DeMatha’s worst basketball loss ever was not tonight.

BigDrop

On 12/12/2019 at 6:54 PM, BigDrop said:

I will argue that Morgan Wooten is the greatest hs basketball coach of all time and Mike Jones has admirably filled his shoes with his own esteemed success.  Five national championships dating to ‘62 including the greatest hs victory of all time when Lou Alcindor and Power Memorial  (Kareem) lost their only game to DeMatha before 12,500 at the Univerdity of MD’s old Cole Field House.  Morgan once was the winningest coach of all time with 1,280 or so victories and a lifetime mark of .880+. Mike Jones (who played for Morgan in ‘91) is in the mid .800’s himself while also leading a number of U. S. national teams.  His DeMatha teams have also enjoyed repeated national success.

The school passionately supports the coaches including building one of the finest high school basketball athletic facilities in America.

DeMatha attracts among the best athletes from the Baltimore Washington area.  It does not recruit nationally as Montverde, IMG, Oak Hill, etc.

don't get me wrong i'm not disagreeing that he is the best HS Basketball Coach of all-time, but I think Gary McKnight of Mater Dei, has the highest winning percentage in the history of High School Basketball right? ya I already did post about that, but the post MD life for the majority of McKnight's players is shocking, raises eyebrows, due to reasons I mentioned already.

Highest winning percentage is the coach of Oak Hill. https://www.maxpreps.com/news/9FzooDlvCUWRJ6upi_646w/top-25-winningest-active-high-school-boys-basketball-coaches.htm

Gary McKnight through 12/14 was 1142-110.  Steve Smith of Oak Hill, through Last week ,  was 1151-77.

I am not a fan of Oak Hill which recruits nationally.  Morgan Wooten (I think understandably) would not and did not play them-he did play everyone else.  I am a huge fan of Gary McKnight and Mater Dei.

Oak Hill also has quite a bit of national competition now for athletes.  Montverde, IMG and several others all compete for many of the top athletes.

I am a Morgan Wooten, Gary MacNight and Bobby Hurley fan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Highest winning percentage is the coach of Oak Hill. https://www.maxpreps.com/news/9FzooDlvCUWRJ6upi_646w/top-25-winningest-active-high-school-boys-basketball-coaches.htm

Gary McKnight through 12/14 was 1142-110.  Steve Smith of Oak Hill, through Last week ,  was 1151-77.

I am not a fan of Oak Hill which recruits nationally.  Morgan Wooten (I think understandably) would not and did not play them-he did play everyone else.  I am a huge fan of Gary McKnight and Mater Dei.

Oak Hill also has quite a bit of national competition now for athletes.  Montverde, IMG and several others all compete for many of the top athletes.

I am a Morgan Wooten, Gary MacNight and Bobby Hurley fan.

is Gary McKnight your favorite of the 3? but ya, Stanley Johnson without a doubt, the best player in all of his years being the Head Coach at MD, the longest lasting NBA player for him, hard to believe it took MD that long to produce an NBA like him, because McKnight was already like in his 30th season as Head Coach when he arrived. This article right here, and others, have said that McKnight has the highest winning percentage ever, I guess they don't include Steve Smith from Oak Hill because Oak Hill is not a typical high school.

The one MD player I will always find it shocking that never made it to the NBA, more so, is that his basketball career crashed in college, is Taylor King. I believe he is one of only 2 McDonalds All-American players from the 2007 team that never made it to the NBA.

https://www.calhisports.com/2018/01/26/gary-mcknight-numbers-are-staggering/

21 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

is Gary McKnight your favorite of the 3? but ya, Stanley Johnson without a doubt, the best player in all of his years being the Head Coach at MD, the longest lasting NBA player for him, hard to believe it took MD that long to produce an NBA like him, because McKnight was already like in his 30th season as Head Coach when he arrived. This article right here, and others, have said that McKnight has the highest winning percentage ever, I guess they don't include Steve Smith from Oak Hill because Oak Hill is not a typical high school.

The one MD player I will always find it shocking that never made it to the NBA, more so, is that his basketball career crashed in college, is Taylor King. I believe he is one of only 2 McDonalds All-American players from the 2007 team that never made it to the NBA.

https://www.calhisports.com/2018/01/26/gary-mcknight-numbers-are-staggering/

I believe Morgan Wooten is the greatest.  

i'm assuming, well I don'tk now if he has admitted this or not, but I wonder if Gary McKnight himself, considers Morgan Wootten to be better than him as a Coach. Another great Coach, i know he has been a nominee for the Hall of Fame along with McKnight, is Willie West of Crenshaw, Crenshaw used to be a beast in Basketball during the 70's, 80's and 90's, I think they are the closest CA HS basketball program that has come the closest to MD's success under McKnight.

Bob Hurley Sr. and Morgan Wooten are the best ever IMO. The basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield agrees. Hurley 's St. Anthony teams never had their own gym to play in. The school was chronically broke as a joke and finally shut its doors a few years ago. No one taught pressure, on ball defense like Hurley and probably never will again. 28 state titles (National record) speaks for itself. 4 natty's as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2