Back On The Island....Here's Your Gospel

Rufus69

I would have loved to have won the State Championship in Suwanee last night.  I would have loved it for the guys.  The guys who did what they could this year.  The guys who definitely overachieved this year.  The guys who were written off after the losses to Tift and Lowndes.  While it wasn't meant to be...I will make a few observations from the game....

1.  Colquitt did not play like a Championship team.  Part of this was due to the efforts from North Gwinnett...but unfortunately, a lot was due to ourselves.  I don't blame the guys directly...but they must shoulder their part.  Last might was a microcosm of this season.  Sometimes we looked GREAT.  Other times we looked like Ned and his first reader.  We showed signs of brilliance last night...and we showed what might be described as...less than adequate...at others.  Had we won...2017 would have been one of the most miraculous efforts from a Packer team in my memory (and that's a long time).  The effort was there.  The results came up short.  Like I said...it just wasn't meant to be.  But...I'll say this.... the guys never gave up on the team this year.  NEVER !!!!

2.  Coach Bill Stewart and his staff at North Gwinnett... OUTCOACHED US.  There can be NO argument.  We often looked confused and we never seemed to make the proper adjustments.  North Gwinnett ran their 140 lb baby backs all over us the entire game.  We seldom figured out how to stop them.   But the last 49 seconds of the game...are inexcusable.  I'm sorry...but they are.  You come out of a time out and put 13 men on the field.  You get the flag...but you don't count they guys.  You only bring one player off...and VOILA...you get another flag for having 12 men on the field.   All this after we had called timeout with about 30 seconds left.  I've never been gut shot...but I have a feeling it would feel something like I felt after the 2nd flag for too many players on the field.

3.  A lot of people want to blame the "stripers" for Colquitt's loss.  No Sir.  No Way.  There were calls that were very close going against BOTH teams.  We had our share.  So did North Gwinnett.  Our play...or you might say...lack thereof.....beat us.

4.  I will be a Hairy Hawg till the day I die.  I will support the program no matter who the coach is....until...I decide the coach doesn't deserve my support.  It's about the TEAM.  You know...the guys who DON'T get paid.  To the 2017 Seniors...let me say....I'm proud of you guys.  And those words truly don't do you justice.  To the underclassmen...I say...you are Packers.  This loss does not define you.  You have an opportunity to make all the fans and former players stand up and take notice...next year.  Do the work.  Keep the faith.

5.  Gurus....I have had a ball conversing with you fellers this season.  I'm not sure how much I'll be around in the coming months...but I plan on checking in every so often.  Before I go...I want to make sure I leave you with this....

I WAS RIGHT !!!!

Colquitt is Tier 5.

(Smile)

Happy Holidays (no matter which ones you celebrate) to each of you.....

Rufus>>

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

I would have loved to have won the State Championship in Suwanee last night.  I would have loved it for the guys.  The guys who did what they could this year.  The guys who definitely overachieved this year.  The guys who were written off after the losses to Tift and Lowndes.  While it wasn't meant to be...I will make a few observations from the game....

1.  Colquitt did not play like a Championship team.  Part of this was due to the efforts from North Gwinnett...but unfortunately, a lot was due to ourselves.  I don't blame the guys directly...but they must shoulder their part.  Last might was a microcosm of this season.  Sometimes we looked GREAT.  Other times we looked like Ned and his first reader.  We showed signs of brilliance last night...and we showed what might be described as...less than adequate...at others.  Had we won...2017 would have been one of the most miraculous efforts from a Packer team in my memory (and that's a long time).  The effort was there.  The results came up short.  Like I said...it just wasn't meant to be.  But...I'll say this.... the guys never gave up on the team this year.  NEVER !!!!

2.  Coach Bill Stewart and his staff at North Gwinnett... OUTCOACHED US.  There can be NO argument.  We often looked confused and we never seemed to make the proper adjustments.  North Gwinnett ran their 140 lb baby backs all over us the entire game.  We seldom figured out how to stop them.   But the last 49 seconds of the game...are inexcusable.  I'm sorry...but they are.  You come out of a time out and put 13 men on the field.  You get the flag...but you don't count they guys.  You only bring one player off...and VOILA...you get another flag for having 12 men on the field.   All this after we had called timeout with about 30 seconds left.  I've never been gut shot...but I have a feeling it would feel something like I felt after the 2nd flag for too many players on the field.

3.  A lot of people want to blame the "stripers" for Colquitt's loss.  No Sir.  No Way.  There were calls that were very close going against BOTH teams.  We had our share.  So did North Gwinnett.  Our play...or you might say...lack thereof.....beat us.

4.  I will be a Hairy Hawg till the day I die.  I will support the program no matter who the coach is....until...I decide the coach doesn't deserve my support.  It's about the TEAM.  You know...the guys who DON'T get paid.  To the 2017 Seniors...let me say....I'm proud of you guys.  And those words truly don't do you justice.  To the underclassmen...I say...you are Packers.  This loss does not define you.  You have an opportunity to make all the fans and former players stand up and take notice...next year.  Do the work.  Keep the faith.

5.  Gurus....I have had a ball conversing with you fellers this season.  I'm not sure how much I'll be around in the coming months...but I plan on checking in every so often.  Before I go...I want to make sure I leave you with this....

I WAS RIGHT !!!!

Colquitt is Tier 5.

(Smile)

Rufus>>

Couldn't have said it better, Rufus.

The game-ending penalties did cost CC the game. That was on the coaches. If not for those penalties, North Gwinnett wouldn't have smelled field goal range. North Gwinnett did nothing special in their final drive. They didn't have to. It was gift-wrapped.

Merry Christmas North Gwinnett.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

I WAS RIGHT !!!!

Colquitt is Tier 5.

(Smile)

Rufus>>

SOOOO, lemme git did skraight! Calls went agaimnsy BOTH =teams equally? But Colq

1 hour ago, ORabidOne said:

SOOOO, lemme git did skraight! Calls went agaimnsy BOTH =teams equally? But Colq

No. To be honest, often it seemed like they begrudgingly threw flags on North after Packers pointed and fans screamed about false starts at times. Those flags seemed kinda stuck in their belts until someone else pointed out the penalty. 

Ours just came a tad more freely. Usually just as deserved though. I don't think I could find a flag that was a blatant miss when I watched it on film this morning. There was times in the stands when I thought there were some bad calls but after watching on tape, they were pretty well all deserved. 

Sometimes they should just let the kids play though. There is nothing worse than the refs playing a huge part in the game. That PI call at the end, while probably fair enough a call, hadn't been called on similar amounts of contact against either team the whole night. But right then, it was. 

It is what it is though. We sucked right there at the last minute of the game and opened the door for the refs to have the opportunity to do it.