3 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

Folsom should be facing Central-Fresno or Pittsburg next so we should get some type of indication how they may have matched up.

Remember, Central put up 30 on DLS early Q3 and trailed 35-30 before it got away from them. Since 1979, the Spartans have only yielded 30+ in a regular season game 14 times. Half of those were to elite OOS competition and on the road.

Only 7 CA teams have done it so it's impressive regardless how early in the season that it happened (5th game of the season).

The point is, Central is a decent team and posed problems to DLS. Should Folsom dominate them, that'd be somewhat of a statement game for them.

But DLS clearly deserves to be in the Open.

Thunder, I hear the same point being made in several posts by you, that Central putting up 30 on Dela was the reason why they should be in the D-1 playin game against Folsom. Why I don't disagree that Central should be in the Playin game, I think that game they played Dela should be put into perspective. Dela was coming off a rough 3 game stretch against SJC, St. Francis, and Gorman. They had many injuries in the Gorman game ( two best players Robinson and Tuli.). They were beat up and kind of deflated after the Gorman whoopin. They played like they just wanted to get through the game. Sloppiness and turnovers were the main reason Central was even in the game. Talk on Spartan board was that Dela should have rolled that team to the tune of 63- 14, or something like that. Though  Central has some athleats, they should get rolled by Folsom. I think Pitt is in same category as Central, a nothch below Folsom, and Folsom definitly a notch below Dela.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

I suggested this too. Take the top 8 NorCal teams regardless of section and play it off. Everyone else can go into their normal section brackets. But it'll never happen for obvious reasons.

I kinda like the idea of an 8 team playoff but this yr, after DLS and Folsom there's a pretty big drop off. DLS as mentioned the DLS vs Central should not have been that close. Also, Pitt was smoked by Cent. earlier this yr and will get smoked again tonite. Too bad there QB got hurt early in the yr. Still think they lose those 2 games but would be a little more competitive. St. Mary's got smoked by Folsom. And I think Folsom would handle Central. So It would be difficult to pick 6 other teams after DLS and Folsom. I think if DLS and Folsom played next week DLS would be favored by at least 10.5.

44 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

No is right, due to preseason scheduling. SFL is one of the 2 top leagues in NorCal (many feel it is #1) but St. Mary's is the best team they faced all season. They looked great, but they needed a marquee win out of the area to have any type of argument. We realistic SJS'ers understand that.

But I sure would like to see this team face DLS. Best team Folsom has fielded since '14. Their WR duo is really good. And they can run the ball with their tailback and QB. They'd be a tough out for anybody not named Mater Dei or SJB. I think they could give both Centennial and DLS a game, but both would clearly be the favorites.

Great post

So I think central is clearly D1AA opponent for folsom

do you see anyone that can tame the devil down south?

sammy may be about to have another Folsom beat down of a socal team in the SBG history books 

In Open/ D1 SBG wine it’s just about to be 

DLS.                 7

Trinity League.  4

Folsom             3

6 minutes ago, Pops said:

Great post

sammy may be about to have another Folsom beat down of a socal team in the SBG history books 

DLS.                 7

Trinity League.  4

Folsom             3

I'm busy with the Real CIF final which is tonight.  Don't have time to bother with weak Nor Cal playoff brackets.

9 minutes ago, Pops said:

Great post

DLS.                 7

Trinity League.  4

Folsom             3

Who cares who Folsom plays.

It wont be even a top 15 team in SoCal. All the good ones are in the same bracket and cant play in Bowls.

22 minutes ago, Pops said:

the teams they should be playing can’t go of course.Clear cut #2 in NorCal will be playing a So Cal D2 team. I’m thinking the winner of the Mission Hills vs Helix game will play Oaks Christian.Oaks got their doors blown off by Chaminade this year so Folsom should do the same 

3 minutes ago, Ararar said:

the teams they should be playing can’t go of course.Clear cut #2 in NorCal will be playing a So Cal D2 team. I’m thinking the winner of the Mission Hills vs Helix game will play Oaks Christian.Oaks got their doors blown off by Chaminade this year so Folsom should do the same 

What about Narbonne — they just made a statement vs shaw?

btw, I don’t like rules that are manipulatable but why doesn’t SS just Call their D1 bracket and “open” which it really is and then the #2 team can still go to SBG (although some winner would have to stay home in their place).  I think that’s SS’s option under current rules 

3 minutes ago, Pops said:

What about Narbonne — they just made a statement vs shaw?

btw, I don’t like rules that are manipulatable but why doesn’t SS just Call their D1 bracket and “open” which it really is and then the #2 team can still go to SBG (although some winner would have to stay home in their place).  I think that’s SS’s option under current rules 

Think Narbonne will be 1A.If the SS made an Open then for example Oaks Christian would be staying home after last night win

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

Who cares who Folsom plays.

It wont be even a top 15 team in SoCal. All the good ones are in the same bracket and cant play in Bowls.

You clearly haven't seen them play. I'm pretty unbiased when it comes to Folsom and criticize when warranted. But this current team can beat any SoCal team outside the big 3. To be clear, I'm not saying they would beat all those teams, just that they are as talented and well coached.

They're top 10 in SoCal, no doubt.

2 hours ago, Griff said:

The SS put all their best teams in one division, so the playoffs in the SS are pretty much the SoCal Open playoffs. NorCal needs to do something similar.

It’s not about not wanting to put the best teams in one division, it’s about putting the best teams in the same section first. SS was able to do it because they are all one section. Here they are spread in 3 sections

1 hour ago, 1DayPGA said:

I kinda like the idea of an 8 team playoff but this yr, after DLS and Folsom there's a pretty big drop off. DLS as mentioned the DLS vs Central should not have been that close. Also, Pitt was smoked by Cent. earlier this yr and will get smoked again tonite. Too bad there QB got hurt early in the yr. Still think they lose those 2 games but would be a little more competitive. St. Mary's got smoked by Folsom. And I think Folsom would handle Central. So It would be difficult to pick 6 other teams after DLS and Folsom. I think if DLS and Folsom played next week DLS would be favored by at least 10.5.

Kairee Robinson is out for this game. I don’t think it will affect the outcome but will play into the score

1 hour ago, CaliNorth said:

I think that game they played Dela should be put into perspective. Dela was coming off a rough 3 game stretch against SJC, St. Francis, and Gorman. They had many injuries in the Gorman game ( two best players Robinson and Tuli.). They were beat up and kind of deflated after the Gorman whoopin. They played like they just wanted to get through the game. Sloppiness and turnovers were the main reason Central was even in the game. Talk on Spartan board was that Dela should have rolled that team to the tune of 63- 14, or something like that.

My counter to that is history. As already stated, DLS has only surrendered 30+ 7 times during the regular season (Lad era 1979 til now) to teams from CA and 6 of those were to NorCal/Central section teams (Mater Dei was the other). It just hasn't happened often no matter the circumstances. I mean, think about it. Over the past 38 seasons I'm sure DLS has endured similar circumstances yet they just don't give up 30 often. And Central didn't get that late in the game in garbage time. It was 35-30 in Q3.

I think you aren't giving Central enough credit. Yes, they lost by 19. But they did something that's akin to a NorCal team actually beating DLS since 1979. The amount of times each have happened are fairly close. That shouldn't be dismissed.

As for possible opponents from the south in the 1AA game Helix upset Mission Hills which creates a mess.I believe now Oaks Christian And Narbonne will play the Regional because Helix has a loss to D5 champ Paraclete which may set up a rematch in the 1A Regional.We will know by noon tomorrow 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Pitt already took out Serra. 

I know

i don’t have any insight as to what will actually happen but looks to me like DLS in Open (although that Kairee injury is s big bummer to forlorn hopes), Folsom v central in 1AA and Pitt v Serra in a rematch in 1a game

the question is whether Pitt jumped central with a good showing tonight (and, I suppose, if whether the north ought to send s hot Folsom or a depleted DLS team to open.  I think DLS has earned it on the field but does the committeninvoke the Johnny Stanton rule?

Dunno if St Mary’s was the best team Folsom played this year. I️ would take Oakdale against St Mary’s and CC beat them as well. CC lost vs Oakdale in game they should’ve won and then lost to DO. I️ believe their qb was out vs DO. Oakdale lost against Manteca this week in rematch but Manteca was at full strength. Unlike their first game. Manteca qb is very good. 

St Mary’s had lot of hype this year but didn’t live up to it. Injuries was main reason? 

Sac looked pretty good this year against Folsom also. Several teams played Folsom better than ST Mary’s for whatever that’s worth.