Calpreps breakdown of 17 states...

golfaddict1

With respect to VA and IN, I added too many states as it is... so this is not a top 17 but rating the 17 states listed from 1 down.  

Two periods, 04-07 and after Freeman's state scaling adjustments on a handful of states (Wisconsin one of them, but not listed here... I used NY for best effect.  Freeman clearly saw flaws in his state ratings and correctly adjusted.   States affected are highlighted... and yes GA was boosted quite nicely by Freeman after 2007 as was FL.  So why the hoopla about GA still?

Imo, the SOS measure still needs tinkering.  GA imo is better than his scaling of SOS reflects.  Maybe other states seem out of place or belong higher or lower?   My focus is on GA :)   

For the population purists, NY was added.  Freeman had some weird ratings pre 2008.  Wisconsin was a powerhouse rated state back in the day... so for those who feel the algorithm never scales or adjusts, be my guest to discuss the highlighted movement.    

Calpreps.xlsx

• Like 4

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

scaling of SOS 

could you give me a link from Ned that explains this?

thanks

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

GA imo is better than his scaling

Could you explain to me what you base your opinion on in reference to this?

thanks

---------------------------

I'll ask the rest of my questions after I get the reply to these.

Thanks

58 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

Very nice indeed.

Not that it matters, but FWIW there are only about 720 schools in OH that field football teams.

Thx.  I used the CP #'s from 2016 and I believe it showed 751 a few days ago.  I looked at a shitload of #'s lol... bound to have made some errors.  If anyone is more bored than me and happens to catch any pls inform.  

One mention of FL, they have gotten almost a full pt boost on IMG alone with power and SOS ratings within the past few years as they have dominated play.  

12 minutes ago, noonereal said:

could you give me a link from Ned that explains this?

thanks

Could you explain to me what you base your opinion on in reference to this?

thanks

---------------------------

I'll ask the rest of my questions after I get the reply to these.

Thanks

IMPORTANT NOTE: League, division and state ratings are provided solely because they can be interesting to see; they are NOT a factor in the ratings in any way...rather merely an average of the ratings of the teams in the league/division/state.  

"Teams are judged individually in order to create their rating; the league, division and state they are in are not factors."

The last sentence listed on Calpreps site right now is bullshit.   You can't have an algorithm without a scaled list.  If you can rate states without a base scaling and parameter limitations to work with, please share and then I will reply after you do.  Thanks.   PS follow the highlighted movement of NY and maybe a light bulb will turn on.  

9 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

IMPORTANT NOTE: League, division and state ratings are provided solely because they can be interesting to see; they are NOT a factor in the ratings in any way...rather merely an average of the ratings of the teams in the league/division/state.  

"Teams are judged individually in order to create their rating; the league, division and state they are in are not factors."

The last sentence listed on Calpreps site right now is bullshit.   You can't have an algorithm without a scaled list.  If you can rate states without a base scaling and parameter limitations to work with, please share and then I will reply after you do.  Thanks.   PS follow the highlighted movement of NY and maybe a light bulb will turn on.  

thanks but can you give me a link to the page... I really appreciate it

2 minutes ago, noonereal said:

thanks but can you give me a link to the page... I really appreciate it

I'd rather communicate with Pop, Stanscript, 15yds, etc.  and I'm sure they are tired lol.  You simply aren't intelligent enough to follow along or just want to troll to see your post count.   Let's say you win... I'm 100% wrong.  Now back to the thread.  

2 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I'd rather communicate with Pop, Stanscript, 15yds, etc.  and I'm sure they are tired lol.  You simply aren't intelligent enough to follow along or just want to troll to see your post count.   Let's say you win... I'm 100% wrong.  Now back to the thread.  

Pretty rude post, clearly you don't want to explain yourself. 

Already we know, again, Ned is a liar is your starting point. 

----------------------------

I gotta say Golf, you caught me off guard with this post. 

I think you want your work accepted not questioned but maybe I am wrong as to your motivation. 

In any event, this was pretty uncalled for. 

I caution everyone to be very weary of the anti Cal mathematicians. 

It did not take me long to find the source of Golf's quote. 

Guess what, besides calling Ned a liar, the quote is from  8 man football and is embellished. 

This is why he would not offer a link. 

5 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Have any of you math majors tried to contact Calpreps ? If so what was the outcome 

Ned used to post on the old TX board. 

He had reached out to me via Email at one point and explained how it was impossible to combat so many. He was gracious and did not say it but it was clear he knew them to be lacking in understanding.

Like I say with Echo, you can't use arithmetic to disprove a computer scientist like these guys try. 

3 minutes ago, noonereal said:

Ned used to post on the old TX board. 

He had reached out to me via Email at one point and explained how it was impossible to combat so many. He was gracious and did not say it but it was clear he knew them to be lacking in understanding.

Like I say with Echo, you can't use arithmetic to disprove a computer scientist like these guys try. 

Their argument is compelling but always feels lacking.Ned has given the parameters of his Algorithm but no one knows the guts of it but him that's why they should try to contact him IMO

30 minutes ago, noonereal said:

I caution everyone to be very weary of the anti Cal mathematicians. 

It did not take me long to find the source of Golf's quote. 

Guess what, besides calling Ned a liar, the quote is from  8 man football and is embellished. 

This is why he would not offer a link. 

http://calpreps.com/2016/ratings/National_states.htm   This is the link I used and crossed off the BS part, the last sentence.  It's there for all to see.  I touched nothing.  Take your meds. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, noonereal said:

I think you want your work accepted not questioned but maybe I am wrong as to your motivation. 

With all due respect you have been unable to garner one positive post with regards to this discussion from the get go.  I can blatantly offer you Wisconsin and NY... GA and FL... and you simply shrug it off and dispel witchcraft notions and request algorithm certificates.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Their argument is compelling but always feels lacking.Ned has given the parameters of his Algorithm but no one knows the guts of it but him that's why they should try to contact him IMO

how about the GA argument....

Is Grayson rated accurately? Valdosta? Colquitt? 

According to the GA guys, yes. In fact Valdosta is ranked too well. 

How can these be ranked just fine if the entire state is undervalued. They can't unless they were manually elevated. 

There entire argument is based on Ned being a liar. 

Dose it make sense that a scientist would be a liar in his profession? 

2 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

With all due respect you have been unable to garner one positive post with regards to this discussion from the get go.  I can blatantly offer you Wisconsin and NY... GA and FL... and you simply shrug it off and dispel witchcraft notions and request algorithm certificates.  

I did not mindlessly kiss you ass? No. I actually downloaded the link and went over it.  

then

I respectfully and sincerely started asking questions. 

Not sure if it was your arrogance or inability to answer that caused you to insult me but either way it was uncalled for. 

Either way, the questions are more than valid and I have tons more because. 

Chart 2  highlights  the main players in the 2008 state scale correction by Freeman.  Other trends are easily noticeable if you take the time to compare both charts. 

For example, PA was 4th in 2007 in state SOS rating now they are 10th as of 2016  (see the top  500 team descent?)  See Michigan also. 

AZ was in the cellar of the 17 schools listed in prior chart.  Theirs sos boosted up a little bit and boom... more depth of teams rated. 

Any questions about the 2008 state scale correction Freeman did or how his tinkering effects the # of teams rated in the top 100/250/500 categories?

Calpreps1.xlsx

3 hours ago, Ararar said:

I don't get what's so hard to understand that human adjustment were made.  Fl was behind Michigan, Pa, NY, and Illinois.  I mean, ararar, wouldn't you adjust that if you could?

4 hours ago, noonereal said:

You dont question. You arent asking question relevant to the topic. You dont try to actually discuss whats being said, but simply talk to defend some guy youve never met in California.