DLS vs. the Comp Poll

Belly Bob

39 minutes ago, LT4Spartan06 said:

Yes.

This year number 1 LB was also number 1 RB; Dline and Oline practically the same; #1 DE was also #1 TE;

Hell the starting safety was the backup QB

All true, but DLS tries to not play guys more than 1 1/2 ways — meaning they have non-starters get lots of quality PT 

how much they push “2-way” will depend on situation and individual and alternative 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LT4Spartan06 said:

Yes.

This year number 1 LB was also number 1 RB; Dline and Oline practically the same; #1 DE was also #1 TE;

Hell the starting safety was the backup QB

3 hours ago, Pops said:

All true, but DLS tries to not play guys more than 1 1/2 ways — meaning they have non-starters get lots of quality PT 

how much they push “2-way” will depend on situation and individual and alternative 

Cool 😎.. gotta have a way more conditioned team then other teams ....

is that because of Low attendance??

Our Best Players are 2 way ... most of them multi sport athletes also... enrollments hovers around 500 so any Studs can’t afford not to play them but try to give them rest as much as possible 

idk k @LT4Spartan06 if u heard few years back but we had this kid in my class  Linebacker RB TE Kicker....ect... ...

one time we were about to Lose The other team was about to end the game and was running the ball in the redzone and this kid tackles the kid, strips the Ball, and Runs it 80 yards for the game winner

or He was kicking a kickoff and actually tackled returner for Saftey

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Our Best Players are 2 way ... most of them multi sport athletes also... enrollments hovers around 500 so any Studs can’t afford not to play them but try to give them rest as much as possible 

idk k @LT4Spartan06 if u heard few years back but we had this kid in my class  Linebacker RB TE Kicker....ect... ...

one time we were about to Lose The other team was about to end the game and was running the ball in the redzone and this kid tackles the kid, strips the Ball, and Runs it 80 yards for the game winner

I definitely remember Fosatti being talked about alot a few years ago... Gotta love those blue collared lunch pale kid's doing work

9 minutes ago, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

Whatever became of him?  It looked to me like #7 was the one who actually made the tackle.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

Whatever became of him?  It looked to me like #7 was the one who actually made the tackle.  

50%50 chance he breaks that tackle or gets to the 1 yard line 

1 hour ago, LT4Spartan06 said:

He ended up being captain at Princeton?

Ya he helped them to their first undefeated season in forever... I can’t find the video but against Yale this year He had 2 clutch ints 

F21CE897-E0BB-4B94-B7E8-27971E4A3C1F.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

It is a rare event for any of the top teams in Texas to have two way players. Your team simply isn't competitive at the top levels here if you do. When Bellevue came in to play Katy their two way players were gassed completely by the end of the 3rd quarter - to the point that they got a lot of injuries in the 4th quarter because of exhausted players. Bellevue had played successfully against a lot of California teams, including DLS. In Texas, if both your offense and defense isn't exhausted by the end of the game you weren't playing hard enough. Just one more difference between California and Texas ball. If you are able to play an entire 48 minute game you simply can't be playing at the level that people only playing offense or defense are playing. It only works to play both ways when your opponent is doing the same thing.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

59 minutes ago, TigerHat said:

It is a rare event for any of the top teams in Texas to have two way players. Your team simply isn't competitive at the top levels here if you do. When Bellevue came in to play Katy their two way players were gassed completely by the end of the 3rd quarter - to the point that they got a lot of injuries in the 4th quarter because of exhausted players. Bellevue had played successfully against a lot of California teams, including DLS. In Texas, if both your offense and defense isn't exhausted by the end of the game you weren't playing hard enough. Just one more difference between California and Texas ball. If you are able to play an entire 48 minute game you simply can't be playing at the level that people only playing offense or defense are playing. It only works to play both ways when your opponent is doing the same thing.

I disagree regardless of recently meeting a 2-way starter on that Bellevue team (he’s engaged to a friend’s daughter)

he did describe pretty much exactly what you said save a couple of distinctions 

1) he didn’t attribute Bellevue’s fade to their lack of conditioning but the Houston area humidity in August which was unlike anything any of them have ever experienced.  If you haven’t experienced that transition you can’t appreciate the negative results on your physiology, especially in the short term.  It fades and you get used to it but it’s akin from running miles your whole life at sea level and then doing it the next day in Mexico City at 8,000’.  To me, this brings into question Texas’s insistence that pretty much all OOS matchups be at home (besides how frequently they occur)

2). He didn’t say anything about a single injury, but did say that the whole team was cramping (see #1 above)

He also said something about Katy having a monster RB

Fwiw, that Bellevue team also lost by about same margin, at home, to a Norcal team not named DLS 

I’ll grant you this — if you have the 22 best players in the country, you ought not play guys both ways if only for insurance against fatigue, and that TX top teams, with their massive enrollments, enjoy an advantage in this regard 

but imho, the actual magnitude of the impact, especially for extremely well conditioned players, is negligible at hsfb level — regardless of whether your drinking T-ball’s koolade, DLS and a lot of teams that play a lot of guys both ways are more than capable (if not likely) of beating anyone in TX

just say something like “imho one advantage Texans enjoy is.....” and you will come off less unhinged with +|- the same message 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerHat said:

DLS put over 400 yards of total offense on Euless Trinity in TX in the first game of the season and were a completion away from winning the game. 

And Bellevue beat Trinity when Trinity went to Washington to play.

It's one thing to say that playing both ways is a disadvantage. It's quite another to say that a team simply can't be competitive playing that way. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pops said:

I disagree regardless of recently meeting a 2-way starter on that Bellevue team (he’s engaged to a friend’s daughter)

1) he didn’t attribute Bellevue’s fade to their lack of conditioning but the Houston area humidity in August which was unlike anything any of them have ever experienced.  If you haven’t experienced that transition you can’t appreciate the negative results on your physiology, especially in the short term.  It fades and you get used to it but it’s akin from running miles your whole life at sea level and then doing it the next day in Mexico City at 8,000’.  To me, this brings into question Texas’s insistence that pretty much all OOS matchups be at home (besides how frequently they occur)

2). He didn’t say anything about a single injury, but did say that the whole team was cramping (see #1 above)

Fwiw, that Bellevue team also lost by about same margin, at home, to a Norcal team not named DLS 

I’ll grant you this — if you have the 22 best players in the country, you ought not play guys both ways if only for insurance against fatigue, and that TX top teams, with their massive enrollments, enjoy an advantage in this regard 

but imho, the actual magnitude of the impact, especially for extremely well conditioned players, is negligible at hsfb level — regardless of whether your drinking T-ball’s koolade, DLS and a lot of teams that play a lot of guys both ways are more than capable (if not likely) of beating anyone in TX

just say something like “imho one advantage Texans enjoy is.....” and you will come off less unhinged with +|- the same message 

Houston heat and humidity has the New Orleans transplants yearning to return to New Orleans.

Well, okay... I embellished, it was one Uber driver. 

Regards

F.O.S.Asshole

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Pops said:

Katy's two running backs in the 2009 Bellevue game weighed 160 and 170 respectively, and those are lbs, not kilos. Its interesting how people remember things. Katy's big running backs were in 2006, 2007, 2010 ,2012. The 2010 back, Donnovan Young, was injured  in the first game of the 2009 season against North Shore and didn't  play against Bellevue. What Katy had was a giant O-line in 2009 during the Bellevue game. That line was decimated going into the State Championship game - to the point that they couldn't run the ball at all the last two games of the year. What he may remember is that Katy's under center QB in the Bellevue game was a big guy; he played linebacker in college, but Katy's I formation QB's don't run the ball much - although they do lead the blocking on end sweeps.

12 minutes ago, TigerHat said:

Katy's two running backs in the 2009 Bellevue game weighed 160 and 170 respectively, and those are lbs, not kilos. Its interesting how people remember things. Katy's big running backs were in 2006, 2007, 2010 ,2012. The 2010 back, Donnovan Young, was injured  in the first game of the 2009 season against North Shore and didn't  play against Bellevue. What Katy had was a giant O-line in 2009 during the Bellevue game. That line was decimated going into the State Championship game - to the point that they couldn't run the ball at all the last two games of the year. What he may remember is that Katy's under center QB in the Bellevue game was a big guy; he played linebacker in college, but Katy's I formation QB's don't run the ball much - although they do lead the blocking on end sweeps.

I can’t remember kids name but Katy has one highly recruited stud that year that I want to say went to A&M as a LB?

i have a good buddy whose kid played for strake at the time and remember hearing about him 

know who I’m talking about?

btw, Katy my current favorite TX team (I was a Permian guy when they were a bit more relevant) — love the teams that seem to do more with less and Katy is the DLS of TX imho 

27 minutes ago, Pops said:

I can’t remember kids name but Katy has one highly recruited stud that year that I want to say went to A&M as a LB?

i have a good buddy whose kid played for strake at the time and remember hearing about him 

know who I’m talking about?

btw, Katy my current favorite TX team (I was a Permian guy when they were a bit more relevant) — love the teams that seem to do more with less and Katy is the DLS of TX imho 

Shep Klinke offensive tackle - high school All American. Poor fit for the offense A&M was trying to run and hardly played in college - wound up behind somebody who - I believe - played in the NFL.

• Thanks 1

When I went to William & Mary in 1967 we had a back-up at QB who didn't fit the sprint out attack the college was running. Hardly played at all. And if you can't get on the field at W&M - you sure don't have much of shot in the pros. Nevertheless, he walked on to the Buffalo Bills training camp and wound up as their starting QB. His name was Dan Darragh. Just because a player doesn't fit someplace - doesn't mean he couldn't be a player at the next level.