Racism as it Relates to Americans

DarterBlue

In another thread, I was asked about my reactions to Red Zone as it relates to the fact that he has used racist language in at least one thread directed at an African American member of this board. My response was that I was not aware of the thread and thus I could only go by the fact that in my discourse with him he had not used any racist language with me. The discussion got me to thinking about the prevalence of racism in the USA and its impact on discourse both in language, whether verbal, written; on message boards or social media, in private discussions, or in public. 

My first recognition that the USA had a serious racial problem was in the turmoil of the 1960s when as a young child, television came to Jamaica, and with it images of demonstrations, riots, burnings, and other acts of protest and violence occurring in the USA. At that time, being still in elementary school and late in the decade, the equivalent of middle school, I had trouble comprehending what was occurring there, as Jamaica, while not without some racial animus, had no equivalent degree of racial hostility or tension. Later in the 1970s while leafing through a book written by a distinguished, tenured professor named Ragatz from Columbia University while studying for the GCE A level exams, I could not help but being appalled at the overtly racist language used by this "scholar" when referring to certain aspects of slave and post slave Caribbean society, in particular, the relationships, some intimate between formerly black slaves and their former masters. 

By this time, I realized that the USA had a serious racial problem. One that permeated many aspects of society there and did not have an equivalence in the society into which I was born This realization made me very ambiguous when the opportunity came in the early 1980s to migrate to the USA. I ended up doing so mostly to please my wife whose nuclear family members mostly lived here already. But I did it with very mixed feelings. During my nearly 8 years in New York, I found my existence there to be very bi-bifurcated. I mostly got along with the whites that got to know me well through direct contact at work and school. However, the reaction to me by broader society, was at best, mixed. Thus, I can remember situations in which old ladies relocated their seats in the subway when I sat down, never minding the fact that I was dressed in suit and tie (full business attire), and one in which a young white woman turned around and asked me to move back despite the fact I was several feet behind her while standing in line at an ATM. 

Those situations, coupled with the fact that I did not like really cold weather and found NYC to be too big for my liking, led me to relocate in 1990. In the process I considered several locations as I had the advantage of working for a large service firm that had offices in most of the 50 states. I settled on Orlando, Florida because of both the warm weather, and the fact that it did not seem to have much of the racial tension of America's deep south. 

I have recounted all of the above for a reason. The reason is that the USA has many individuals who harbor serious racial hatred. These individuals are not restricted to white people. However, because of the distribution of power within the country, whites have been able to manifest their racism in more devastating ways than other racial groups. Given this dynamic within America, it is not surprising to me that many liberals and others on the so called left of America's political spectrum harbor racist thoughts and beliefs and occasionally act those out. To think any other thing would be incredibly naive. In short, racism and its stain are still present in the USA and will, perhaps, be present for generations to come. 

With the above said, there is a difference between the approach of the Democratic and Republican parties to racism. For sadly, despite being the party of Lincoln, the Republican party during my stay in the USA, has often tolerated, if not openly encouraged, racists within both their ranks and among their supporters. However, this is not the primary reason I am not a Republican. The reason I am not goes much more than skin deep. It has to do with policy and my belief that unbridled capitalism, is in the long run, detrimental to society at large, both from the ravages to our environment and from the fact that unregulated capitalism creates serious social and economic instability.

I have used this separate thread to give as many as possible that read this board an opportunity to see where I stand and why I feel the way I do.   

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

In another thread, I was asked about my reactions to Red Zone as it relates to the fact that he has used racist language in at least one thread directed at an African American member of this board. My response was that I was not aware of the thread and thus I could only go by the fact that in my discourse with him he had not used any racist language with me. The discussion got me to thinking about the prevalence of racism in the USA and its impact on discourse both in language, whether verbal, written; on message boards or social media, in private discussions, or in public. 

My first recognition that the USA had a serious racial problem was in the turmoil of the 1960s when as a young child, television came to Jamaica, and with it images of demonstrations, riots, burnings, and other acts of protest and violence occurring in the USA. At that time, being still in elementary school and late in the decade, the equivalent of middle school, I had trouble comprehending what was occurring there, as Jamaica, while not without some racial animus, had no equivalent degree of racial hostility or tension. Later in the 1970s while leafing through a book written by a distinguished, tenured professor named Ragatz from Columbia University while studying for the GCE A level exams, I could not help but being appalled at the overtly racist language used by this "scholar" when referring to certain aspects of slave and post slave Caribbean society, in particular, the relationships, some intimate between formerly black slaves and their former masters. 

By this time, I realized that the USA had a serious racial problem. One that permeated many aspects of society there and did not have an equivalence in the society into which I was born This realization made me very ambiguous when the opportunity came in the early 1980s to migrate to the USA. I ended up doing so mostly to please my wife whose nuclear family members mostly lived here already. But I did it with very mixed feelings. During my nearly 8 years in New York, I found my existence there to be very bi-bifurcated. I mostly got along with the whites that got to know me well through direct contact at work and school. However, the reaction to me by broader society, was at best, mixed. Thus, I can remember situations in which old ladies relocated their seats in the subway when I sat down, never minding the fact that I was dressed in suit and tie (full business attire), and one in which a young white woman turned around and asked me to move back despite the fact I was several feet behind her while standing in line at an ATM. 

Those situations, coupled with the fact that I did not like really cold weather and found NYC to be too big for my liking, led me to relocate in 1990. In the process I considered several locations as I had the advantage of working for a large service firm that had offices in most of the 50 states. I settled on Orlando, Florida because of both the warm weather, and the fact that it did not seem to have much of the racial tension of America's deep south. 

I have recounted all of the above for a reason. The reason is that the USA has many individuals who harbor serious racial hatred. These individuals are not restricted to white people. However, because of the distribution of power within the country, whites have been able to manifest their racism in more devastating ways than other racial groups. Given this dynamic within America, it is not surprising to me that many liberals and others on the so called left of America's political spectrum harbor racist thoughts and beliefs and occasionally act those out. To think any other thing would be incredibly naive. In short, racism and its stain are still present in the USA and will, perhaps, be present for generations to come. 

With the above said, there is a difference between the approach of the Democratic and Republican parties to racism. For sadly, despite being the party of Lincoln, the Republican party during my stay in the USA, has often tolerated, if not openly encouraged, racists within both their ranks and among their supporters. However, this is not the primary reason I am not a Republican. The reason I am not goes much more than skin deep. It has to do with policy and my belief that unbridled capitalism, is in the long run, detrimental to society at large, both from the ravages to our environment and from the fact that unregulated capitalism creates serious social and economic instability.

I have used this separate thread to give as many as possible that read this board an opportunity to see where I stand and why I feel the way I do.   

Simply put.

You get from me what you dish out to me...

There was a time on this forum no one knew what color anyone was or cared.

I don't care now truly. I live in a city that's 70% black and have NO problems.

End of racial story.

6 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

The story never ends.

That is what people don't understand.

We still have to live with it.

And when we bring issues forth, there will always be opposition.

They want us to let it go and forget.

We can't forget.

It continues.

Whatever you live for is fine with me...

1 hour ago, zulu1128 said:

Well, it would be dumber than usual of you to try and deny it at this point, after over a year and a half of basically bragging about it. xD

Lair. Liar.

You and your tribe are the only ones bringing it up daily. Easy to prove.

I've never mentioned it once to be perfectly honest.

But this forum fails the honesty test.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Lair. Liar.

I agree with the last sentence. It does largely fail the honesty test. Like I said in the past, I don't see you harping on race in your posts.

The lack of honesty is one reason some on this board question my motives for certain posts. For they are not used to transparency. It's largely alien to them.

It never occurred to these individuals even after thirteen months of consistency that maybe, just maybe, I may be telling the truth as it relates to my beliefs and as to why,for example, I post my trades. Because they always have an agenda, they believe that everyone else must also have an agenda.

What they don't realize is that as an old timer who must certainly has lived at least 75% of his expected days on earth, I have no need to play the games that they do, as there is really no purpose to it. I am retired and the days when playing politics was necessary are done, and in any case would not apply to a message board where no one can impact my material well being. I carry no hatred for any individual over any characteristic he or she may have that is beyond his/her control. And that includes race.

As a minorities minority, for I carry within me the genes of Africans, Asians and Europeans, slaves and slave holders alike, as well as those that were neither, at least in the New World, I really don't have time for hating others over race. For if I were to do so, not only would it go against the grain of what I was taught as a child, but it would mean hating a part of the very bring that is me. And, I most certainly don't poses self hatred. I am who I am and I am very comfortable in my skin. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Lair. Liar.

Nope...sorry. And what's "lair?" LOL

Of course...what do you expect? You comment on racial issues almost every day, despite being the only person here to call another poster that name...without ever even apologizing for it.  If you're mad at everyone's sense of irony, that's your problem, muffin. 

Sure...you're at least smart enough not to be the one who brings it up...but you always respond when someone mentions it, and always with the same attempted justification and lack of apology.  "You get from me what you dish out to me." Yikes. xD

You remain a pudgy cuck racist, Chipmunk. There's some honesty for ya. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

FYP. xD

I'm cool with racists, as long as they have the right letter after their name.

Now that is the epitome of fake news. But if that makes you feel good, then run with it. For I really don't give a damn what you think.

I have seen enough of you on this board to know that we would not get along. And this has nothing to do with differing points of view and everything to do with the character you have exhibited!  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Lair. Liar.

Lol

Well TBH I haven't heard you mention it or bring it up in the time I've been posting here.

The only time it is brought up is from the same 2-3 people. 

I'll spare you the stupid laughing emoji.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

Nope...sorry. And what's "lair?" LOL

Of course...what do you expect? You comment on racial issues almost every day, despite being the only person here to call another poster that name...without ever even apologizing for it.  If you're mad at everyone's sense of irony, that's your problem, muffin. 

Sure...you're at least smart enough not to be the one who brings it up...but you always respond when someone mentions it, and always with the same attempted justification and lack of apology.  "You get from me what you dish out to me." Yikes. xD

You remain a pudgy cuck racist, Chipmunk. There's some honesty for ya. 

More lies, but to be expected. 

Often times it's the real closet racists like your tribe that want to label others for cover

You people are NOT slick....in fact, you couldn't be any freakin dumber.

#sad

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I agree with the last sentence. It does largely fail the honesty test. Like I said in the past, I don't see you harping on race in your posts.

The lack of honesty is one reason some on this board question my motives for certain posts. For they are not used to transparency. It's largely alien to them.

It never occurred to these individuals even after thirteen months of consistency that maybe, just maybe, I may be telling the truth as it relates to my beliefs and as to why,for example, I post my trades. Because they always have an agenda, they believe that everyone else must also have an agenda.

What they don't realize is that as an old timer who must certainly has lived at least 75% of his expected days on earth, I have no need to play the games that they do, as there is really no purpose to it. I am retired and the days when playing politics was necessary are done, and in any case would not apply to a message board where no one can impact my material well being. I carry no hatred for any individual over any characteristic he or she may have that is beyond his/her control. And that includes race.

As a minorities minority, for I carry within me the genes of Africans, Asians and Europeans, slaves and slave holders alike, as well as those that were neither, at least in the New World, I really don't have time for hating others over race. For if I were to do so, not only would it go against the grain of what I was taught as a child, but it would mean hating a part of the very bring that is me. And, I most certainly don't poses self hatred. I am who I am and I am very comfortable in my skin. 

I harbor the same genes and once anyone calls me a Ni---er>  I will assure you I don't forgive and damn sure don't forget.  I leave that person alone and they can never ever have any dialogue with me on any subject.  NEVER.  I will exit and continue to read your commentary.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I'm cool with racists, as long as they have the right letter after their name.

Now that is the epitome of fake news. But if that makes you feel good, then run with it. For I really don't give a damn what you think.

I have seen enough of you on this board to know that we would not get along. And this has nothing to do with differing points of view and everything to do with the character you have exhibited!  

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, RedZone said:

More lies, but to be expected. 

Where are the lies? Feel free to point them out. Thanks in advance.

Often times it's the real closet racists like your tribe that want to label others for cover

What label would you prefer for someone who types the words "you dumb n****r" on a keyboard and hits the button? Give us some suggestions, Chip. We're all ears. 

You people are NOT slick....in fact, you couldn't be any freakin dumber.

#sad

#sad indeed. At least your sense of irony remains as robust as your waistline. 

8 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

Where are the lies? Feel free to point them out. Thanks in advance.

What label would you prefer for someone who types the words "you dumb n****r" on a keyboard and hits the button? Give us some suggestions, Chip. We're all ears. 

#sad indeed. At least your sense of irony remains as robust as your waistline. 

Are you rattled?.......You seem to using my name a lot.

What's yours?

3 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Lol

Well TBH I haven't heard you mention it or bring it up in the time I've been posting here.

The only time it is brought up is from the same 2-3 people. 

I'll spare you the stupid laughing emoji.  

Do you expect him to say, “ hey guys, remember when I called DD a N....”? Of course he don’t bring it up. We bring it up to show that he’s a clown and racist. 

Lot of posters here just dgaf that he dropped a N bomb because he agrees with lot of their political beliefs.

I can damn well assure you that I won’t communicate with anyone in a positive fashion that drops N bombs or any racial terms to anyone on a mb or real life. 

• Thanks 1