Top 10 Teams Ever graded by Max Preps

The Stache

Greatest private high school football team of all time:  1976 Moeller which had 26 seniors receive division one scholarships including 17 who were then called major 1A’s.  In ‘77 there were 23 and in ‘78 there were, I think, 20.  All three teams won the Ohio state championship and were part of a 106-2 run with 5 national championships.

The ‘76 team had almost 70 players who eventually received division one scholarships with more than 40 “major 1A.  That’s over forty on one team in one year.

IMG would be jealous.  Moeller, under Faust, was an Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana all star team that played to almost 20,000 at “home” games at the University of Cincinnati and played at least one “national” game every year.  This was when high school football was King in Ohio.

Greatest public high school of all time is 1996 Hampton, VA Which was Ronald Curry’s jr year.  Won the state championship game by more than 50 points over an undefeated team.

In the mix:  1998 Central Bucks West which, I believe, was the best PA team ever.

I saw one of the Southlake Carroll teams listed above and was blown away by them.

an early ‘90’s St. Ignatius and a late ‘90’s DLS should be included in this along with a ‘70’s or ‘80’s Valdosta.

And, a Don Bosco.

But Gerry Faust’s ‘76 Moeller was the best.  I am also going to add this expression:  “in relation to its time.”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Greatest private high school football team of all time:  1976 Moeller which had 26 seniors receive division one scholarships including 17 who were then called major 1A’s.  In ‘77 there were 23 and in ‘78 there were, I think, 20.  All three teams won the Ohio state championship and were part of a 106-2 run with 5 national championships.

The ‘76 team had almost 70 players who eventually received division one scholarships with more than 40 “major 1A.  That’s over forty on one team in one year.

IMG would be jealous.  Moeller, under Faust, was an Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana all star team that played to almost 20,000 at “home” games at the University of Cincinnati and played at least one “national” game every year.  This was when high school football was King in Ohio.

Greatest public high school of all time is 1996 Hampton, VA Which was Ronald Curry’s jr year.  Won the state championship game by more than 50 points over an undefeated team.

In the mix:  1998 Central Bucks West which, I believe, was the best PA team ever.

1976 Moeller is generally considered the 2nd best Ohio team of all time. Wish I would've been able to see them

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

1976 Moeller is generally considered the 2nd best Ohio team of all time. Wish I would've been able to see them

I saw Faust’s last team in 1980 against DeMatha.  (Next year he took over as Notre Dame’s Head Coach). I saw the game with a friend who played for him in the early ‘70’s.  I had never seen a hs team with so many players who were cut/built like Mo.  Almost everybody it seemed.  We ended up having a discussion in the stands then about which Moeller team was the best and three or four fans joined in raving about ‘76.  Years later I downloaded something called “the Gridiron Guide” which was an incredibly detailed 50-60+ page document of Moeller football history.  It listed every scholarship in every year in addition to exhaustive detail about every game and many of the players.

When I say more than 40 on one team were “major 1A” I am talking about Notre Dame, the Big Ten, etc.  Seventeen seniors in one year that received football scholarships to schools like this.

In 1980 Parade Magazine listed it’s 30-40 best players in the U. S.  Moeller had three of them.

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

My buddy was a soph on that '80 team. Went on to be a D3 All-American at Dayton. Still speaks to Faust regularly. 

DeMatha thought they had a really good team that year which is why they played Moeller.

Final was 35-0 Moeller.  DeMatha won all ten of their other games that year.

Did your friend play against Servite at Kings Island the next year?  Servite was loaded and had Steve Beurlein at qb

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BigDrop said:

I saw one of the Southlake Carroll teams listed above and was blown away by them.

an early ‘90’s St. Ignatius and a late ‘90’s DLS should be included in this along with a ‘70’s or ‘80’s Valdosta.

And, a Don Bosco.

But Gerry Faust’s ‘76 Moeller was the best.  I am also going to add this expression:  “in relation to its time.”

Fun Fact: The "Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana" stuff didn't start until the early 80s. Every player on the 76/77/78 teams came from the Moeller parish feeder schools. 

The 80-82 teams had 4 guys from KY and one from IN. In reality, the "multi-state all-star team" thing was pretty overblown. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigDrop said:

DeMatha thought they had a really good team that year which is why they played Moeller.

Final was 35-0 Moeller.  DeMatha won all ten of their other games that year.

Did your friend play against Servite at Kings Island the next year?  Servite was loaded and had Steve Beurlein at qb

The Servite game was in 1982. Servite either led/or was tied after 3 quarters but that Francisco kid broke some runs in the 4th Qtr to help Moeller pull away. 

Fun fact:  Moeller originally wanted to play SoCal power St. Paul in 1978.

St.Paul travelled OOS to Hawaii in 1977 to beat St. Louis 14-6