Letter from a Birmingham Jail

15yds4gibberish

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. Never again can we afford to live with the narrow, provincial “outside agitator” idea. Anyone who lives inside the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds."

Letter from A Birmingham Jail

• Like 6

8 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. Never again can we afford to live with the narrow, provincial “outside agitator” idea. Anyone who lives inside the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds."

Letter from A Birmingham Jail

Signed, a Radical Islamic Terrorist from a shithole country on the NO WAY in HELL list!!

12 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

King had such a poignant way of writing. I have read this letter before, but just read it again. It holds wonderful logic. Such a brilliant, educated, person of color quoting the likes of Saint Augustine  "An unjust law, is no law at all." 

Truth! 

Hawg,

Great post.  I re-read it yesterday too.  Time well spent.

The story is King faced harsh conditions in that jail.  He wrote this letter in the margins of a newspaper article and on scraps of paper that were smuggled in.  As you note, he cited so many great Christian thinkers from memory: Augustine, Aquinas, Buber, Tillich...These days, we've been so besieged by shriveled discourse and undeserving obsequiousness, we've forgotten what erudition and great courage looks like...

Now it is up to us to be inspired by the example, get involved, and demand better of ourselves and our leaders.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Hawg,

Great post.  I re-read it yesterday too.  Time well spent.

The story is King faced harsh conditions in that jail.  He wrote this letter in the margins of a newspaper article and on scraps of paper that were smuggled in.  As you note, he cited so many great Christian thinkers from memory: Augustine, Aquinas, Buber, Tillich...These days, we've been so besieged by shriveled discourse and undeserving obsequiousness, we've forgotten what erudition and great courage looks like...

Now it is up to us to be inspired by the example, get involved, and demand better of ourselves and our leaders.

Well, as Barack Obama said on that Netflix interview last night, you gotta figure out how to sprinkle the magic dust around. If young people see you or me doing just things, or volunteering or whatever else we do, then they think it's the thing to do. 

Whatever we walk to, our kids and grandkids will run to. So if we are walking to hate, they will run to it. If we are walking to equality, they will run to it. 

Against all obstacles placed by those that benefit greatly from the status quo in the social structure, tomorrow our kids will run toward equality if they see us sacrificing for it today. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Im sure ill get blasted for this and im prepared so go ahead but this is a very true statement

From 1860-1970 people that stood up for minority rights were all killed.....Lincoln Malcolm X MLK JFK im sure there could be more but those are the 4 i can name right off the top of my head

Exactly! 

Why would you get blasted for saying that? 

The question really is... Which end of that gun do you stand at?

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

Exactly! 

Why would you get blasted for saying that? 

The question really is... Which end of that gun do you stand at?

I have always stated JFK was a government hit job. They didnt want to end vietnam and the country was in a very volatile state. 

At the end of the civil war Lincoln freed the slaves but he really did believe they would return to Africa and not stay. Then booth killed him at Fords theater so I can ask you how do you feel about Lincolns real motive for freeing them.

I really dont stand on either side of the gun. I understand both sides of the argument

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I have always stated JFK was a government hit job. They didnt want to end vietnam and the country was in a very volatile state. 

At the end of the civil war Lincoln freed the slaves but he really did believe they would return to Africa and not stay. Then booth killed him at Fords theater so I can ask you how do you feel about Lincolns real motive for freeing them.

I really dont stand on either side of the gun. I understand both sides of the argument

I don't know about a hit job by the Gov't won't argue that point.  But he surely wasn't killed because he wanted to end the war in Vietnam as a matter of fact he was quite hawkish and was around in the early part of the escalation before dying and he famously said the below quote.  That doesn't sound like a man no wanting a War.   He was all in with the Hawks in Washington and believed in the Domino Theory.  Go watch some Vietnam Documentaries during his time.  He hated communism.

Pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend…to assure the survival and success of liberty

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I don't want to discuss what I think about Lincoln and his real motivations etc., not in this thread. 

You stand at the trigger end of the gun as best I can tell. Hypothetical of course. Just reading your banter on here, you stand at that end, whether you believe so or not. 

Let's not pollute this thread though.

As smart as King and those others were, there is no wonder they were killed. They were real threats to the social structure and introduced logic that could change the construct. Before they were allowed to continue gaining momentum or achieving more powerful positions from which to operate, they were ended. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DevilDog said:

I don't know about a hit job by the Gov't won't argue that point.  But he surely wasn't killed because he wanted to end the war in Vietnam as a matter of fact he was quite hawkish and was around in the early part of the escalation before dying and he famously said this.  That doesn't sound like a man no wanting a War.   He was all in with the Hawks in Washington and believed in the Domino Theory.  Go watch some Vietnam Documentaries during his time. 

Pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend…to assure the survival and success of liberty

I could have swore JFK was against Vietnam and Johnson wanted to really load up in Vietnam

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

I don't want to discuss what I think about Lincoln and his real motivations etc., not in this thread. 

You stand at the trigger end of the gun as best I can tell. Hypothetical of course. Just reading your banter on here, you stand at that end, whether you believe so or not. 

Let's not pollute this thread though.

As smart as King and those others were, there is no wonder they were killed. They were real threats to the social structure and introduced logic that could change the construct. Before they were allowed to continue gaining momentum or achieving more powerful positions from which to operate, they were ended. 

I may lean more I guess you can say towards the trigger but I can certainly listening to both sides. 

And yes MLK Malcolm X and such were certainly seen as a threat. There is no denying that at this point