Who is interested in Monday night football tonight?

Bodysurf

21 minutes ago, Texasball said:

Quick history for you guys.  They started changing the rules in the late 70’s for the better.  Go back and read stories about San Diego in the late 1970’s.

during that time they moved the hash marks in even with the goal post to give more room to throw and stopped allowing DB to maul receivers past 5 yards.  What major change have they made besides “hitting rules for safety of the players” since that time? 

Many of the offenses today are way harder to defend for example RPO’s / 4 and 5 wide on nearly every play and so much more- then what teams did in the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, and really some of the 2000’s.  That is the real difference.   The game is faster and played with better over all athletes only because of training and strength and conditioning practices of today vs way back then (not so much born with talent)

pull up videos of old games and refresh your memory of the way the game was played.  Like most things the games has progressed.

I think for a lot of people including myself it hasnt gotten better. We liked the way the game was played. We are not interested in 100 points being scored.

25 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I think for a lot of people including myself it hasnt gotten better. We liked the way the game was played. We are not interested in 100 points being scored.

IMO that is like saying - you would rather have 80 model computer or build buildings in old ways that will crumble to the ground during earthquakes.  The game has progressed with new ideas and offensive innovation - just like cars, buildings, computers etc 

defending is way harder than it once was and that is just the truth to matter.

Look at the dates of the highest scoring regular season games in NFL history

scoredScoreWinning teamLosing teamDateRef11372–41Washington RedskinsNew York GiantsNovember 27, 1966[1]10658–48Cincinnati BengalsCleveland BrownsNovember 28, 2004[2]10554–51Los Angeles RamsKansas City ChiefsNovember 19, 2018[3]10152–49Oakland RaidersHouston OilersDecember 22, 1963[4]10152–49New Orleans SaintsNew York GiantsNovember 1, 2015[5]9951–48 (OT)Seattle SeahawksKansas City ChiefsNovember 27, 1983[6]9951–48Denver BroncosDallas CowboysOctober 6, 2013[7]9854–44San Diego ChargersPittsburgh SteelersDecember 8, 1985[8]9651–45Cleveland BrownsCincinnati BengalsSeptember 16, 2007[9]9651–45 (OT)New York JetsMiami DolphinsSeptember 21, 1986[10]9548–47Green Bay PackersWashington RedskinsOctober 17, 1983[11]9049–41San Diego ChargersCincinnati BengalsNovember 12, 2006[12]9052–38New Orleans SaintsDetroit LionsOctober 15, 2017[13]8948–41New Orleans SaintsArizona CardinalsDecember 18, 2016[14]8848–40Tampa Bay BuccaneersNew Orleans SaintsSeptember 9, 2018[15]8745–42 (OT)Oakland RaidersCleveland BrownsSeptember 30, 2018[16]8551–34Pittsburgh SteelersIndianapolis ColtsOctober 26, 2014[17]8343–40New England PatriotsKansas City ChiefsOctober 14, 2018[18]

8 minutes ago, Texasball said:

IMO that is like saying - you would rather have 80 model computer or build buildings in old ways that will crumble to the ground during earthquakes.  The game has progressed with new ideas and offensive innovation - just like cars, buildings, computers etc 

defending is way harder than it once was and that is just the truth to matter.

Doesn't make it better. As with appliances of today and cars they are crap compare to what they used to be. That's why people want classic cars because they are better than today's junk. 

Today's rules do not make the game better in anyway. And there are plenty of people who agree with this statement. People do not want to see 100 point games. It's sad that you wont ever see another defense like the 85 bears. The 2001 ravens etc etc. 

I became a sports fan because of hard hitting defense across sports. Now with that out of the game it is getting very hard to watch sports. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Doesn't make it better. As with appliances of today and cars they are crap compare to what they used to be. That's why people want classic cars because they are better than today's junk. 

Today's rules do not make the game better in anyway. And there are plenty of people who agree with this statement. People do not want to see 100 point games. It's sad that you wont ever see another defense like the 85 bears. The 2001 ravens etc etc. 

I became a sports fan because of hard hitting defense across sports. Now with that out of the game it is getting very hard to watch sports. 

You are talking to old school middle LB.

guys are still hitting hard at all levels of the game.  It’s just harder to defend in the modern era of football.  It has more to do with what you are forced to defend then the rule changes.  

I will agree that in college football the sec plays the best overall defense.  However look at OU in recent bowl games against the SEC

2018 - 48 vs Georgia L

2017- 35 vs Auburn W

2014 - 45 vs Alabama W

all 3 of these teams had great players and good coaching - yet still struggled to defend this type of team.

7 minutes ago, Texasball said:

You are talking to old school middle LB.

guys are still hitting hard at all levels of the game.  It’s just harder to defend in the modern era of football.  It has more to do with what you are forced to defend then the rule changes.  

I will agree that in college football the sec plays the best overall defense.  However look at OU in recent bowl games against the SEC

2018 - 48 vs Georgia L

2017- 35 vs Auburn W

2014 - 45 vs Alabama W

all 3 of these teams had great players and good coaching - yet still struggled to defend this type of team.

Oklahoma offense will always keep them in a game but they are not consistent. Gave up 40 against Kansas. Lost to texas. Wonder what WVU is gonna do?? What do u think 45 or more against oklahoma. The big 12 has become a joke. Yeah they had some great games as you pointed out but they either have it or they dont. Would get more respect if they were a lot of consistent. 

I just can't watch today's brand of the nfl. It's just my preference. Nothing was better than watching guys like brian urlacher ray lewis Turell Suggs troy polamulu etc etc. 

Even patrick Willis was a beast

Your not gonna see guys like that anymore. These guys today are more of an investment than anything else. 

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Oklahoma offense will always keep them in a game but they are not consistent. Gave up 40 against Kansas. Lost to texas. Wonder what WVU is gonna do?? What do u think 45 or more against oklahoma. The big 12 has become a joke. Yeah they had some great games as you pointed out but they either have it or they dont. Would get more respect if they were a lot of consistent. 

I just can't watch today's brand of the nfl. It's just my preference. Nothing was better than watching guys like brian urlacher ray lewis Turell Suggs troy polamulu etc etc. 

Even patrick Willis was a beast

Your not gonna see guys like that anymore. These guys today are more of an investment than anything else. 

I agree the OU defense is big issue for them which has nothing to with today’s game.  It has to do with coaching and recruiting.

those guys you mentioned would be kicking ass in today’s game too.

There are some incredible defensive players in the NFL right now too IMO

10 minutes ago, Texasball said:

I agree the OU defense is big issue for them which has nothing to with today’s game.  It has to do with coaching and recruiting.

those guys you mentioned would be kicking ass in today’s game too.

There are some incredible defensive players in the NFL right now too IMO

Obv they didn't play in monday game 54-51 ouch

6 hours ago, Texasball said:

Quick history for you guys.  They started changing the rules in the late 70’s for the better.  Go back and read stories about San Diego in the late 

I realize rules have been evolving since the NFL began and even after the 1970 merger. I grew up watching in the 70’s. So I’m fully aware of history from the merger on.

But the rule changes that have occurred since the early 2000’s have had more of an effect on the game that is played today. From the 5 yard contact rule to more and more protection penalties levied against defenses. I’ve cited numerous examples in the past so I’m not going to do it again. But all you have to do is compare QB numbers of those that began their careers before the changes then played well after. It’s like looking at baseball stats during the steroid era.

I’ll leave it at that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bormio said:

Actually I think it was only the 3rd highest scoring game of all-time - the Redskins beat the Giants many years ago 72-41 (115 points).  The emphasis on #s now is all tied up with fantasy football - which is a huge moneymaker for the NFL - if only indirectly.

Right, but it was the highest scoring MNF game of all time. Out of around 775 games, IIRC.

Like I said, it’s been building towards this for a while. Same applies to the NBA — which has continued to eliminate the ability to play defense and be physical. The result is fresher legs at the end of games and more space to operate. That’s why we’ve been seeing the likes of Curry and Thompson go crazy like never before.

Many fans are oblivious to the hows and whys which is exactly what these pro leagues want. Kids today want to see their video games in real life. So it draws major interest.

• Like 2