Dow down 750

noonereal

58 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Now only down 570. 

It's at day lows, my friend! Not sure what this means. I was very confident when I went short in October. However, recent "pronouncements" by the FED in response to POTUS dampened my confidence. I was not too concerned about the "truce" with China, for this argument is far from over. But a compliant FED, I don't know how to deal with. 

1 hour ago, ron169 said:

Damn, I lost some money. Tomorrow Ill make it back. If not tomorrow, next week, month, year or decade. Thank god im 20 years from retiring, it allows me not to care about swings in the stock. Im guessing your not as fortunate as me to have a while to make it back.

You probably will make it back unless the USA is on the cusp of what Japan faced 29 years ago. If that is the case, then all bets would be off. Of course, the odds are still squarely in your favor. But don't forget this: nothing in life is certain except death which we have yet to conquer. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

It's at day lows, my friend! Not sure what this means. I was very confident when I went short in October. However, recent "pronouncements" by the FED in response to POTUS dampened my confidence. I was not too concerned about the "truce" with China, for this argument is far from over. But a compliant FED, I don't know how to deal with. 

You probably will make it back unless the USA is on the cusp of what Japan faced 29 years ago. If that is the case, then all bets would be off. Of course, the odds are still squarely in your favor. But don't forget this: nothing in life is certain except death which we have yet to conquer. 

Yeah it's down 800. People dont know what to make of the deal btw the us and China esp since trump said that deal could fail. So now people panic the dow takes a big hit and we go from here. The markets are closed tomorrow

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

Yeah it's down 800. People dont know what to make of the deal btw the us and China esp since trump said that deal could fail. So now people panic the dow takes a big hit and we go from here. The markets are closed tomorrow

Part of the problem is that Trump announces deals when nothing is committed to writing. While under US common law, oral contracts are enforceable, the trick is to determine what the contract is. And, such "agreements" rarely have the force of law when they are between two or more countries. 

But, again, to me, the most critical factor facing the markets is where interest rates go from here.

• Like 1

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Part of the problem is that Trump announces deals when nothing is committed to writing. While under US common law, oral contracts are enforceable, the trick is to determine what the contract is. And, such "agreements" rarely have the force of law when they are between two or more countries. 

But, again, to me, the most critical factor facing the markets is where interest rates go from here.

Well if powell keeps his word he doesnt touch interest rates. 

I know it was a hard day on the market but the dow being at 24000 close to 25000 is ok

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Well if powell keeps his word he doesnt touch interest rates. 

I know it was a hard day on the market but the dow being at 24000 close to 25000 is ok

I keep telling you, it is not where it's at it's where it's going. And right this minute, the action lacks clarity. At current levels most indices are now flat on the year but with lots of volatility both up and down to show for it. One step forward ... and all that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

They know exactly what to make of it hence, down 800. 

Let's be clear, the problem here is TRump. 

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I keep telling you, it is not where it's at it's where it's going. And right this minute, the action lacks clarity. At current levels most indices are now flat on the year but with lots of volatility both up and down to show for it. One step forward ... and all that!

Trump is gonna collapse this country in many different ways...

25 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

If he does not take the bold step of firing Muller, I think he is looking at a world of hurt the first quarter of 2019.

I have a feeling he really wants to, but his advisers may be telling him about the possible political backlash.  But I have a feeling, Mueller may be fired before the New Years day for obvious reasons.  Unless Trump has nothing  to hide.  LOL.. 🤣 🙄

43 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

The next few months should be interesting.  That's for sure.

56 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Yep.  Verbal contract law means diddly in foreign trade.  The biggest problem is that you have two leaders with big egos, so....

IMO, if the economy fizzes out the Fed will have an excuse to not raise interest rates, but if it heats up and inflation rises, then they may have no choice.  But we'll see.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

If u look at it....it goes down people buy on the dip. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

Another part of the problem is that maybe, just maybe, Crime Family Don doesn't fully understand the nuances of trade policy...

Can someone please explain to "Tariff Man" the basic fact that consumers, not foreigners, pay tariffs?  A tariff is a tax on us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

If u look at it....it goes down people buy on the dip. 

I'm surprised that you aren't invested in the market as you have interest in it.  If you have any cash, my suggestion is to buy into an index mutual fund or an ETF like SPY or TQQQ if the market crashes like it did in 2008.  You can make more in a year in the market than in several years of working in a job.

31 minutes ago, ohio said:

I'm surprised that you aren't invested in the market as you have interest in it.  If you have any cash, my suggestion is to buy into an index mutual fund or an ETF like SPY or TQQQ if the market crashes like it did in 2008.  You can mak

I was and darterblue knows I was in. I made some money and got out. I didn't really enjoy the time I was in it. It was a lot of stress and it didnt really move quickly. When I jumped in I had the idea that I could make some money quick and jump out. Didnt happen like that at all. 

I have interest in a lot of things that I dont involve myself in

@ohio waiting for some kind of response lol

11 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I was and darterblue knows I was in. I made some money and got out. I didn't really enjoy the time I was in it. It was a lot of stress and it didnt really move quickly. When I jumped in I had the idea that I could make some money quick and jump out. Didnt happen like that at all

I have interest in a lot of things that I dont involve myself in

Having a well thought out plan and the discipline to stick with the plan reduces the stress by a lot even when the market does not go your way. When you know what you will do in a variety of situations, you are more able to a act in a cool, calm, collected manner. 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Having a well thought out plan and the discipline to stick with the plan reduces the stress by a lot even when the market does not go your way. When you know what you will do in a variety of situations, you are more able to a act in a cool, calm, collected manner. 

Problem was as you know I had no idea what I was doing. I lucked out. But I had no control of it and that was annoying. Whatever it did it did

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Another part of the problem is that maybe, just maybe, Crime Family Don doesn't fully understand the nuances of trade policy...

Can someone please explain to "Tariff Man" the basic fact that consumers, not foreigners, pay tariffs?  A tariff is a tax on us.

7 billion collected so far by the US due to tariffs