Great Convo with CIFSS Leader

SoCalFball

Thanks. That was a good listen as I traveled back from Florida this afternoon. 

I think there were some good points made from both guys at times, and, I think at other times the assistant commisiioner acted dense intentionally. 

Certainly glad that Aram kept his feet to the fire and made him try to change the subject to girls volleyball. xD You knew the convo was at an end then and there. "Tell me a good place to eat." Hahaha

19 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Thanks. That was a good listen as I traveled back from Florida this afternoon. 

I think there were some good points made from both guys at times, and, I think at other times the assistant commisiioner acted dense intentionally. 

Certainly glad that Aram kept his feet to the fire and made him try to change the subject to girls volleyball. xD You knew the convo was at an end then and there. "Tell me a good place to eat." Hahaha

Whoa what were you doing in Florida? 

I thought you only come here for scrimmages 😝

I think the best point made by the assistant commissioner was the need for a culture change, if any by-laws or better enforcement are to occur. 

At the same time, it was a cop out. 

How do you change the culture? It takes rule changes to force people to change how they do things. It will never make the ones that would look for a way to circumvent the intent of the rules stop looking for ways to do so, but, it's necessary to curb them in more of the direction the rules intended. 

Since he said they are a bottom up organization, the only way for him or the CIF to "grow teeth" is for the other teams in the southern section to request rule changes. I suppose they will eventually do that if the gap keeps widening. Maybe even other sections have to start lobbying the statewide Federation. 

3 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Whoa what were you doing in Florida? 

I thought you only come here for scrimmages 😝

I was practically still in Georgia. Lake Miccosukee. There isn't even a welcome to Florida sign. If the road surface didn't change a little, you would never even know you crossed a state line. Same on the way back north. xD

I shut it off after 28 minutes of hearing nothing enlightening.  We all knew CIF is highly concerned and handcuffed by just the fear of litigation.  Make no mistake, they aren’t afraid to go to court, but they are concerned about the financial impact to the member schools.  Sounds like they need better representation when they do go.

We all knew that having just a couple teams that can dominate the CA landscape doesn’t really represent a competitive equity concern for them.  Funny how he mentioned something like a CA school for public safety relative to MD/SJB not taking advantage of their position.

Hmmm, they are only hurting each other?

Plus there was a lot of long winded deflection.  

The culture has to change.  The culture has already changed.  It’s not about to revert.

Oh, and they’re not really toothless, they just can’t do much about anything.

Still, he did go on the podcast and got hit with some tough questions and fielded them diplomatically within party lines so, there’s that at least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I was practically still in Georgia. Lake Miccosukee. There isn't even a welcome to Florida sign. If the road surface didn't change a little, you would never even know you crossed a state line. Same on the way back north. xD

This doesn’t ‘splain WHY you were in Florids, Willis!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, On2whls said:

I shut it off after 28 minutes of hearing nothing enlightening.  We all knew CIF is highly concerned and handcuffed by just the fear of litigation.  Make no mistake, they aren’t afraid to go to court, but they are concerned about the financial impact to the member schools.  Sounds like they need better representation when they do go.

We all knew that having just a couple teams that can dominate the CA landscape doesn’t really represent a competitive equity concern for them.  Funny how he mentioned something like a CA school for public safety relative to MD/SJB not taking advantage of their position.

Hmmm, they are only hurting each other?

Plus there was a lot of long winded deflection.  

The culture has to change.  The culture has already changed.  It’s not about to revert.

Oh, and they’re not really toothless, they just can’t do much about anything.

Still, he did go on the podcast and got hit with some tough questions and fielded them diplomatically within party lines so, there’s that at least.

Well, if you filter through all the gibberish, at the end of the day, he says that guys like Matt Logan have to step up and speak out. Instead, Logan just goes with the flow. 

In that viewpoint, he is right. If the member schools are all just going with the flow, then, there is no call for change from the actual membership and no amount of outsiders looking at it and giving opinions will change it. 

As long as folks from that section, including coaches, talk smack, there will be no shortage of outsiders looking in and giving opinions. 

• Like 1