Ohio Playoffs Round 1 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Region 1

1 Mentor (9-1) vs. 8 Strongsville (7-3) - Mentor 48 Strongsville 20

Mentor has been rolling all season and are very talented. Their only loss was to a good Solon team in a game that mentor played without their star QB Ian Kipp. Mentor's star RB Trobel has been out for the past couple weeks also. Mentor's Coach Triv has indicated that both players will be good to go in the playoffs.

Strongsville's 3 losses are to Mentor, Solon, & Euclid....which is nothing to be ashamed of. They don't have any marquee wins though. 

I think Mentor will be too much in this one.

2 St. Ignatius (7-2) vs. 7 St. Edward (6-3) - St. Edward 28 Iggy 21

Last week Iggy beat Ed's despite Ed's outgaining them by 100 yds. Two costly turnovers on the wrong side of the field hurt Eds. As was expected, both teams kept it pretty vanilla, and it appears they made a wise decision. 

Overall on the year neither team has any bad losses. Iggy lost to Hoban and Mentor in Weeks 1 & 2. Ed's lost to Mentor and Cass Tech MI in week 1 & 2 and Iggy last week.  Ed's should have never lost to Cass Tech. They had them beat, but on the last play of the game, Cass Tech's QB launched an amazing 70 yd hail mary that a Cass tech WR came down with. I think if Ed's knew Cass Tech's QB could hit the endzone from 70 yds out, Ed's probably would've played their last offensive series a little differently.

This game is a complete toss up. Here's the facts, Ed's has more talent overall, and has more weapons on offense. They have a good QB Dzuro, a good RB Castleberry, and some good WR's Kent & Hightower. Ed's defense is definitely better than average, but not great......Iggy has a great defense led by Eichenberg. Iggy's offense has been improving, led by QB Delahunty and RB Floyd. Still, Iggy's offense isn't an intimidating unit......I think Ed's comes out guns blazing in this one and throws everything they have at Iggy. I look for a close game down to the wire.

Region 2

...................😂

Region 3

1 Hilliard Davidson (9-1) vs. 8 Wayne (6-3) - HD 24 Wayne 21

Hilliard Davidson has bounced back nicely this season. Their only loss was to Pick Central in OT, where HD fumbled, opening the door for Pick Central to hit a FG for the win. 

Wayne has been up and down this year. None of their losses are bad losses (Hoban, Miamisburg, Springfield), and they have some good wins against Northmont, Fairmont, and Trotwood-Madison. 

This a very interesting stylistic matchup. Wayne can score, but their defense isn't very good.....HD has a great defense, but due to their style of play, they aren't scoring machines, and usually play closer games, but just end up winning. For those not familiar with HD's style of play: They are a running option team that will try to use as much clock as posible at all times and limit their opponent's posessions. They also play very good defense, which means that every possession counts. HD can limit teams to only 5-6 possessions per game!........I think this could be a close OT game based on styles. That said, HD has found  ways to beat good teams all year, and I think they'll find a way to win this one.

3 Hilliard Bradley (9-1) vs.  6 Pickerington Central (8-2) - Pick Central 28 Bradley 21

Hilliard Bradley was a pretty good team last year. They gave Pick Central a good game in the playoffs last year. Bradley looks ready to challenge again this year as their only loss this season was a close one score loss to Hilliard Davidson.

Despite Pick Central bringing back incredible dual threat QB Dematric Crenshaw, the Tigers lost an entire dominant OLine, and a game changer in Xavier Henderson. Pick Central has lost twice this year to Lancaster and Reynoldbsurg, and just survived against HD. Pick Central definitely has enough talent to give opposing coaches nightmares, and make a playoff run. Overall though, IMO this Pick Central team is closer to a lot of their past teams as opposed to the Championship caliber team they had last season. 

I think this game could go either way. Pick Central is a very good and experienced playoff team, so I think they will take this one.

Region 4

1 Colerain (10-0) vs. 8 St. Xavier (5-5) - Colerain 21 St. X 17

Colerain has capped another undefeated season, and are looking very good on both sides of the ball. Their Defense is elite. Led by a strong DLine, the best LB corps in the state, and the best secondary in the state. Their triple option offense has so many threats, with a QB Deante Smith-Moore whom is decisive and makes good decisions with the ball and has appeared quite capable of passing, and one of the best overall football players in Ohio in FB/LB Ivan Pace Jr., 2 lightning quick RB's in Syncere Jones & JJ Davis, and some solid options at WR/TE. 

St. X has had an up and down season. They looked quite strong in their first 3 games, and then they started messing around with their QB and lost to Cathedral. They then lost a close game to Moeller, and got blown out in the 2nd half of the Elder game. After that game they have looked very good, and were beating Iggy for a majority of the game before Iggy came back and won. Last week's win vs Lousiville St. X doesn't mean much as they were without their star QB and sat a lot of starters.......X's biggest problem this year has been turnovers. They are a turnover machine. Their QB Hudepohl is very high risk/high reward. He is one heck of an athlete with a cannon for an arm, but not a very good decision maker. X has toyed with a few options at QB. Outside of the Elder game, St. X's Defense has been very good led by Kiessling.

The Rivals meet again, just as predicted, although a little sooner than both probably would've liked. I truly wonder if there's any two teams (not from Hawaii) that have played more times than Colerain/St. X in the last 5, 10, or 15 years? This will be the 22nd meeting in the last 14 years......Since 2000, the series is tied at 11-11. In the last 22 games, the average score is Colerain-18.52 to St. X-18.05. It's that close. 

As far as the macthup goes.....tn week 2 St. X moved the ball pretty well, and QB Hudepohl looked fantastic, however The Colerain defense generated 5 turnovers and set up the Colerain offense with short fields. The X defense looked great. Colerain lost their best OL for the season early in the game. Also Colerain's 2 Speed backs Davis and Jones both had knee injuries just prior to the season and both were noticeably slower until about week 8. With players getting healthy and the Colerain option getting much better as the season progresses, the Colerain offense should pose a much greater threat this time around. That said, historically St. X and their defense are pretty much the only team that knows how to slow down the Colerain option. On the other side of the ball St. X may be without their QB Hudepohl, whom is rumored to be sick and out for this game. The Colerain defense should be able to hold the X offense to 2-3 scores. With as many options as Colerain has on offense, they should be able to outscore X. Also, historically, Colerain has never lost in the first round of the playoffs, and have an incredible record at The Cage. Throughout the years Colerain also performs much better when they play teams for the 2nd time in a season (2016 being the only time this wasn't the case). I think Colerain takes a close game against the team best equipped to beat them in this tournament.

3 Elder (6-4) vs. 6 Moeller (6-4) - Elder 24 Moeller 21

Elder has had an up and down type of season. Generally Elder has a fantastic offense, and a mediocre defense that really struggles with speedy teams. At times their offense has struggled, but other times have lit up the scoreboard. ELder's real claim to fame is their dismantling of St. X...Otherwise Elder's lost to the best teams they've played (Ed's, Iggy, Moe, Winton Woods.) Elder has a great QB in Bittner and  a great WR in Trischler. They're pretty strong on the Lines. 

Moe is a team who has struggled to find an offense most of the year. They have experimented with different options at QB, with little difference in results. Moe's strength this year has been their Defense. They have a defense that can keep them in most games. As usual Moe is very solid along the lines. Moe won the GCL by doing just enough to win. 

This a rematch from week 7 which Moe won 24-21. I see this as a toss up. I will pick Elder just because I don't think Moe is the type of team to beat anybody twice in the same season this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Cole.....spot on with your comments.  See where it is the Max Preps Game of the Week (not just one of the Top 10 games).

Tremendous rivalry... no other way to say it.   Great respect for both programs.  

IMO...QB Hudepohl has to play in order for the Bombers to have a chance.  Without him at QB,  I am afraid they will go to the very conservative play calling, which means the Defense is on the field most of the game.  He threw for almost 300 yards in the first game against Colerain.  High risk/reward QB....yep.  But he is the potential difference maker, if he plays, against Colerain.  

I have no doubt the X defense will come to play, the offense needs to hold up their end of the bargain.  Hudepohl gives them the best chance, hopefully he plays.  One final note: expect the unexpected... it usually happens with these two rivals.

3 hours ago, prepsbill65 said:

Cole.....spot on with your comments.  See where it is the Max Preps Game of the Week (not just one of the Top 10 games).

Tremendous rivalry... no other way to say it.   Great respect for both programs.  

IMO...QB Hudepohl has to play in order for the Bombers to have a chance.  Without him at QB,  I am afraid they will go to the very conservative play calling, which means the Defense is on the field most of the game.  He threw for almost 300 yards in the first game against Colerain.  High risk/reward QB....yep.  But he is the potential difference maker, if he plays, against Colerain.  

I have no doubt the X defense will come to play, the offense needs to hold up their end of the bargain.  Hudepohl gives them the best chance, hopefully he plays.  One final note: expect the unexpected... it usually happens with these two rivals.

No Hudy for the Bombers.  Not on the 2-deep. 

-93CardinalsFan

18 hours ago, CardinalTruth said:

I’d call...

mentor big

Eds finally shows, 10 point plus win

Wayne over HD, just a gut feeling

PC steam rolls Bradley 

colerain by 14 minimum 

dont give a shit about elder or moeller😂

Concur on all, with the exception of HD/Dayton Wayne. 

I just like watching vamps cry. 

Also, I wanted to bump this over all of the Chipmunk Butthurt Threads. 😎

1 minute ago, nptb17 said:

I've been watching most of the D1 games.  Fairmont and Springfield are good teams.  St. X was way outclassed in the first half. I will watch the rest of the D1 games in the second half.

`yep going 

I've been watching most of the D1 games.  Fairmont and Springfield are good teams.  St. X was way outclassed in the first half. I will watch the rest of the D1 games in the second half.

Whoops hit the wrong button, got 3 games running

going to scan around

• Like 1