State of the Stock Market

DarterBlue

7 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

The dow is 200 points off it's all time high. 

Yes, but at the same time the leading sectors are not looking so strong. This is a weird stock market. One that's difficult to make money in. The fact that the Ganja stocks are going crazy reminds me a bit of 1999 when every garbage internet stock was going bananas. That did not end well. 

18 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

MPX is still fine. If it breaks my entry point and closes below it, then there is cause for concern. If it falls under 20 then it made its second false breakout and must be sold. . 

Don't know why it fell yesterday.  But there was a volume spike early in the morning, so someone either shorted or sold quite a bit.  At least it's starting to head up today.

Even though the fundamentals look good on this stock, the volumes are low and can be easily manipulated in the short term.  Hopefully more people buy into it, with this small pull back.  But as always keep your trigger finger ready just in case.

18 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

The market is quietly crushing many of its leaders. 

Yes they are.  Hopefully its just temporary.  Speculators and even some investors are a little concerned about the 'Trump and the Chinese regime' playing chicken with potential tariffs, to see who caves in first.  But if the tariffs war escalates, have some cash open in case you have to short the market in the future.

7 minutes ago, ohio said:

Don't know why it fell yesterday.  But there was a volume spike early in the morning, so someone either shorted or sold quite a bit.  At least it's starting to head up today.

Even though the fundamentals look good on this stock, the volumes are low and can be easily manipulated in the short term.  Hopefully more people buy into it, with this small pull back.  But as always keep your trigger finger ready just in case.

Because it does all the time. It gets close to 24 and pulls back

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

The fact that the Ganja stocks are going crazy reminds me a bit of 1999 when every garbage internet stock was going bananas. That did not end well. 

From dot com to pot com.  TLRY, CRON, CGC are way overpriced, they could fall hard. Especially, if there is negative regulatory news from a US Government agency, or a sharp drop in the overall markets. 

Long term, if the prices fall they will be a good investment again because the cannabis industry is expected to 4 or 5 fold in the next few years.  Maybe, more if other states begin to legalize.  

But just as in the dot com bubble, there will be winners and losers.   Try to stay with bigger companies like CGC and TLRY.

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Because it does all the time. It gets close to 24 and pulls back

Good observation.

Yes, you are right.  Could be a short seller with deep pockets.  But it also has potential to break out of the 23-24 range if they beat earnings, get publicity, or some other favorable news.  Then there could be a short squeeze, and with a low volume stock its difficult to get out of a short position and the price can spike quite a bit.  But we will see.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ohio said:

Good observation.

Yes, you are right.  Could be a short seller with deep pockets.  But it also has potential to break out of the 23-24 range if they beat earnings, get publicity, or some other favorable news.  Then there could be a short squeeze, and with a low volume stock its difficult to get out of a short position and the price can spike quite a bit.  But we will see.

It's a safe stock because you know the range its gonna sit. 

6 hours ago, ohio said:

That's the problem with thinly traded stocks. Even I, a relative small fry, could influence the price of this stock significantly. Had HSFB Fan not asked my opinion on it, I would have never found it because my screens would have eliminated it from consideration due to the lack of volume. SO for better or worse, this trade is on him. 

11 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

That's partially because most of the money went into a relatively few names that have an over sized influence on the market averages. 

Exactly.  That's why it's important to be selective and stick with winners like AAPL and NKE and stay away from underperformers like GE, F, and XOM.

17 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Is it even worth trying to get a Wall Street Job if you don’t have a degree from an Ivy League institution?

DarterBlue can answer that question better than anyone here.  Years ago, you didn't need a college degree, but things may have changed.

But if you are looking for a career in Wall Street.  It can be very lucrative.   Giants like Peter Lynch, Soros, Dalio, Icahn all started as stock brokers and worked their way up. Now they are billionaires, execpt for Lynch he's only worth 350 mil.  Lol

But to be successful who have to be a good salesman and know how to climb up a corporate ladder.  Many start their own companies once they build up a large clientele list.

I would recommend any young man to give it a try.  Very few careers are as lucrative.

On 9/8/2018 at 11:27 PM, DarterBlue said:

I have clearly violated some of my cardinal rules with FND. There is no rationalizing it. in fact it may be best if I end up losing big on this one. It would serve as exhibit A regarding the folly of not adhering to my rules at all times. For if it were to rebound getting me out near break even or with a profit, it would send me a very bad message that could cost me more grief later on. 

I wonder if this news helps FND stock reverse its trend or at least move it up a little.

https://www.fairfieldcurrent.com/2018/09/23/floor-decor-holdings-inc-fnd-shares-bought-by-rehmann-capital-advisory-group.html

On 9/20/2018 at 11:13 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Is it even worth trying to get a Wall Street Job if you don’t have a degree from an Ivy League institution?

It can and has been done. But it is exceptionally difficult. It helps if you are ultra aggressive and somewhat ruthless. Another way, is to know someone that is able to open doors for you.

Finally, if you are exceptionally good at Math and have devoted time to develop algorithms that have been able to find even a tiny edge, then you may get hired as a "quant." But that is extremely difficult to do. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ohio said:

I wonder if this news helps FND stock reverse its trend or at least move it up a little.

https://www.fairfieldcurrent.com/2018/09/23/floor-decor-holdings-inc-fnd-shares-bought-by-rehmann-capital-advisory-group.html

Probably not. Aside from Swiss National Bank, none of these institutions at the time of disclosure owned material positions in the stock. In fact, as a percentage of capital available to trade/invest, I own significantly more of the company's stock than probably all of them.

The most significant positive news in terms of demand and supply for the shares, is the fact that Goldman Sacks was willing to purchase (underwrite) a very large chunk of the secondary (none of the proceeds when to the company, BTW, but to one of its early investors), at $37 per share even though the stock sold off to the $34 range on news of the secondary.

GS is not normally in the business of charity when it comes to such matters. But we will see. 

On 9/23/2018 at 11:18 PM, DarterBlue said:

Probably not. Aside from Swiss National Bank, none of these institutions at the time of disclosure owned material positions in the stock. In fact, as a percentage of capital available to trade/invest, I own significantly more of the company's stock than probably all of them.

The most significant positive news in terms of demand and supply for the shares, is the fact that Goldman Sacks was willing to purchase (underwrite) a very large chunk of the secondary (none of the proceeds when to the company, BTW, but to one of its early investors), at $37 per share even though the stock sold off to the $34 range on news of the secondary.

GS is not normally in the business of charity when it comes to such matters. But we will see. 

Mixed blessing for you today.  MPX is up (hopefully it continues in this direction, but FND is down.

Don't know why FND fell today.  Its RSI is 33.27 (If it falls below 30, I might buy into it), has mostly buy or outperform analysts ratings, good liquidity, short interest under 7 percent, good earnings, price tgt of 48, and is in oversold territory.  The only reason, I can see it falling is because it fell below last Octobers low of 37 threshold, and short term investors love to short when they see this on a graph.

stock chart

3 minutes ago, ohio said:

Mixed blessing for you today.  MPX is up (hopefully it continues in this direction, but FND is down.

Don't know why FND fell today.  Its RSI is 33.27 (If it falls below 30, I might buy into it), has mostly buy or outperform analysts ratings, good liquidity, short interest under 7 percent, good earnings, price tgt of 48, and is in oversold territory.  The only reason, I can see it falling is because to fell below last Octobers low of 37 threshold, and short term investors love to short when they see this on a graph.

stock chart

Mpx back up to 23....will close to 24 and pull back

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Mpx back up to 23....will close to 24 and pull back

It could.  But it could also break out again if it goes higher than 24.82, as you can see on this chart.  Also, the chart shows an upward trend that should continue, barring anything nasty headed its way.

stock chart