Dow down 750

noonereal

51 minutes ago, Troll said:

Good for you...👍

Funny thing with trend trading....I did it a bunch...but never got so deep as to invest in the downside...

Always thought it was more fun (and harder) to predict the up spikes...

Never felt like I was taking advantage or anything...betting on the house side...

Markets, or individual stocks etc., can be much more easily manipulated downward...than vice versa...

just food for thought, no ill intentions...

I have had more success long than short. In individual stocks, I have only made good money shorting the William W. Wrigley Company and a Date Storage Stock from the 1990s (Storage Technology?) whose name I am not completely sure of at the moment.

In the 2008 bear market I made a decent trade on the QID (NASDAQ 100 Ultra Short, ETF). All my biggest winning trades have been make in long positions the best of which percentage wise, was Hanson Natural, now, Monster Beverages. I attribute this to the fact that bull markets trend better and are more frequent than bear markets. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

I have had more success long than short. In individual stocks, I have only made good money shorting the William W. Wrigley Company and a Date Storage Stock from the 1990s (Storage Technology?) whose name I am not completely sure of at the moment.

In the 2008 bear market I made a decent trade on the QID (NASDAQ 100 Ultra Short, ETF). All my biggest winning trades have been make in long positions the best of which percentage wise, was Hanson Natural, now, Monster Beverages. I attribute this to the fact that bull markets trend better and are more frequent than bear markets. 

NICE!

…..But doesn't it just seem like SOOooo much easier to pick the loser's???

Like how is THAT shit ever supposed to fly!! LOLOL 🤣

1 minute ago, Troll said:

NICE!

…..But doesn't it just seem like SOOooo much easier to pick the loser's???

Like how is THAT shit ever supposed to fly!! LOLOL 🤣

Some losers are obvious, but you have to get the timing right. A buddy of mine shorted Marvel Technology back in the early 2000s at around $45. Well the stock proceeded to go up to around $180 before crashing to the single digits. Needless to say he was forced to cover his losses before it came crashing down. The problem with his trade is that it was purely based on fundamentals: his reading of their 10K and other SEC filings coupled with some industry information.

The spectacular rise and subsequent crash all took place over less than a year!

• Like 1

Just now, DarterBlue said:

The spectacular rise and subsequent crash all took place over less than a year!

HINT: That's why I never 'shorted'.....

(Look at the way the betting is carried out, be different otherwise)

Biggest losers are 'usually' the largest 'manipulated'...

swim with the fishes....or swim with the sharks...

giphy.gif

Just don't let yourself get washed downstream...

6 minutes ago, Troll said:

HINT: That's why I never 'shorted'.....

(Look at the way the betting is carried out, be different otherwise)

Biggest losers are 'usually' the largest 'manipulated'...

swim with the fishes....or swim with the sharks...

giphy.gif

Just don't let yourself get washed downstream...

It is why this go around I have limited my shorting to being long, long term PUTS. My potential loss is clearly defined even if I were indisciplined enough to not cover when things clearly changed.  

If it becomes clear the downtrend has been broken, regardless of how "I feel" about conditions, I will cover before Christmas

5 hours ago, Troll said:

EVERYONE that was paying attention, knew that the market was going to TANK today....

The market trades on Rumors and 'sells' on the actual news...

The rumors were strong enough for today, that whether even true or not, the market was going to show it...

It's good to pay attention, buts it's even better to short and make money on it.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

There really isnt much of anything that is going to interest me in getting up in the morning. 

and sorry, but as I don't support delinquency, I can't support this statement...

If you do not wake up happy every morning (at least until the real day kicks in LOL) you only have yourself and not the world to blame.

You are smart enough to make your own world, and while there are many assholes out there, you still have enough freedom here to live how you like and make it...

And BTW. You will never have something to 'wake up in the morning for' ….until your long term goals (or at least a long term 'direction') are known.  You'll need that first, prior to any daily or 'short term' ones...

SHIT: That's like shorting the market (or yourself) without having any Long positions....🤔🤣  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Troll said:

and sorry, but as I don't support delinquency, I can't support this statement...

If you do not wake up happy every morning (at least until the real day kicks in LOL) you only have yourself and not the world to blame.

You are smart enough to make your own world, and while there are many assholes out there, you still have enough freedom here to live how you like and make it...

And BTW. You will never have something to 'wake up in the morning for' ….until your long term goals (or at least a long term 'direction') are known.  You'll need that first, prior to any daily or 'short term' ones...

SHIT: That's like shorting the market (or yourself) without having any Long positions....🤔🤣  

Oh I dont blame the world. I dont blame myself. I accept it for what it is. I know myself well enough

5 minutes ago, ohio said:

Fair enough.

The market work etc pretty much all wastes of time. People work as it is a means to an end. They spend a majority of their lives giving their lives to other people either their teachers coaches as a kid than their bosses when they go to work. We are nothing but sheep. 

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Oh I dont blame the world. I dont blame myself. I accept it for what it is. I know myself well enough

Then you should know yourself well enough to know what you enjoy...

And be happy enough every morning to be able to face the day in pursuit of that happiness...

Amazes me how much people that watch the 6 o'clock news everyday seem to have forgotten all about their own pursuits...

And forgotten to leave enough space to allow their own happiness... some time...

In other words...

Take the time to be happy... and start with some longer term goals...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Troll said:

Then you should know yourself well enough to know what you enjoy...

And be happy enough every morning to be able to face the day in pursuit of that happiness...

Amazes me how much people that watch the 6 o'clock news everyday seem to have forgotten all about their own pursuits...

And forgotten to leave enough space to allow their own happiness... some time...

In other words...

Take the time to be happy... and start with some longer term goals...

Retirement!!!!!! That's the only thing I ever wanted. Just to be able to wake up whenever hang out do whatever I wanted and not have to answer to anyone. 

5 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

The market work etc pretty much all wastes of time. People work as it is a means to an end. They spend a majority of their lives giving their lives to other people either their teachers coaches as a kid than their bosses when they go to work. We are nothing but sheep. 

Ok I get it...

The old...If humans are so intelligent, why are they the only species that has to 'earn' a living?🤔.....(followed by various slave statements...)

But that is not you is it???  

When everyone said take a 30 yr mortgage as standard I took a 15...see how that works? How much should you 'buy in' verses how much ROI? 

When everyone else makes those 'slave' comments they need to be reminded that they at least need to 'earn' what they eat, as a baseline.....Then looking at what they receive for their taxes is fine...

If you don't like 'societies rules' then figure out where they are written that you can get along...taxes to high on homes, get a tiny one and pay zip etc.....work smart or work hard......your choice …..but don't blame the world...

...or yourself... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Troll said:

Ok I get it...

The old...If humans are so intelligent, why are they the only species that has to 'earn' a living?🤔.....(followed by various slave statements...)

But that is not you is it???  

When everyone said take a 30 yr mortgage as standard I took a 15...see how that works? How much should you 'buy in' verses how much ROI? 

When everyone else makes those 'slave' comments they need to be reminded that they at least need to 'earn' what they eat, as a baseline.....Then looking at what they receive for their taxes is fine...

If you don't like 'societies rules' then figure out where they are written that you can get along...taxes to high on homes, get a tiny one and pay zip etc.....work smart or work hard......your choice …..but don't blame the world...

...or yourself... 

Like I started with I dont blame the world or myself. But i sure dont have to play the game either. 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Most people are.  Especially if your only source of income is a job.  Highly paid celebrities and politicians are an exception though.

However, if you take calculated risks you don't have to be a sheep.  You won't have to be a slave to your wages.  If you wisely invest in markets, real estate, mutaul funds, or start a business you will accumulate wealth, sometimes quickly and sometimes slowly.  If you don't take calculated risks, you will most likely be anchored to your job, and your retirement will be a monthly social security check.

I vacation in Florida for a few weeks in winter every year.  Florida has a lot of retired senior citizens living there.   The ones that invested wisely are playing golf and riding golf carts, and enjoying there life.  The ones that did not invest and only depended on their pay checks are working in Publix bagging groceries, or at Taco Bell making burritos.  It's not that they want to work in their retirement, but are forced to because their Social Security check does not cut it.

Plus many successful people take early retirement, so they don't have to be a slave to a job.

7 minutes ago, ohio said:

Most people are.  Especially if your only source of income is a job.  Highly paid celebrities and politicians are an exception though.

However, if you take calculated risks you don't have to be a sheep.  You won't have to be a slave to your wages.  If you wisely invest in markets, real estate, mutaul funds, or start a business you will accumulate wealth, sometimes quickly and sometimes slowly.  If you don't take calculated risks, you will most likely be anchored to your job, and your retirement will be a monthly social security check.

I vacation in Florida for a few weeks in winter every year.  Florida has a lot of retired senior citizens living there.   The ones that invested wisely are playing golf and riding golf carts, and enjoying there life.  The ones that did not invest and only depended on their pay checks are working in Publix bagging groceries, or at Taco Bell making burritos.  It's not that they want to work in their retirement, but are forced to because their Social Security check does not cut it.

Plus many successful people take early retirement, so they don't have to be a slave to a job.

I will find a way out of this game. Not sure what that Avenue is what but I will find a way. The first half of my life has been wasted. I really dont need the 2nd half to be wasted. 

14 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Just the way it is. Maybe I'm too bright for my own good I see the flaws in everything. 

This is no excuse to dwell...anyone can dwell...

Remember what I always say about 'seeing' BOTH sides of Everything???  Double edge sword and all?

If you don't see both sides then you don't know what you are looking at etc??

Take the fact that you see all these things as a benefit, and you will be much more able to see the other side of the sword and the happiness...

Then again, take some time to allow yourself to be happy...

and don't fall for bullshit cop-out excuses....

Also, Don't be fooled into thinking that you cannot find your way peacefully, because others can not... 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

I will find a way out of this game. Not sure what that Avenue is what but I will find a way. The first half of my life has been wasted. I really dont need the 2nd half to be wasted. 

Glad you said that.  I too feel that you will once you put your mind to it you will find a purpose and happiness.  Just be careful not to self sabotage yourself by thinking negative thoughts like many people do.  Negative thoughts lead to a negative reality, and losses, and depression.  No matter how smart you are or how hard you try, negative thinking will bring you down.  Positive thinking leads to taking smart risks and makes your life enjoyable and eventually leads to happiness.

Here's the thing, you did not waste your life so far.  Somebody sold you a bad bag of goods.  You just learned what not to do, and will make changes that will make you a winner.

Anywho, I wish you the best. 

• Like 1