Ohio Playoffs Round 2 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Region 1

Mentor (10-1) vs. Canton McKinley (9-2) Mentor 49 McKinley 21

Mentor's QB Kipp returned last week and Mentor looked solid beating Strongsville 38-7. Mentor's Gladish had 2 pick 6's. 

McKinley lost 2 close games in weeks 9 and 10 to rivals Perry and Massillon. They pulled it together last week, getting key stops in the red zone and beating Solon 28-15. 

McKinley is an athletic team, but I don't think they'll be able to handle the scheme and precision of Mentor. 

St. Edward (7-3) vs. Euclid (9-2) - Ed's 35 Euclid 21

Ed's bounced back last week and kocked off rival Iggy 21-19. Ed's took advantage of some Iggy turnovers, and a failed XP for Iggy ended up being the difference. Ed's Qb Dzuro played a nice games, but RB Castleberry left the game injured. 

Euclid completely dominated Austintown Fitch 35-0. Coach Rotsky said they got banged up in the game, so not sure how healthy they'll be when they play Eds. 

Euclid's only losses on the year are multiple score losses to Iggy and Mentor. Ed's is in that same class, so I see Ed's pulling this one out, especially if Euclid isn't at full health.

Region 2 

Reynoldsburg (10-1) vs. Olentangy Liberty (7-4) Reynoldsburg 21 Liberty 10

Reynoldsburg destroyed an overmatched Toledo Start team 52-0. Reynoldsburg only has one close loss to Gahanna Lincoln and have good wins over Pick North, Pick Central, and Lancaster.

Olentangy Liberty has had an average year. They've won a bunch close games and lost some. They are the back to back defending Region 2 champs, so they know how to play in big games.

This could be a close toss up type game. I'm still going to go with the favorite, Reynoldsburg. 

Whitmer (9-2) vs. Dublin Coffman (10-1) - Coffman 30 Whitmer 27

Whitmer has had another solid year. They won last week, beating a solid Olentangy Liberty team 20-17. Their 2 losses were blowouts to Novi CC MI, and TCC. 

Coffman has had a nice season so far. They have a nice win over Pick North, and their lone loss was a blowout to Hilliard Davidson that was actually a lot closer than the final score indicated. Coffman made a few dumb mistakes in that game that really hurt them. 

I think this game is a toss up. Coffman has a nice RB, and a decent QB, but lack a lot of speed. This isn't one of Whitmer better teams, but they should be able to hang with Coffman.

Region 3

Hilliard Davidson (10-1) vs. Springfield (9-2) HD 17 Springfield 10

HD held on to beat Wayne 28-21 last week. HD does what HD does. They have a nice resume with wins over Darby, Bradley, Olentangy Liberty, Coffman and Wayne. 

Springfield has had one of their best seasons in awhile. They beat Fairmont last week 19-14 after losing a close game to them the week before. Springfield has good wins over Lancaster, Fairfield, Wayne, and Fairmont. 

Springfield usually has an athletic team that plays good defense. I watched the HD/Coffman game this week and wasn't really impressed with either team. HD has a nice defense. I could see this game going either way, but HD executes so well and with precision. I think their attention to detail will win the game for them. 

Northmont (10-1) vs. Pickerington Central (9-2) Northmont 24 Pick Central 21

Northmont recieved some preseason hype, and it appears it was for good reason. They've only lost once in a blowout to Wayne, but they've blown out almost everyone else they've played.

Pick Central was quite lucky to beat Bradley last week. An early missed XP ended up giving Pick Central a 14-13 win. Pick Central returned a fumble to get the go ahead score.

Pick Central is definitely not the team from last year. They are good, but have struggled against most good teams they've played, both offensively and defensively. This is definitely a toss up game. 

Region 4

Colerain (11-0) vs. Milford (9-2) - Colerain 42 Milford 21

Colerain completely dominated rival St. X 35-9, putting a running clock on them.  After getting pinned at the 1 on their first possession, Colerain was tackled in the endzone for a safety. After that Colerain never looked back. The Colerain offense ran wild on X, and the Colerain Defense essentailly held X scoreless, as X's TD came in the final seconds against the Colerain 2nd and 3rd string. What's even more crazy is that Colerain was able to do all that without their biggest LB/DL Eric Phiilips on Defense. 

Milford grabbed their program's biggest win last week in an unprecedented comeback win after being down 35-7 to Faifield in the 2nd half. Milford scored the next 32 points unanswered to win. Fairfield was without their 2 best players for the majority of the game. Milford lost to both Fairmont and Kings in the regular season. They also lost to Princeton, but that was ovetruned to a Win because of an ineligible player. 

Colerain is clicking on all cylinders, and I agree with many people whom have said that Colerain would have to majorly implode to not make it to the Finals. Unfortunately Colerain has had a habit of dumb mistakes and turnovers ruining a state champion caliber team...That said, this year feels different. The players are playing with such great unselfish chemistry, and the captains are taking over games......................Milford's Coach Grippa has done a simply remarkable job turning around Milford, and Milford will definitely have the best passing attack and overall offense Colerain has faced.....The problem however will be that Milford's Defense will not stop Colerain's offense......I'm very interested to see how Colerain handles the passing attack of Milford. 

Elder (7-4) vs. Lakota East (8-3) - Elder 38 Lakota East 20

Elder whooped Moeller 35-0 last week. Elder has strong lines, a great QB and some great WR's. They lack seriously in speed, and their defense is just slightly better than average. It's been a very up and down year for Elder.

Lakota East took out Mason last week. Lakota East has a nice FB and Rb in their triple option atsck. East has lost to Kings, Fairfield, and Colerain.

I don't think this will be close. Elder should dominate.

2018 playoffs copy.png

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zulu1128 said:

I think Euclid might hang with Ed longer than people expect. 

If Colerain gives up 21 to Milford, that could signal some pending trouble against Elder next week, assuming they advance. 

Starting to think Reynoldsburg might come out of Region 2. 

I think Milford gets a late TD or 2

Agree about Reynoldsburg, tho I'd like to see a game of theirs.

Coletrain06 - maybe your best preview yet.  Very well done.

Only toss-up I go the other way on is DC vs TW.  I just feel that DC doesn't have the overall tools necessary to take down TW.  Their RB is special and their QB is a big boy but don't see a whole lot else.  Would not be at all surprised to see DC win that one.

I am fascinated to watch this Colerain/Milford game tomorrow night.  The best case scenario is that Colerain does what they do defensively and we look up at the scoreboard at the beginning of the 4th quarter and it's 42-7 Cards.  Worst case is Colerain mightily struggles with the vaunted passing of Hunter Johnson, the running of Cameron Kells and the scoreboard at the beginning of the 4th quarter reads something like....42-14.  LOL

I just keep thinking about this being a game that Ivan Pace Jr. can absolutely dominate.  He is going to show the Eagles a level of play I don't think they've seen all year long.  To be in the head of Cameron Kells the first time Pace hits him behind the line....😮.

-93CardinalsFan

42 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Coletrain06 - maybe your best preview yet.  Very well done.

Only toss-up I go the other way on is DC vs TCC.  I just feel that DC doesn't have the overall tools necessary to take down TCC.  Their RB is special and their QB is a big boy but don't see a whole lot else.  Would not be at all surprised to see DC win that one.

Do you mean Coffman vs Whitmer?

24 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Guys, 

I'm currently working on an "OH vs The USA" doubleheader event hosted by X in late August. In a perfect world, Colerain will be the second OH rep. More to follow. #PGL

When you say "hosted by X"...do you mean St. Xavier or literally "X" meaning we don't know yet?

-93CardinalsFan

1 hour ago, Mjd33 said:

Send BC and SJR. Thanks. 

This sounds solid

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Bigger and better things are planned for them in 2019!! 

Colerain generally reloads, so they'll be a good team, but they'll be replacing a QB, FB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's 3 OLinemen, 1 DL, 3 LB's, & 3 DB's.............I hope you're not planning on IMG, MD, SJB, SFA.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Coletrain,

i like your picks for the week.

the PC game looks to be the close one

rain turning to snow in NE Ohio tomorrow so turnovers could play a big part in those games

Come on now, we Clevelanders love snow.  Especially on the football field. Lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The games would be played at St Xavier Boys HS in Cincy. St X would play in the nightcap, while Colerain would host the undercard game. 

One of my favorite memories from the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA games came in 2008 when Colerain played McKeesport PA in the afternoon and St. X played Prattville AL in the nightcap at the Bengal's Paul Brown Stadium.........

Colerain and McKeesport were going into OT as X's notoriously loud student section started filing in. The X student section started chanting Ohio and Colerain chants with the Colerain students and fans from across the stadium. It was awesome. Colerain then made a big hit in OT to end the game on a turnover.......

Colerain then repayed the favor to X and stuck around for the start of the X Game. The Colerain side then started chanting "X gon give it to ya"[the DMX song that X comes out to].....

now keep in mind that Colerain and X are usually rivals and Colerain had just beat X the week before. Really cool show of sportsmanship and state unity.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

One of my favorite memories from the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA games came in 2008 when Colerain played McKeesport PA in the afternoon and St. X played Prattville AL in the nightcap at the Bengal's Paul Brown Stadium.........

Colerain and McKeesport were going into OT as X's notoriously loud student section started filing in. The X student section started chanting Ohio and Colerain chants with the Colerain students and fans from across the stadium. It was awesome. Colerain then made a big hit in OT to end the game on a turnover.......

Colerain then repayed the favor to X and stuck around for the start of the X Game. The Colerain side then started chanting "X gon give it to ya"[the DMX song that X comes out to].....

now keep in mind that Colerain and X are usually rivals and Colerain had just beat X the week before. Really cool show of sportsmanship and state unity.

I just got done officiating a bunch of former Colerain stars flag football game.  Goodey said I was auditioning for a NFL job.  

8 hours ago, nptb17 said:

I just got done officiating a bunch of former Colerain stars flag football game.  Goodey said I was auditioning for a NFL job.  

Ha Goody's a good dude. Always smilin. Always takes time to say hi and check up on people who weren't even in his circle of friends in high school. 

Were the Byrd brothers there too?

6 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Ha Goody's a good dude. Always smilin. Always takes time to say hi and check up on people who weren't even in his circle of friends in high school. 

Were the Byrd brothers there too. 

One of the Byrd brothers could have been there but I'm not sure.  L A Ramsey was there making plays though.  Their best player was a girl who was killing down the middle of the field.  I told Goody she was making him look good because he was an average qb.  

1 hour ago, zulu1128 said:

I’ve not met him personally, but numerous people have mentioned to me over the years that Dom is a pretty excellent human. 

Actually almost put him up in the “best you ever saw” thread, but didn’t feel like having to defend it to all the knuckleheads. 

He was damn good. I think he was initially signed to the Jets or Raiders but was dropped before the season. If only He had top end speed! He dominated arena football, and has had a few workouts with NFL teams since.

Funny thing is, I think he's still Colerain' s all time leading scorer in basketball. He's certainly the best basketball player I've ever played against.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:14 AM, Coletrain06 said:

Region 1

Mentor (10-1) vs. Canton McKinley (9-2) Mentor 49 McKinley 21

Mentor's QB Kipp returned last week and Mentor looked solid beating Strongsville 38-7. Mentor's Gladish had 2 pick 6's. 

McKinley lost 2 close games in weeks 9 and 10 to rivals Perry and Massillon. They pulled it together last week, getting key stops in the red zone and beating Solon 28-15. 

McKinley is an athletic team, but I don't think they'll be able to handle the scheme and precision of Mentor. 

St. Edward (7-3) vs. Euclid (9-2) - Ed's 35 Euclid 21

Ed's bounced back last week and kocked off rival Iggy 21-19. Ed's took advantage of some Iggy turnovers, and a failed XP for Iggy ended up being the difference. Ed's Qb Dzuro played a nice games, but RB Castleberry left the game injured. 

Euclid completely dominated Austintown Fitch 35-0. Coach Rotsky said they got banged up in the game, so not sure how healthy they'll be when they play Eds. 

Euclid's only losses on the year are multiple score losses to Iggy and Mentor. Ed's is in that same class, so I see Ed's pulling this one out, especially if Euclid isn't at full health.

Region 2 

Reynoldsburg (10-1) vs. Olentangy Liberty (7-4) Reynoldsburg 21 Liberty 10

Reynoldsburg destroyed an overmatched Toledo Start team 52-0. Reynoldsburg only has one close loss to Gahanna Lincoln and have good wins over Pick North, Pick Central, and Lancaster.

Olentangy Liberty has had an average year. They've won a bunch close games and lost some. They are the back to back defending Region 2 champs, so they know how to play in big games.

This could be a close toss up type game. I'm still going to go with the favorite, Reynoldsburg. 

Whitmer (9-2) vs. Dublin Coffman (10-1) - Coffman 30 Whitmer 27

Whitmer has had another solid year. They won last week, beating a solid Olentangy Liberty team 20-17. Their 2 losses were blowouts to Novi CC MI, and TCC. 

Coffman has had a nice season so far. They have a nice win over Pick North, and their lone loss was a blowout to Hilliard Davidson that was actually a lot closer than the final score indicated. Coffman made a few dumb mistakes in that game that really hurt them. 

I think this game is a toss up. Coffman has a nice RB, and a decent QB, but lack a lot of speed. This isn't one of Whitmer better teams, but they should be able to hang with Coffman.

Region 3

Hilliard Davidson (10-1) vs. Springfield (9-2) HD 17 Springfield 10

HD held on to beat Wayne 28-21 last week. HD does what HD does. They have a nice resume with wins over Darby, Bradley, Olentangy Liberty, Coffman and Wayne. 

Springfield has had one of their best seasons in awhile. They beat Fairmont last week 19-14 after losing a close game to them the week before. Springfield has good wins over Lancaster, Fairfield, Wayne, and Fairmont. 

Springfield usually has an athletic team that plays good defense. I watched the HD/Coffman game this week and wasn't really impressed with either team. HD has a nice defense. I could see this game going either way, but HD executes so well and with precision. I think their attention to detail will win the game for them. 

Northmont (10-1) vs. Pickerington Central (9-2) Northmont 24 Pick Central 21

Northmont recieved some preseason hype, and it appears it was for good reason. They've only lost once in a blowout to Wayne, but they've blown out almost everyone else they've played.

Pick Central was quite lucky to beat Bradley last week. An early missed XP ended up giving Pick Central a 14-13 win. Pick Central returned a fumble to get the go ahead score.

Pick Central is definitely not the team from last year. They are good, but have struggled against most good teams they've played, both offensively and defensively. This is definitely a toss up game. 

Region 4

Colerain (11-0) vs. Milford (9-2) - Colerain 42 Milford 21

Colerain completely dominated rival St. X 35-9, putting a running clock on them.  After getting pinned at the 1 on their first possession, Colerain was tackled in the endzone for a safety. After that Colerain never looked back. The Colerain offense ran wild on X, and the Colerain Defense essentailly held X scoreless, as X's TD came in the final seconds against the Colerain 2nd and 3rd string. What's even more crazy is that Colerain was able to do all that without their biggest LB/DL Eric Phiilips on Defense. 

Milford grabbed their program's biggest win last week in an unprecedented comeback win after being down 35-7 to Faifield in the 2nd half. Milford scored the next 32 points unanswered to win. Fairfield was without their 2 best players for the majority of the game. Milford lost to both Fairmont and Kings in the regular season. They also lost to Princeton, but that was ovetruned to a Win because of an ineligible player. 

Colerain is clicking on all cylinders, and I agree with many people whom have said that Colerain would have to majorly implode to not make it to the Finals. Unfortunately Colerain has had a habit of dumb mistakes and turnovers ruining a state champion caliber team...That said, this year feels different. The players are playing with such great unselfish chemistry, and the captains are taking over games......................Milford's Coach Grippa has done a simply remarkable job turning around Milford, and Milford will definitely have the best passing attack and overall offense Colerain has faced.....The problem however will be that Milford's Defense will not stop Colerain's offense......I'm very interested to see how Colerain handles the passing attack of Milford. 

Elder (7-4) vs. Lakota East (8-3) - Elder 38 Lakota East 20

Elder whooped Moeller 35-0 last week. Elder has strong lines, a great QB and some great WR's. They lack seriously in speed, and their defense is just slightly better than average. It's been a very up and down year for Elder.

Lakota East took out Mason last week. Lakota East has a nice FB and Rb in their triple option atsck. East has lost to Kings, Fairfield, and Colerain.

I don't think this will be close. Elder should dominate.

2018 playoffs copy.png

To get this thread back on topic, I got the same picks as you, except for Springfield over HD.  If I'm Springfield, I take the ball first if I win the toss and try and big play them to put the pressure on that time killing offense of HD.  

In D2 we have some decent matchups. 

Hoban will play undefeated Garfield Heights......will most likely smash them, but they are both undefeated.

TCC will play Avon Lake who is 10-1 and just avenged their lone loss last week. TCC likely rolls, but it's interesting.

In D6 Region 24 you have Coldwater playing St. Henry, and Marion Local playing Lima Central Catholic. Coldwater and Marion Local are 2 of the best small schools programs in the country. St. Henry beat Coldwater few weeks ago. Should be a great game.

• Like 1