Georgia Vs. Trump-offshore drilling standoff.

2 minutes ago, dbcaptiron said:

Ditto for Jersey...That is why I seriously question the (probably9_9) 'no deposits' BS that some appeasers speak of..

Well duh..no one has even had the chance to prove it xD...

Yea, that pretty much sums up the affirmative .... wasn't sure who had proven reserves and who doesn't....stuff like that could make a difference in that for/against states poll.

Not looking forward to them ever drilling offshore, and as the farther north you go the more $ prohibitive it gets, we may be fine for a while longer, even if this stuff passes....but like also asked above....

If we don't do it, are there any other (non-US-national) companies that are planning to do this regardless? I'm not up on it, but as I have heard that excuse before, I thought it fairly relevant to know before judging for or against votes...

If we wont allow our own companies to do it. Then theres no way we'll let foreigners do it.  

Another reason is as I stated before is being seismically unstable you might not think that when you look at GA and SC but its actually a pretty big problem. 

Its also part of the reason that we dont allow inland oil fracking anywhere south of Atlanta....  

Theres a pretty large fault zone in SC ot extends into parts of coastal and south GA.

And it has produced some nasty EQ's the largest EQ it ever produced was a 7.9 it was felt all the way down to Cuba... and as far up as NYC. 

Its still very active.

Ots interesting because a recent Georgia Tech study on the SC Diablo fault zone yielded some scary results. 

When you pull soil and rocks from faults you can tell how close it is to going off by the rocks and layers. 

Rock samples pulled from the SC zone are under high stress and look like a 10 layer cake... 

In simpler terms. 

We're close to another big one but we dont know when. 

It could be tomorrow it could be 10 to 100 years from now... 

We just dont know. 

All we know is its reaching its breaking point. 

28 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

If we wont allow our own companies to do it. Then theres no way we'll let foreigners do it.  

Another reason is as I stated before is being seismically unstable you might not think that when you look at GA and SC but its actually a pretty big problem. 

Its also part of the reason that we dont allow inland oil fracking anywhere south of Atlanta....  

Theres a pretty large fault zone in SC ot extends into parts of coastal and south GA.

And it has produced some nasty EQ's the largest EQ it ever produced was a 7.9 it was felt all the way down to Cuba... and as far up as NYC. 

Its still very active.

Yeah I hear that...We had a real shallow, really close shake a couple month's back, and the girl behind me @ the Wendy's drive thru slammed into the back of my car 9_9

And 'our' own companies have onshore assets that can be seized (if they don't do as the government dictates), but if foreign interests decide they want to explore or drill in 'INTERNATIONAL WATERS'.....well how do you suggest you (or the government) stop them?

Diplomatic treaties and such sure ....but the 'get our companies there first' might be coming into play here....that's why I asked.

8 hours ago, noonereal said:

nice thread, i was unaware

thanks

-----------------------------------

This is how to start a thread. 

@HSFBfan

@Sportsnut

1. A coherent thread title.
  2. Background on the issue in the opening post along with fact related information.
  3. All done in brevity without partisanism. 

It's called Creative Writing! I larned me some a dat in Bobcat Village back in the day!

And jist fer shits and giggles for you homies! WHAT'S partisanism and opposal? White folks call it partisanship and opposition!

17 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Recently the Trump administration approved of a new offshore drilling operation that would open up the coast of South Carolina,North Carolina and Georgia to Offshore Drilling. 

Or atleast it would. 

The state of Georgia has firmly told the Trump administration No.  

Quite some while ago the coast counties of:

Chatham(Savannah)

Mcintosh(Darien)

Glynn(Brunswick)

Camden(St.Marys and Kingsland) 

Bryan (Richmond Hills)  

Liberty (Hinesville)

All agreed to ban offshore drilling and have been backed by the state. 

And now the state of Georgia is butting heads with the Trump and his crew.  

Georgia refuses to allow Offshore Drilling because of the risk it poses to our coastal ecosystem. 

This is not the first time this has happened. 

It happened under G.W Bush and Obama. But Trump is the first one to actually fight back over it. 

NC is the only state in favor of it of the 3. 

SC has also voiced opposal to it. 

A big big mistake.  To this day when you swim at Santa Barbara and Ventura beaches you see little oil tar balls on beach.   That was from the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill.  

It isn't needed Or helpful and if you drill it you spill it.  Unavoidable regardless of what those who want it tell you.  

19 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

A big big mistake.  To this day when you swim at Santa Barbara and Ventura beaches you see little oil tar balls on beach.   That was from the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill.  

It isn't needed Or helpful and if you drill it you spill it.  Unavoidable regardless of what those who want it tell you. * 

I think I'm still pulling some from out my ass from there xD ......'

All the places that have offshore drilling seem to eventually get those nasty tar balls, and i'm not convinced it's just big spills that cause them.    * I could not agree with you more...

1 hour ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Im against it big time... 

This is just one of those things where the risk outweighs the reward. 

Times ten...

Whether you like oil or not, Just does not make sense to pull the oil thru a medium you have very little control over, while there's still reserves on dryland (where even if there is risk, it's controllable).

At this point there seems to be 'No Need but Greed'....

8 minutes ago, dbcaptiron said:

Times ten...

Whether you like oil or not, Just does not make sense to pull the oil thru a medium you have very little control over, while there's still reserves on dryland (where even if there is risk, it's controllable).

At this point there seems to be 'No Need but Greed'....

Politicians are just looking for another way to make money...