The Time St.Edwards was #1 in the Nation at the time getting upset by Bergen Catholic

BobbySanchez

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Two observations about this game. 

This game was played on a neutral field in Palisades Park, NJ in order to accommodate the crowd size

This was the game where the ED QB was tipping off each play. The BC D knew for most of the game if a run/pass play was coming. 

Was still a good victory! Very impressive, BC had a weak team compared to other years and still managed to win.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

Correct, however,at the time they played Eds was rated much higher.....After Bosco destroyed them, they had a huge letdown...

Which everyone from OH said was ridiculous. They barely beat a 4-6 D5 team the week before for gosh sakes. There was no "letdown," they were average from Day 1. 

Yes. GSB is right about the Eds QB tipping off plays.

I remember how good and dominant that Ed's team was, and how royally shocked everyone was when they lost to mediocre Elder in Week 4 and then BC in Week 5. When the report came out about the BC coach telling Eds coach after the game that the Eds QB was tipping off every play, everything made a lot more sense. There's no doubt Elder's coaching staff was well aware of this too.

That Eds team was really good. Would have loved to see them take on La Salle that year.

8 hours ago, BobbySanchez said:

0:59 wasn't Cole Gest one of the fastest kids in Ohio at the time?

Cole Gest was the ONLY reason St. Edward beat Cocoa that year. He was so good at hitting the gap and very fast. Ran through one arm tackles with ease. I thought for sure I would see him on Saturdays. Almost as fast as Chauncey Gardener, also a Sr that year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OdbCle said:

The TD that Kean scored but got called short on after he clearly got pushed back out of the end zone would have helped. Good win for BC nonetheless I suppose. 

Yeah, it sure looked like he was in. That said, it was a pretty big scrum at the goal line, so it’s not hard to give the ref the benefit of the doubt for missing it. 

11 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Yes. GSB is right about the Eds QB tipping off plays.

I remember how good and dominant that Ed's team was, and how royally shocked everyone was when they lost to mediocre Elder in Week 4 and then BC in Week 5. When the report came out about the BC coach telling Eds coach after the game that the Eds QB was tipping off every play, everything made a lot more sense. There's no doubt Elder's coaching staff was well aware of this too.

That Eds team was really good. Would have loved to see them take on La Salle that year.

Yes, wouldn’t surprise me if Ramsey and company picked up on that quickly. That was also the game they lost their Ohio State bound wide receiver to a season ending foot injury.