A Few Tidbits From The Colquitt/Camden Battle

Rufus69

Last night's game followed an old tried and true path.  The Camden Bluecats were playing at home in Gilman in front of a very nice crowd.  They fully expected to win.  They pretty much played that way in the first 1 1/2 quarters.  Colquitt started off as its usual sluggish self.  They pretty much forgot how to tackle on special teams play and Camden's speed on their "pitch sweep" caught us completely off guard.  And then...it started to change.   We flipped a switch.  The Packer offense started clicking.  Jaycee Harden started making some "big man" throws.  Daijun Edwards continued to run like a Hawg possessed.   It became obvious....The Bluecats were selling out to stop the run....so Hawg Air lit up the sky.  Colquitt goes into the half with a precarious 3 point lead.

The 2nd half.....was ALL Colquitt.  The Blackhat D played like Hawgs on a Mission.   They rattled Camden into making foolish mistakes.   And when the ball was on the ground...advantage Hawgs.  Camden always plays hard in Chris Gilman...but last night...once they saw it slipping away...they come unraveled.  Very un-Camden like.  Just for the record...if somebody tells you that Jaycee Harden ain't one tough son of a gun...you laugh at'em.  That young man took some shots..a few of them late...but he simply got up...yelled something about a particular Bluecat player's mother ...and carried on.  The kid is a honest to goodness baller.

So Colquitt goes to 7-1.  We're back home next Friday against them Dastardly Devils.  They would rather beat us than win the lottery.  With that said...I wanna go on record right now....

I never liked Tift.

NEVER !!!!!

Or their stinking cannon.....

Rufus>>

• Like 2

Jaycee is all "growed" up. It's fun to watch him spread the ball around. Your tid bits are pretty much the same way I saw it. 

I'm gonna stay critical of the special teams play.

We got "blowed" up on a couple of Camden kick returns and on a punt play of our own where Camden apparently got a little bit of a fanger nail on the ball and tried to kill the punter. The fact that half the blue cats' team was back there with Tucker about the same time the ball got there may have been the issue. Same issue with the first point after attempt where Gallardo got injured and missed most of the remainder of the game. Lucky for us we have Emmanuel who came in and held his own for us.

Camden treated our special teams like it was our weakness, and, it turns out, they may have been right. The good thing about that is, we hopefully bank that knowledge and use it this week. I haven't seen any film yet to figure what was happening, but, it mainly looked like Camden was really inspired and playing like wild animals on special teams and we were caught off guard. 

Lucky for us, they spent their wad in the first few possessions, or, we adjusted appropriately. Whichever angle you want to look in from. 

I will certainly like to add that the defensive adjustments were very evident as the game went on. We are looking better and better in that area with each game. 

By the way......My score predictions and margins were pretty close.......mine McEachern 23-17....14-12......Grayson..30-21......34-31.....Colquitt..34-14......34-17.......If i`m not watching an important IL game ...I`d rather watch GA football....great atmosphere...passion.....intensity....High football IQ....fans...coaches.....players.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Jaycee is all "growed" up. It's fun to watch him spread the ball around. Your tid bits are pretty much the same way I saw it. 

I'm gonna stay critical of the special teams play.

We got "blowed" up on a couple of Camden kick returns and on a punt play of our own where Camden apparently got a little bit of a fanger nail on the ball and tried to kill the punter. The fact that half the blue cats' team was back there with Tucker about the same time the ball got there may have been the issue. Same issue with the first point after attempt where Gallardo got injured and missed most of the remainder of the game. Lucky for us we have Emmanuel who came in and held his own for us.

Camden treated our special teams like it was our weakness, and, it turns out, they may have been right. The good thing about that is, we hopefully bank that knowledge and use it this week. I haven't seen any film yet to figure what was happening, but, it mainly looked like Camden was really inspired and playing like wild animals on special teams and we were caught off guard. 

Lucky for us, they spent their wad in the first few possessions, or, we adjusted appropriately. Whichever angle you want to look in from. 

I will certainly like to add that the defensive adjustments were very evident as the game went on. We are looking better and better in that area with each game. 

I will say...I was disappointed in our special teams play.  That has been a stalwart in the past.  It just seems we're not as focused in that area...as we once was.  That can hurt you in AAAAAAA ball.   Tucker has taken some heat with his punting...but I don't think it's his to take.  Our blocking scheme seems to be too loose.  Robbie sat right behind me last night...and he asked me point blank if the Camden player got a finger on the ball.  I told him...I didn't know for sure...but it sure didn't appear that he did.  But Tucker got racked...and NO FLAG.  There weren't flags thrown on the late hits on Jaycee either.   Justin got pretty animated with the side judge and the white hat.  It was funny when the "get back" coach couldn't get him back...and several of the players picked him up and carried him back behind the flag line.   I would never want to be an official...but I honestly thought they did a pretty sorry job last night.  Very inconsistent...to say the least.

I was telling Ms. Violet how Emmanuel saved our derrieres when Gallardo went down.  Glad to see that young man swallow his pride and step back into the team.   I think we're the better team compared to Tift...but I also think Georgia was the better team compared to South Carolina.  We better be READY.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

"94"...I wanted to be careful.  I only saw it a game speed and from the 50 yard line...but I just didn't see the tip.   I didn't see the holding where they threw the flag on No.11 on our tunnel screen that went for a TD.  That was as good of block as you can do.  Like I posted...I thought the "stripers" did a....less than stellar job...last night.

Rufus>>

• Like 1

14 hours ago, abbatt said:

By the way......My score predictions and margins were pretty close.......mine McEachern 23-17....14-12......Grayson..30-21......34-31.....Colquitt..34-14......34-17.......If i`m not watching an important IL game ...I`d rather watch GA football....great atmosphere...passion.....intensity....High football IQ....fans...coaches.....players.

The Grayson-Archer game was a good as it gets in my opinion.  The stadium was almost full - probably 98%.  The game went back and forth into overtime.  Archer scored with about 2:15 left in the game to take the lead.  Grayson came back and scored with 17 seconds left.  Archer stopped us in OT and we kicked a field goal.  We stopped Archer, called a time out just before the field goal attempt, changed the rush scheme and then blocked the kick to win.  The Grayson fans erupted onto the field.  The administrators, coaches, and police kept the two sides separated to ensure nothing happened.  I was talking with one of the officers and he said they shouldn't have let the fans on the field when they did.  I told him unless they were going to pull their weapons there was no stopping that crowd.

If you don't know, Archer was mostly created out of the Grayson district.  The rivalry has been intense most every year once the Archer program really got rolling.  These kids all know each other from church, rec league growing up, etc.  As the news report said, playoff level football and intensity.

• Like 2