Is the EU coming apart?

Bormio

Hard to believe yet with the euro single currency in place - but the fact that nationalist concerns were always going to eventually trump European ones is rearing its head.  Brexit, Eurosceptics in Italy, Eastern Europe at odds with Brussels and now Merkel may be headed out in Germany.  Europe is a collection of nations with different views, languages, goals, economies etc.  The EU was always a very bad idea.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Hard to believe yet with the euro single currency in place - but the fact that nationalist concerns were always going to eventually trump European ones is rearing its head.  Brexit, Eurosceptics in Italy, Eastern Europe at odds with Brussels and now Merkel may be headed out in Germany.  Europe is a collection of nations with different views, languages, goals, economies etc.  The EU was always a very bad idea.

It would be for the best if the EU broke up

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

It would be for the best if the EU broke up

Hard to see that yet - the single currency needs to be unwound - but I think Merkel is finished.  She barely put a government together before, and has failed.  Who next leads Germany is a major question.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Hard to see that yet - the single currency needs to be unwound - but I think Merkel is finished.  She barely put a government together before, and has failed.  Who next leads Germany is a major question.

Hopefully a right leaning person who shuts down the borders and says enough of the BS. Enough of the open border asylum seekers. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Man....sounds like the good ole USA...don't it....(Smile).

Secession Now !!!!!

Rufus>>

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Man....sounds like the good ole USA...don't it....(Smile).

Secession Now !!!!!

Rufus>>

There is much more that ties us together as Americans than those things that tie Europe together.  But in the first 80 years of the country’s existence, people thought of themselves as Virginians, New Yorkers etc before being Americans.  The Civil War changed that.  However, the language issue is real - English is our language and people here need to learn it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bormio said:

There is much more that ties us together as Americans than those things that tie Europe together.  But in the first 80 years of the country’s existence, people thought of themselves as Virginians, New Yorkers etc before being Americans.  The Civil War changed that.  However, the language issue is real - English is our language and people here need to learn it.

Do you realize in most first world countries, the people speak MULTIPLE languages and are taught this in school?

Don't be so narrow minded. You probably have never even left the U.S. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Do you realize in most first world countries, the people speak MULTIPLE languages and are taught this in school?

Don't be so narrow minded. You probably have never even left the U.S. 

And everyone in those countries speaks or learns to speak the national language.  I have no problem teaching foreign languages in the US.  But everyone needs to learn to use English.  And I have been to Europe at least 10 times.

Just now, Bormio said:

And everyone in those countries speaks or learns to speak the national language.  I have no problem teaching foreign languages in the US.  But everyone needs to learn to use English.  And I have been to Europe at least 10 times.

Everything here is in English and 95 percent of all people speak it, except for those recent immigrants who are learning.

Your point is mute. 

7 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Everything here is in English and 95 percent of all people speak it, except for those recent immigrants who are learning.

Your point is mute. 

In large part you are correct.  But it is not as universal as it was with prior migrations.

2 hours ago, Bormio said:

I disagree with you on a couple of points.

I honestly don't think there's much difference in your analogy between Europe and the USA.  We seem to be fighting the same stupid battles.   I also think we're more divided as a society these days than I've ever seen it.  Granted I didn't see the War of Northern Aggression...but in my lifetime...this is the worst.

I also don't think everybody here needs to speak English.  Hell....half the people I know can't speak it properly....nor text it...nor write it.   Combine that with our division amongst states.  Take California...they want to divide into (3) mini-states.  Georgia wants to divide into (2) states...but the North group won't take Atlanta.  So they're stuck.

I hear there's hope coming...but I honestly don't believe it.  I do wonder sometimes how far the rabbit hole goes....

Rufus>>

5 hours ago, Bormio said:

Why do they "need" to? Cant wait to here this.

3 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

I disagree with you on a couple of points.

I honestly don't think there's much difference in your analogy between Europe and the USA.  We seem to be fighting the same stupid battles.   I also think we're more divided as a society these days than I've ever seen it.  Granted I didn't see the War of Northern Aggression...but in my lifetime...this is the worst.

I also don't think everybody here needs to speak English.  Hell....half the people I know can't speak it properly....nor text it...nor write it.   Combine that with our division amongst states.  Take California...they want to divide into (3) mini-states.  Georgia wants to divide into (2) states...but the North group won't take Atlanta.  So they're stuck.

I hear there's hope coming...but I honestly don't believe it.  I do wonder sometimes how far the rabbit hole goes....

Rufus>>

North Fulton wants to break away back into Milton. On a county level.

Its quiet now on that front, it’s still there though.

Regards,

BGW

6 hours ago, Bormio said:

We still consider ourselves by state at least here in NY. We ate new Yorkers. Or hell some people even say by the city in which they live. Yes at one time your state meant everything that was the main reason Robert e lee fought for the confederacy he could not turn his back on virginia. And who could blame him 

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

Why do they "need" to? Cant wait to here this.

Because Americans speak English.  It is very hard to advance in this nation if you do not speak the language spoken here, very hard to participate in all this country has to offer.  Every immigrant group in our history has made a point of having their children learn English so they could have the best chance for a better life.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Because Americans speak English.  It is very hard to advance in this nation if you do not speak the language spoken here, very hard to participate in all this country has to offer.  Every immigrant group in our history has made a point of having their children learn English so they could have the best chance for a better life.

Immigrants at one point were very proud to be here and would do anything for this country 

Many first generation immigrants, especially older ones, never really learned English - learning a new language when you are old is very hard.  But they insisted their children did - no whining or complaining.  It was expected.  They wanted the best for their children.

• Like 1