State of the Stock Market

DarterBlue

3 hours ago, ohio said:

Congrats.

MPX is up 9.49% today.  Plus it has earnings coming up in a month, which it will probably beat.  Hope to see it double from your purchase price.

Thanks! I had one of my better days of the year. All 4 positions did well and three of the four were up 2% or more. Not sure how long I will hold MPX. But it has broken out convincingly. If it trades normally, I will try and hold it through earnings at the very least. 

3 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

I was called an idiot for selling it. But the stock market game isnt for me. I wished darter all the luck in the world on it and hope he makes a million. Mpx has gone up to 23 and had pulled back at that level. So itll he interesting to see if it can break through 23

Yeah, I was kind of hard on you. But  I did not mean to be a dick. I was just expressing the fact that the stock was doing fine and should not have been sold. Today should tell you why. 

I am pretty sure it gets through 23. From there only time will tell. 

If I end up making good money on this stock, I will buy you a fine dinner for two at a restaurant of your choosing. Just let me know how to get the funds to you and it's a done deal.

The truth of the matter is that without you asking me for advice on this stock, I would have never found it as it is outside my minimum volume constraints, so my screens never would have picked it up. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Yeah, I was kind of hard on you. But  I did not mean to be a dick. I was just expressing the fact that the stock was doing fine and should not have been sold. Today should tell you why. 

I am pretty sure it gets through 23. From there only time will tell. 

If I end up making good money on this stock, I will buy you a fine dinner for two at a restaurant of your choosing. Just let me know how to get the funds to you and it's a done deal.

The truth of the matter is that without you asking me for advice on this stock, I would have never found it as it is outside my minimum volume constraints, so my screens never would have picked it up. 

Well let's just say I brought up good fortunes maybe. It's all good. I dont take it personally and if you remember it has been up this way before and it pulled back at 23. Just because it went up 2 points today doesnt mean it doesnt pull back tomorrow. And you never defined what good money is. 

17 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Well let's just say I brought up good fortunes maybe. It's all good. I dont take it personally and if you remember it has been up this way before and it pulled back at 23. Just because it went up 2 points today doesnt mean it doesnt pull back tomorrow. And you never defined what good money is. 

Getting out with a 25% profit or better. That means it will have to make the mid to upper 20s. 

From a purely chart perspective, it should work higher at least in the short run. It took out the high from late July when it reversed after being up around $2 that day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

Getting out with a 25% profit or better. That means it will have to make the mid to upper 20s. 

From a purely chart perspective, it should work higher at least in the short run. It took out the high from late July when it reversed after being up around $2 that day. 

Well good luck. Well see what happens. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2018 at 8:57 PM, DarterBlue said:

MPX had a slight pull back from high of 24.3, probably due to profit taking.  It's still holding steady and has had two bottoms of 21.9 since.  Usually that's an indicator that it may pull up in the near future.  Hope it continues to climb from this point forward.

As for me, I bought 300 shares of ORCL (49.22) and 300 of CPRT (64.85) on Friday.  Oracle is kind of risky, but its estimate of 0.61 is kind of low, but its whisper # is 0.71, which may be a concern.  May buy more CPRT if it drops on Monday.  We'll see.

Also, looking at MU, RHT, and FDX.  But will wait till after earnings, and if they surprise, then I may chase them.  MU has the most potential to move up if it beats estimates, maybe even a good turnaround.

Glad that PLAY beat estimates.  If it can get past 69, it has potential for a breakout ( at least according to its 2 year chart).

Always enjoy conversing with you.

On 9/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, HSFBfan said:

Nope I dont......it was kinda fun while I was in it but too long of a process. I'd rather bet on sports or the horses. More fun and you know if you won or lost in 3 hours or less

If you like excitement, and a quick profit; then you could try playing stocks a day or even an hour before their earnings announcement.  You can make quite a bit or lose if you chose wrong. But usually, if you play stocks that have 1)beat earnings for the previous two quarters, 2)have an upward trend for the year, and 3)there is a bull market; then more often than not, they will beat estimates and have a good pop for that day and beyond.

Using this strategy, I have not missed an earnings estimate this quarter, and only lost on one last quarter.

I know this is not your thing, but think about it in the future as you get older and more established.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ohio said:

MPX had a slight pull back from high of 24.3, probably due to profit taking.  It's still holding steady and has had two bottoms of 21.9 since.  Usually that's an indicator that it may pull up in the near future.  Hope it continues to climb from this point forward.

As for me, I bought 300 shares of ORCL (49.22) and 300 of CPRT (64.85) on Friday.  Oracle is kind of risky, but its estimate of 0.61 is kind of low, but its whisper # is 0.71, which may be a concern.  May buy more CPRT if it drops on Monday.  We'll see.

Also, looking at MU, RHT, and FDX.  But will wait till after earnings, and if they surprise, then I may chase them.  MU has the most potential to move up if it beats estimates, maybe even a good turnaround.

Glad that PLAY beat estimates.  If it can get past 69, it has potential for a breakout ( at least according to its 2 year chart).

Always enjoy conversing with you.

1. I agree with your thoughts on MPX.

2. I prefer to CPRT to ORCL. The last time I seriously looked at ORCL was about 12 years ago.

3. RHT and FDX look very interesting; MU I would stay away from. AMD is perhaps the only chip stock that looks real good, if extended. 

4. I agree on your assessment of Dave & Busters. I may take a position in the near future.

5. Likewise! You have a  strategy and seem to do your homework. That is rarer than you think. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

2. I prefer to CPRT to ORCL. The last time I seriously looked at ORCL was about 12 years ago.

3. RHT and FDX look very interesting; MU I would stay away from. AMD is perhaps the only chip stock that looks real good, if extended. 

4. I agree on your assessment of Dave & Busters. I may take a position in the near future.

5. Likewise! You have a  strategy and seem to do your homework. That is rarer than you think. 

You're right about ORCL and I may be pushing it.  May get out if it starts heading south, preferably with a minimal loss.  Stop loss is tight at 48.

I plan on playing MU, only it it beats earnings and not before.  It's just too risky and doesn't fit my criteria for playing before the earnings report.  I'll wait for the earnings report to come out and might jump in if it beats earnings and revenues in the after hours of that day.  Has huge upside potential if it surprises.  Well, maybe.

Figured, PLAY would beat estimates, since it had for at least the 5 previous quarters.  The big concern was, would it beat revenues.  It failed on sales in June, and lost about 5 points in a month.  Good thing it beat both the top and bottom lines this time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohio said:

If you like excitement, and a quick profit; then you could try playing stocks a day or even an hour before their earnings announcement.  You can make quite a bit or lose if you chose wrong. But usually, if you play stocks that have 1)beat earnings for the previous two quarters, 2)have an upward trend for the year, and 3)there is a bull market; then more often than not, they will beat estimates and have a good pop for that day and beyond.

Using this strategy, I have not missed an earnings estimate this quarter, and only lost on one last quarter.

I know this is not your thing, but think about it in the future as you get older and more established.

Thanks for the heads up. Good info

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 7:10 PM, DarterBlue said:

You called it on Oracle.  Caused me my first earnings miss this quarter.  Sold all 300 at 47.24 after hours for a loss.  Bought 100 more of CPRT at 63.74.  Hope it doesn't miss in two days.

6 hours ago, ohio said:

You called it on Oracle.  Caused me my first earnings miss this quarter.  Sold all 300 at 47.24 after hours for a loss.  Bought 100 more of CPRT at 63.74.  Hope it doesn't miss in two days.

I am sorry about the revenue miss, on ORCL. But you got out which is the more important thing. For whatever reason, ORCL just seems to have missed the mark too much in recent years. It reminds me of MSFT and CSCO back in the early 2000s after the tech bubble bust. I tied up a good chunk of money in 2003 thinking those two were going to perform solidly in the new bull market in 2003, but they ended up being laggards as a new group of leaders such as AAPL emerged. 

On 9/18/2018 at 4:53 AM, DarterBlue said:

I am sorry about the revenue miss, on ORCL. But you got out which is the more important thing. For whatever reason, ORCL just seems to have missed the mark too much in recent years. It reminds me of MSFT and CSCO back in the early 2000s after the tech bubble bust. I tied up a good chunk of money in 2003 thinking those two were going to perform solidly in the new bull market in 2003, but they ended up being laggards as a new group of leaders such as AAPL emerged. 

Took a hit on CPRT.

Bought 200 TLRY at 180.11