Ohio Week 2 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Here's something to get started. I might add some more games

Mentor (1-0) vs. St. Ignatius (1-0) - Mentor 28 Iggy 21

Mentor was in a tough spot in the 2nd half against Eds, but a safety pulled them within striking distance. On a late possession, Mentor scored to go ahead 29-28 which was the final. Mentor's skill players were outstanding and will be trouble for everyone they play. Mentor's OLine did a pretty good job also. Their defense will be their weak spot, as usual.

Iggy beat Loyola Academy IL 27-10. They started out a little slow, but picked it up and were able to secure the win behind a Cmiel TD. I only caught moments from the game. 

This should be a good game. I was impressed with how far along Mentor's Offense already seemed. These rivals usually have good close games. Just after week 1, I slightly favor Mentor at home.

Colerain (1-0) vs. St. Xavier (1-0) - Colerain 17 X 14

Colerain beat a solid Wayne team 28-19. Colerain's DLine is big and dominant. They had Wayne's QB running for his life all night and had 7 sacks. Wayne's QB was outstanding and made tons of great throws over the middle under intense pressure. 2 of Wayne's 3 scores came on short fields from a turnover and good kick return. Colerain's offense didn't have much luck early. There was a lot of missed blocks and assignments. As they became more comfortable they found a bit of a groove. They ran mostly all option, but still struggled at times. They didn't bring in QB Prather at all. 

St. X beat Brownsburg 38-17. Brownsburg started off strong. They had a good QB and RB and with a week already under their belt, they were ready. X's run D was pretty stout as usual. The biggest hype around X this year has been their new OCoordinator. They have Coverdale from Louisville Trinity as their new OC. X fans were pleased with week 1.

One of thee best rivalries in the country continues this week. In this matchup, I think Colerain will have to use Prather at QB for some or all of the game. I think Colerain will have trouble even scoring against X's D if they stick with the traditional option offense......On the other side, it will be interesting to see how X handles Colerain's DLine... The game is at Colerain, where Colerain is 97-3 since 1999, including 14-2 against the GCL......All that said, as an analyst, I would pick St. X. As a fan, I'll pick Colerain.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, THS2011 said:

I'll be at the Moeller Trinity game tonight. I wouldn't expect Moeller to have 8 turnovers again. 

You guys will dominate Moe. Their offense is dreadful. Their starters were shut out and didn't move the ball against Colerain in their scrimmage. I'm pretty sure their starters were shutout against Springfield in their final scrimmage and against Cathedral last week

Elder (1-0) vs. Cathedral (2-0) Elder 35 Cathedral 21

Elder beat Gahanna Lincoln last week 41 to 6. Cathedral shut out Moeller causing eight turnovers and winning 28- 0. Elder has three huge o lineman and tight ends. Elder is big on both lines and have a good quarterback and receivers to throw to. Elders defense will be their weak spot as usual but they do have some good size on the defensive line.

Elder will be a force all season because of the size on their lines. They also have great skill players to run their offense. If their defense can slow down the opposition's offense they will be hard to beat. I don't know how good Cathedral is vs how bad Moeller is but I think Elder will take this one

1 minute ago, prepsbill65 said:

THS2011  insite please.  What did Trinity lose with the departure of Andrew Coverdale;  what did St Xavier gain with Coverdale joining Specht at StX?  Thanks.

Beatty now calls the plays. We do not run the bubble screen 5+ times a game now. Actually havent ran it once yet. Coverdale loved to run the ball up the middle on 1st down a lot. Thru 2 games he hasn't been missed. Haven't seen X play so I can't comment on that. 

13 minutes ago, THS2011 said:

Beatty now calls the plays. We do not run the bubble screen 5+ times a game now. Actually havent ran it once yet. Coverdale loved to run the ball up the middle on 1st down a lot. Thru 2 games he hasn't been missed. Haven't seen X play so I can't comment on that. 

That's great news (not), about bubble screen. I can assure you that StX ran it more than Trinity did each game the last decade.  Most of the time with little positive yardage.  X's radio accouncers would always question that play call.  I was hoping that bubble screen mindset was gone.  Apparently not.... just wonderful.  Good like to the 'Rocks this weekend.