Georgia Vs. Trump-offshore drilling standoff.

Recently the Trump administration approved of a new offshore drilling operation that would open up the coast of South Carolina,North Carolina and Georgia to Offshore Drilling. 

Or atleast it would. 

The state of Georgia has firmly told the Trump administration No.  

Quite some while ago the coast counties of:

Chatham(Savannah)

Mcintosh(Darien)

Glynn(Brunswick)

Camden(St.Marys and Kingsland) 

Bryan (Richmond Hills)  

Liberty (Hinesville)

All agreed to ban offshore drilling and have been backed by the state. 

And now the state of Georgia is butting heads with the Trump and his crew.  

Georgia refuses to allow Offshore Drilling because of the risk it poses to our coastal ecosystem. 

This is not the first time this has happened. 

It happened under G.W Bush and Obama. But Trump is the first one to actually fight back over it. 

NC is the only state in favor of it of the 3. 

SC has also voiced opposal to it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

nice thread, i was unaware

thanks

-----------------------------------

This is how to start a thread. 

@HSFBfan

@Sportsnut

1. A coherent thread title.
  2. Background on the issue in the opening post along with fact related information.
  3. All done in brevity without partisanism. 

Looks like the thread starting police are out in full force this morning. As usual NOR thinks he knows the correct way to complete everything in life. Who would have thought a soccer mom who be telling a bunch of football fans how to conduct their life?

Just now, zulu1128 said:

Interesting that NC is in favor, despite having by far the most fragile coastal ecosystem of the 3.

Apparently the governor of NC has said No to it but some around the governor want to allow it. 

So its a mixed bag with them. 

SC and GA have said No to it. 

NC might as well say no. 

And apparently Virginia is in the mix. 

15 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

Interesting that NC is in favor, despite having by far the most fragile coastal ecosystem of the 3.

Yea. NC  has said No the Governor wants to be exempted from it. But their response has been softer than that of GA and SC. 

Heres a list of states the offshore drilling plan effects. 

New York-Opposed

New Jersey-Opposed 

Georgia-Opposed 

South Carolina- Opposed 

North Carolina-Opposed 

Virginia-Opposed 

Massachusetts-Opposed

Maine-Governor-Yes,Citizens-Opposed 

Maryland-Opposed

Delaware-Opposed 

New Hampshire-Opposed

So out of all those states only 1 said yes and not without negative feedback. 

The Citizens of Maine fear it'll threaten the lobsters and sea life. 

Maine Lobster goes great with Potato soup... 

But there is no way this offshore drilling plan goes through. 

You cant Drill if none of the states want it. 

The few supporters it does have say it'll help produce more jobs and money.  

But the risk outweighs the reward. 

Yea having more jobs would be nice but is it really worth it. 

Also drilling off the coast of SC would be pretty dangerous...  

You'd turn GA and SC into the next Oklahoma. 

SC and Coastal GA are Seismically unstable... 

Drilling,Fracking and Seismic Blasting wouldn't exactly help.... 

2 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

Somebody in the "in favor" group has a direct in to a nice share of the profit would be my guess. 

Some politicians would smoke crack off the ashes in their grannie's urn if they thought there was a profit to be made from it.

40 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

I paid $2.24. I also use cheap, clean natural gas to heat my home...and I'm only about 30 miles from KY.

You DO know at least once a day that another home is blown clean off the face of the earth using this stuff right?? xD

Just sayin' LOL .........(I have both gas+ oil in homes BTW)

11 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Recently the Trump administration approved of a new offshore drilling operation that would open up the coast of South Carolina,North Carolina and Georgia to Offshore Drilling. 

A couple thoughts on topic:

(disclaimer: I have been a surfer all my life so there should be no confusion as to where my loyalties are)

1) Do you guys project a lot of oil down there?? Word around here was that there was not much in the way of deposits, but who knows if they get to do more exploration, and not sure if the deposit talk is all BS.  Would they be drilling or exploring?

2) Do we know what the deal is with 'international' waters??  Much like the barges that dump NYC trash out there everyday, a lot of things change quickly when you hit open water.  Much like the Chinese commercial fishing fleet poaching our Pacific coast....I this more of a 'pre-emptive' approach?  ...I have also heard this excuse...

Good topic....been around so long as an issue that was a non-issue, that I have totally lost track of it..... 

1 hour ago, dbcaptiron said:

A couple thoughts on topic:

(disclaimer: I have been a surfer all my life so there should be no confusion as to where my loyalties are)

1) Do you guys project a lot of oil down there?? Word around here was that there was not much in the way of deposits, but who knows if they get to do more exploration, and not sure if the deposit talk is all BS.  Would they be drilling or exploring?

2) Do we know what the deal is with 'international' waters??  Much like the barges that dump NYC trash out there everyday, a lot of things change quickly when you hit open water.  Much like the Chinese commercial fishing fleet poaching our Pacific coast....I this more of a 'pre-emptive' approach?  ...I have also heard this excuse...

Good topic....been around so long as an issue that was a non-issue, that I have totally lost track of it..... 

To my knowledge the area off the coast of GA may have oil. I say may because no one has dug any wells to see back when the oil boom first started GA decided they didnt want any part in it.  

The state is super strict on its stance of no offshore drilling and has been since the 1920's... 

California allowed offshore drilling before GA even thought about it. 

The state of GA wont even allow companies to dig test wells to see if we have oil that I know for a fact. 

But given that the atlantic coast of FL and parts of SC have oil and gas I'd say yes we do. 

2 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

The state is super strict on its stance of no offshore drilling and has been since the 1920's... 

The state of GA wont even allow companies to dig test wells to see if we have oil that I know for a fact. 

Ditto for Jersey...That is why I seriously question the (probably9_9) 'no deposits' BS that some appeasers speak of..

Well duh..no one has even had the chance to prove it xD...

7 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

But given that the atlantic coast of FL and parts of SC have oil and gas I'd say yes we do. 

Yea, that pretty much sums up the affirmative .... wasn't sure who had proven reserves and who doesn't....stuff like that could make a difference in that for/against states poll.

Not looking forward to them ever drilling offshore, and as the farther north you go the more $ prohibitive it gets, we may be fine for a while longer, even if this stuff passes....but like also asked above....

If we don't do it, are there any other (non-US-national) companies that are planning to do this regardless? I'm not up on it, but as I have heard that excuse before, I thought it fairly relevant to know before judging for or against votes...