The end of the Obama Trump Great Bull Market

DarterBlue

36 minutes ago, ohio said:

Sold DGAZ at 76.4025.   Learned my lesson about holding these two stocks for too long.  It might still go up, but it's better to take a quick profit.

Still got your puts?

Re-bought 1000 shares of DGAZ for 74.33.  Saw several minute green candles and it looked to rebound, so I re-bought it.  Plan on keeping DGAZ overnight, but may sell if it goes up a lot today.  Don't have to work today, so I can keep an eye on it.

One can make a lot of money on DGAZ and UGAZ but you can also lose a lot since they are so volatile. Seems like good day trade stocks.  Keeping either for any length of time can be stressful.

Maxed out my cash though.   So, no more trading till next week.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohio said:

Sold DGAZ at 76.4025.   Learned my lesson about holding these two stocks for too long.  It might still go up, but it's better to take a quick profit.

Still got your puts?

I do, I am close to a decision point. While weak, wholesale panic has not engulfed the market yet. But it is best not to wait for panic before executing a trade. You get much better fills. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I do, I am close to a decision point. While weak, wholesale panic has not engulfed the market yet. But it is best not to wait for panic before executing a trade. You get much better fills. 

Being in the money in options is a win win situation even if you don't liquidate at the top.   So good luck.

Looks the the markets are down due to mostly Government shutdown fears.  We'll see if Trump compromises on the wall to prevent the shut down.

18 minutes ago, ohio said:

Being in the money in options is a win win situation even if you don't liquidate at the top.   So good luck.

Looks the the markets are down due to mostly Government shutdown fears.  We'll see if Trump compromises on the wall to prevent the shut down.

Sell PUTS to Close: Between 1:30 pm and 1:37 pm I sold 20 QQQ, January 17, 2020, 166 PUTS to close at prices between 21.05 and 21.60. At the same time, I sold 20 SPY, January 17, 2020, 260 PUTS to close at prices between 26 and 26.50. I will post the results of my trades later today. Aggregate profits from the two trades amounted to just over 100%. In dollar terms they were about $48,000. I will post the full, accurate results tonight after the close.

With the above action, I am now in 100% cash. With the success on the above trades, I am now up about $55,000 since I resumed trading activity on January 30, 2018 after a 25.5 month hiatus. Without boasting, I must say I am pleased with my performance as at no time did I have more than $190,000 at risk and over the approximate 11 month period I was fully in cash, as I now am, for about a month and a half total. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Sorry you took a loss on that trade. But that's the way it is. Win some and lose some. Hope the reentry works better. 

Thanks for your kind words.  The Europeans raised ng overnight in anticipation of a bullish EIA inventory report. 

I sold again, and reentered again, but I am long on DGAZ as of now.   I am ahead for the day though, but may get out if I see a reverse in direction or if it spikes up too much. 

I was reading some of the posts on the ng forum, and several posters mentioned that this commodity causes stress as it is so volatile, and can change on a dime for no reason.  I too feel the stress in overnight trades.

• Like 1

The fact that I have closed my short positions does not mean that my market opinion has changed at this time. i closed them out because we are now heavily oversold and should bounce back hard over the next two to three trading days. If I am right, I will re-initiate short positions before New Year after the bounce wears itself out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Sell PUTS to Close: Between 1:30 pm and 1:37 pm I sold 20 QQQ, January 17, 2020, 166 PUTS to close at prices between 21.05 and 21.60. At the same time, I sold 20 SPY, January 17, 2020, 260 PUTS to close at prices between 26 and 26.50. I will post the results of my trades later today. Aggregate profits from the two trades amounted to just over 100%. In dollar terms they were about $48,000. I will post the full, accurate results tonight after the close.

With the above action, I am now in 100% cash. With the success on the above trades, I am now up about $55,000 since I resumed trading activity on January 30, 2018 after a 25.5 month hiatus. Without boasting, I must say I am pleased with my performance as at no time did I have more than $190,000 at risk and over the approximate 11 month period I was fully in cash, as I now am for about a month and a half total. 

I am glad that you made money.  Good for you.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

The fact that I have closed my short positions does not mean that my market opinion has changed at this time. i closed them out because we are now heavily oversold and should bounce back hard over the next two to three trading days. If I am right, I will re-initiate short positions before New Year after the bounce wears itself out.

The market could make a bounce up in the next few days, but it could still fall as well.  It's hard to predict a true bottom, as you told me in a previous post.  So, no need to go into shorts too quickly.  If you see a good entry point in the next few days, then go for it.  If you see that you have to wait till after New Years, so be it.

Any ways, nice job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ohio said:

The market could make a bounce up in the next few days, but it could still fall as well.  It's hard to predict a true bottom, as you told me in a previous post.  So, no need to go into shorts too quickly.  If you see a good entry point in the next few days, then go for it.  If you see that you have to wait till after New Years, so be it.

Any ways, nice job.

Yes, both tops and bottoms are hard to identify in real time. I will first see if we do bounce. If we do, I will evaluate its quality before putting on another trade.

Over the weekend, I am going to identify what vehicles I may enter if the market goes as I think it will. If it does not follow my script, I will consider other vehicles including going long if I think the bear has exhausted itself. I don't think it has, but it is not for me to say.

At all times, I must first and foremost listen to what the market is telling me. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Yes, both tops and bottoms are hard to identify in real time. I will first see if we do bounce. If we do, I will evaluate its quality before putting on another trade.

Over the weekend, I am going to identify what vehicles I may enter if the market goes as I think it will. If it does not follow my script, I will consider other vehicles including going long if I think the bear has exhausted itself. I don't think it has, but it is not for me to say.

At all times, I must first and foremost listen to what the market is telling me. 

Agreed.

Just sold DGAZ at 83.11 as I saw it rise too quickly and starting to take a dip.

Glad to be in all cash again.  Plan on enjoying the rest of the day since I don't have to go to work.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ohio said:

Agreed.

Just sold DGAZ at 83.11 as I saw it rise too quickly and starting to take a dip.

Glad to be in all cash again.  Plan on enjoying the rest of the day since I don't have to go to work.

You should treat yourself to something nice. I usually give myself a small reward when I have success. 

• Thanks 1

Official Results:

SPY PUTS  Net Profit $27,100.09; Percent profit 106.89%

QQQ PUTS Net Profit $20,485.09; Percent profit 92.16%

Aggregate Net Profit $47,585.18; percent profit 100.01%

Holding period: First bought 22 of the 40 in mid-October; the 18 remainder in late October and early November. Average holding period about 1.5 months.

2 hours ago, THS2011 said:

Only down about 25,000 in these last two months........ great way to end the year lol

Sorry to hear that.  Most people who buy and hold are as well.

Too bad you didn't short like DarterBlue did.  There are ETFs (UVXY or TVIX) that you can trade like stocks, that short the market.  It would have kept you from being down so much.  Who knows you may have even been ahead.

3 hours ago, THS2011 said:

Only down about 25,000 in these last two months........ great way to end the year lol

If you are relatively young (under 50), you will probably recover. Losses in bear market conditions are part of the buy and hold strategy. If you have been in the market the past 20 years, you have already been through two very bad bear markets. However, even with the weakness since the beginning of October you would still be well ahead of the game.

If you are over 50, then you need to reconsider buy and hold as you may not have enough time left to recoup large losses. Small adjustments such as an age adjusted exposure to stocks can make a world of difference in reducing your losses in bad markets. 

20 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

We met in a Statistics class back in 1978. I had become friends with a dude that very adept quantitatively. I met her because she was a friend of his. 

Nice.

Many people meet their spouse in school.  I met my ex in high school.  I was friends with her two friends and really liked her.  So I asked her out to Pizza Hut on our first date.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ohio said:

Nice.

Many people meet their spouse in school.  I met my ex in high school.  I was friends with her two friends and really liked her.  So I asked her out to Pizza Hut on our first date.

It's kind of funny. We did not date till almost ten months after we met. At first she was just a part of a study group my other friend (who introduced us) and I had started over the Spring break. The relationship just evolved over time. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dan in daytona said:

congradulations Darter, my 35th is next week. Like you, I wanted the marriage deduction (filing jointly before the new year). Started dating in '73.......damn I'm old :) 

Dan your presence was missed in Orlando. Saw Bender, he looked tired but seemed in good spirits. 

Merry Christmas, man!!

• Like 1