What up Texas?

DevilDog

14 hours ago, Horsefly said:

We are closing all 3 high schools after this year and opening 2 new ones, Wichita Falls legacy and Wichita Falls memorial.

Was talking about this (in Houston of all places lol) with an Old High grad.  I get you new buildings, but this move seems dumb to me.

34 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Why does it seem dumb? 

Because it's a rivalry and tradition that goes back almost 60 years.  It's not like the schools have to close because of enrollment.  Old High has been a school since 1891 and now basically ceases to exist while you now have two new named schools that no one will have an attachment to.

18 minutes ago, pied said:

Because it's a rivalry and tradition that goes back almost 60 years.  It's not like the schools have to close because of enrollment.  Old High has been a school since 1891 and now basically ceases to exist while you now have two new named schools that no one will have an attachment to.

The issue was to avoid conflict in choosing 2 names of the 3 high schools. So they wanted to avoid it all tigger and keep it fair for all.  New mascots too 

14 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

The issue was to avoid conflict in choosing 2 names of the 3 high schools. So they wanted to avoid it all tigger and keep it fair for all.  New mascots too 

Yeah, I get it.   Of all the possible solutions, this is one of the dumbest imo.

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Then what solution do you think is best and fair for all? 

The one closest to Old High is named Wichita Falls HS, the one closest to the old Rider is Rider HS.  Hirschi was opened up a year after and has transitioned into a magnet school, so they're the odd man out.  I'd add they likely have fewer local alumni as having had a good number of students from the AFB.  

Sucks for the alumni of Hirschi, but better that than sucking for every HS graduate in the history of Wichita Falls.

1 minute ago, pied said:

The one closest to Old High is named Wichita Falls HS, the one closest to the old Rider is Rider HS.  Hirschi was opened up a year after and has transitioned into a magnet school, so they're the odd man out.  I'd add they likely have fewer local alumni as having had a good number of students from the AFB.  

Sucks for the alumni of Hirschi, but better that than sucking for every HS graduate in the history of Wichita Falls.

Hirschi has a ton of history and serves quite a few of the local WF area. (The afb housing area isn’t large but supports 2 districts not just Wichita falls but burkburnett as well)

when I lived on base I sent by oldest to old high then she transferred to burkburnett. It’s a good mix of the base that attends all the schools (although most families live in the local community) 

but taking the “fuck em” approach was thankfully avoided. New name was fair for everyone 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Hirschi has a ton of history and serves quite a few of the local WF area. (The afb housing area isn’t large but supports 2 districts not just Wichita falls but burkburnett as well)

when I lived on base I sent by oldest to old high then she transferred to burkburnett. It’s a good mix of the base that attends all the schools (although most families live in the local community) 

but taking the “fuck em” approach was thankfully avoided. New name was fair for everyone 

Except all the graduates. I’m not affected but spent the weekend with an alum who is pissed along with his whole family, some Rider, some Old High. 

Wichita Falls, a town with a lot of tradition and history, suddenly has no tradition. At all. Not sure how that’s a good thing. 

8 minutes ago, pied said:

Except all the graduates. I’m not affected but spent the weekend with an alum who is pissed along with his whole family, some Rider, some Old High. 

Wichita Falls, a town with a lot of tradition and history, suddenly has no tradition. At all. Not sure how that’s a good thing. 

Does your friend currently live here? 

11 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Does your friend currently live here? 

Nope, he's in Frisco.  Still has family there and likely moving back after his kid graduates this year.  He was born there, went to school there and even went to Midwestern.  Only moved to Frisco four years ago.

• Like 1