Astroturf

Troll

Enlightning. Illusory truths are another weapon used by astroturfers. In many cases, tell someone something long enough and they except as truth.

The illusory truth effect (also known as the validity effect, truth effect or the reiteration effect) is the tendency to believe information to be correct after repeated exposure. ... The first condition is logical as people compare new information with what they already know to be true.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2019 at 10:04 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

You guys should read the book liberalism is a disorder by some clown or other. 

now at first I thought you were trying to astroturf us...🤣

but I was more inclined to think you were making fun of someone else....

I did want to make sure I did not miss some recent post (and some different true meaning), so I had to punch in " liberalism is a disorder " into the search bar here (with all terms included)...….

Try it.....

giphy.gif

should never have second guessed the obvious...…..🙄

giphy.gif

......and...well.....just....WOW...😄

• Haha 1

Well, which astroturf is better? 

If we are a fan of one something or other and not of the other something or other... well, the best way to discredit it is to say it's all a sham. Astroturf as it were. 

Fake News

Etc. 

Why allow oneself to be inundated from every angle with... bullshit? 

A person wakes up in the morning to get off to work, fires up the ol' coffee kettle and turns on telly. Morning news is on telling all about it. 

Checks their social media feed, which again tells all about it, with the added layer of everyone you know or accepted a friend request from has an opinion on it.

Coffee kettle whistles in the background...

Then the person logs onto prepgridiron.com, posts a link to the bullshit where more people... anonymous people have an opinion on the opinion of the opinion piece that was once an actual news story...

Coffee kettle is slowing down now. Water is almost boiled out. 

Fuck it. The timer is set on the Keurig anyway. Who needs a stupid coffee kettle anyway? 

Astro turf. 

As long as it isn't what I think is the truth it's astro turf. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Truth can be relative. 

I hate to say it, because it was a great punchline for a good minute there. . "Truth isn't truth" --Rudy Giulliani

Facts are the only constant. Truth as derived from a set of facts can be manipulated by context adjustments or highlighting some facts over others. 

At the end of the day, nearly all of us go to bed believing what it is we want to believe. Regardless of which astroturf we were rolling through that day. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sportsnut said:

The problem with that is some believe a lie to be the truth from the start. When that is the case, you have what you describe. Say it enough, the mind of those not strong enough to use their previous knowledge to overcome these conditions, will become statistics in your categories.

8 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Truth can be relative. 

I hate to say it, because it was a great punchline for a good minute there. . "Truth isn't truth" --Rudy Giulliani

Facts are the only constant. Truth as derived from a set of facts can be manipulated by context adjustments or highlighting some facts over others. 

At the end of the day, nearly all of us go to bed believing what it is we want to believe. Regardless of which astroturf we were rolling through that day. 

I agree. Words are easly twisted to suit needs. Today you have to check the positive and negative side of what you feel is important in your life. Some people flat out lie, while some have truths twisted to look bad. And then there is the other side of it. When people use words to twist a bad situation and try to make it seem like it isn't so bad. It is getting harder and harder to see the truth when so many twist others words or leave important facts out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I agree. Words are easly twisted to suit needs. Today you have to check the positive and negative side of what you feel is important in your life. Some people flat out lie, while some have truths twisted to look bad. And then there is the other side of it. When people use words to twist a bad situation and try to make it seem like it isn't so bad. It is getting harder and harder to see the truth when so many twist others words or leave important facts out.

The real question imo is, since we kind of understand there is a lot of misdirection,... What is it hiding? I don't mean small picture stuff like money or fame or whatever. 

Also, is there an actual truth some where in the middle?

If all sides use bits of truth enough to fool us collectively, and to keep everyone "busy" fighting amongst themselves, it makes sense that they're keeping us busy over here out of the way for a reason. It also makes some sense that there is an actual truth with all the facts out there. 

Perhaps my truth is that, I want to believe that there is some truth somewhere in the middle and it's truly all nonsense. Of course I will always think it's all truly nonsense. Left , right, gay, straight, black, white. None matters in the grand scheme. It's all just a hamster wheel for the mind while the "they" do whatever it is "they're" trying to do and we are oblivious and perfectly content to fight among ourselves over bullshit, like dummies. xD

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The real question imo is, since we kind of understand there is a lot of misdirection,... What is it hiding? I don't mean small picture stuff like money or fame or whatever. 

Also, is there an actual truth some where in the middle?

If all sides use bits of truth enough to fool us collectively, and to keep everyone "busy" fighting amongst themselves, it makes sense that they're keeping us busy over here out of the way for a reason. It also makes some sense that there is an actual truth with all the facts out there. 

Perhaps my truth is that, I want to believe that there is some truth somewhere in the middle and it's truly all nonsense. Of course I will always think it's all truly nonsense. Left , right, gay, straight, black, white. None matters in the grand scheme. It's all just a hamster wheel for the mind while the "they" do whatever it is "they're" trying to do and we are oblivious and perfectly content to fight among ourselves over bullshit, like dummies. xD

In real life, we as children have to figure things out with the help of our Mentors. Once we hit adulthood, we should have some sesse of right or wrong. If not, then somewhere along the line we were mishandled or misled. In early adulthood we trust others until we are taught not to be trusting. In sociology, there is a stage called transitional adulthood. That is where the majority of us are now. We want to trust others, but are smart enough that we don't. It's simple really, the more we know someone the more we trust them or not. My gut tells me that none of us lie intentionally, but that we can be misled easily enough. All I can say is do your homework. You have been taught to read and write for a reason.

Transitional Adulthood;  Emerging adults share the five characteristics of self-focus, instability, identity explorations, feeling in-between, and a sense of possibilities. Emerging adulthood takes place across racial, cultural, and socioeconomic groups, although the experience of emerging adulthood varies among groups.