Ohio Playoffs Round 1 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

30 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

I was wondering what the hell was happening in that game when the scores were coming in. Colerain's path to the final four just got easier (not that Fairfield had a realistic shot). I think it's safe to say a R4 showdown with Elder is on the horizon.  Could present a challenge for the Colerain defense, but Elder does not have the horses on defense to run with the Cards. 

Elder would need to play a flawless game like last night and still rely on several  Cards turnovers to have a punchers chance IMO

Of course you never know and that's why they play the game

26 minutes ago, ohio said:

A team that many people are overlooking is Hilliard Davidson.  Once every decade or so, they have a way of coming out of nowhere and winning a state title.

I don't think anyone is overlooking them.  They aren't good enough to get "national" recognition but they are certainly good enough to enforce their type of game and shock some people come late November.

They are the favorite to win R3, IMO.  If that happens, and if the Cardinals are able to win R4, make no mistake.  The memories of 2006 will come flooding back as that HD team beat, and I STILL HAVE NO IDEA HOW, a Colerain team that was State Championship good.

Will be interesting.

-93CardinalsFan

• Like 1

Just now, Coletrain06 said:

HD's style makes them a tough matchup for anyone. 

Wayne was able to move the ball well enough on them, but only had 2.5 possessions in the first half.

5 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

I don't think anyone is overlooking them.  They aren't good enough to get "national" recognition but they are certainly good enough to enforce their type of game and shock some people come late November.

They are the favorite to win R3, IMO.  If that happens, and if the Cardinals are able to win R4, make no mistake.  The memories of 2006 will come flooding back as that HD team beat, and I STILL HAVE NO IDEA HOW, a Colerain team that was State Championship good.

Will be interesting.

-93CardinalsFan

This season, no team except, maybe, Colerain stands out this year.   Wouldn't be surprised to see a rematch between HD and Mentor in the State final.

1 hour ago, ohio said:

A team that many people are overlooking is Hilliard Davidson.  Once every decade or so, they have a way of coming out of nowhere and winning a state title.

Watch out for Northmont.  I got them knocking of Pickerington Central.  I'll take Springfield over Hilliard Davidson as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nptb17 said:

Watch out for Northmont.  I got them knocking of Pickerington Central.  I'll take Springfield over Hilliard Davidson as well.

You're right about Northmont.   Since their loss to Wayne, they have been on a tear.  Beating Darby by 22 is impressive.

I too, think they knock off the State champs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Will be interesting.

-93CardinalsFan

I thought for sure 2006 was going to see an Ed's/Colerain final.  Then Ed's gets knocked out by Warren Harding in a 7-3 slugfest and HD ground it out against the Cards on their way to the title. 

6 hours ago, nptb17 said:

That would be something.  I am guessing most are expecting a Pick Central vs. Hilliard Davidson final.  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see Pick Central take an L before they reach the state semi's.

I know Springfield is talented, I just think that HD magic seems to be heating up and I can't see them losing to Springfield.

-93CardinalsFan

3 hours ago, OdbCle said:

I thought for sure 2006 was going to see an Ed's/Colerain final.  Then Ed's gets knocked out by Warren Harding in a 7-3 slugfest and HD ground it out against the Cards on their way to the title. 

That is one, in a LOOOOOONG list, of the seasons that Colerain found a way to waste a very good team by losing a game inexplicably to a team they were arguably better than.  SIX shutouts that year and scored 24 the week before against defending State Champion St. X...could only muster 6 points against the Cats...sickening.

-93CardinalsFan

30 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

That is one, in a LOOOOOONG list, of the seasons that Colerain found a way to waste a very good team by losing a game inexplicably to a team they were arguably better than.  SIX shutouts that year and scored 24 the week before against defending State Champion St. X...could only muster 6 points against the Cats...sickening.

-93CardinalsFan

Very true. 2003 still hurts the most IMO 

Hats off to the Cards.  Destiny is in their hands.  IMO, they would have to self-destruct not to win it all this year.

Colerain vs. Milford at St. Xavier.  Cards' fans may enjoy sitting on the X side.  Team is certainly very familiar with the "friendly" surroundings.  A very good team that will be difficult for anyone to beat.  

25 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Who's considered the best team in the state right now, Colerain or Hoban? Thx. 

GSB.....hopefully others on here (who have seen Hoban) can give you a better appraisal.  

IMO, Colerain.  Sometimes hard to compare D1 and D2 teams in Ohio.  Hoban is not my D2 pick, Cincinnati Winton Woods is.

That being said, Hoban is a very good traditional program.  They beat St. Ignatius earlier this year.

Colerain is the team to beat.  Coach Bolden will get his championship this year I hope, and the Cards first since that awesome group in 2004.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

Hoban will beat WW just as badly this year as they did last year...assuming WW is lucky enough to dodge Massillon in the semis. 

Agreed. WW is a strong team, but their first round playoff game showed their vulnerabilities.  No way they would come back against Hoban or TCC if they got themselves in that type of hole. Probably not against Massillon either. 

Hoban would certainly be a one of the odds on favorites in D1, right up there with Colerain and Mentor. 

5 hours ago, prepsbill65 said:

Hats off to the Cards.  Destiny is in their hands.  IMO, they would have to self-destruct not to win it all this year.

😧 Because THAT'S never happened before!!

Sweet Lord in Heaven I hope you are right.  Still some good teams in R3 left and Mentor is a monster up North.  If Colerain get's their pass defense tested against Milford and possibly Elder, it will certainly help a bit if they are fortunate enough to take on a team like Mentor...assuming THEY make it that far!

Ohio Division 1 playoffs are awesome, regardless of the year.

-93CardinalsFan

• Haha 1

An interesting thought. In Week 1 Colerain had longsnapper issues with 3 errant snaps on an XP and 2 FG's, all of which would've probably been automatic if not for the snap. If Colerain makes all 3 kicks, they would've put up 30/running clocked La Salle.......which means they would've running-clocked every team they've played this year

5 hours ago, prepsbill65 said:

GSB.....hopefully others on here (who have seen Hoban) can give you a better appraisal.  

IMO, Colerain.  Sometimes hard to compare D1 and D2 teams in Ohio.  Hoban is not my D2 pick, Cincinnati Winton Woods is.

That being said, Hoban is a very good traditional program.  They beat St. Ignatius earlier this year.

Colerain is the team to beat.  Coach Bolden will get his championship this year I hope, and the Cards first since that awesome group in 2004.

Winton Woods is probably 4 or 5 in D2.  Hoban is as big of favorite as Alabama in D2.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zulu1128 said:

I agree that 2003 was likely a dagger with that ending, but the teams were pretty evenly matched. 2006 was just so ridiculous, as Colerain was just so obviously the way better team. 

True Elder was very good in 2003. Still think Colerain was definitely better tho.

Yes, in 2006, Colerain was very good and definitely the better team. That HD team is underrated tho. Colerain drove into the redzone 3 times that game, but couldn't punch it in and settled for 2 FG's and were stuffed on a 4th down. HD executed the classic HD style of play flawlessly in that game. I think Colerain only had 2-3 possessions in the 2nd half. The Colerain defense shut down HD's offense tho.