DeMatha’s worst basketball loss ever was not tonight.

BigDrop

That was in 2011 at the Hoop Hall Classic in Springfield when Bobby Hurley’s St. Anthony’s roasted Mike Jones’ DeMatha 75-25.

In the early ‘70’s Camden’s Milt Wagner had the best game any player ever had against a Morgan Wooten team scoring 52 points in the SeaGull Classic in Atlantic City.  I forget the final score but at the time I remember that a Wooten DM team had never lost by so much.

Tonight DeMatha has another game for the ages.  As I type this they are down by almost 30 in the 4th quarter in a remarkably bad performance against #1 Monteverde.

Montverde’s coach, Kevin Boyle, goes back to New Jersey’s St. Patrick’s in the days when Bobby Hurley directed the great St. Anthony’s.

DeMatha has some very bad New Jersey memories.

Morgan Wooten survived Milt Wagner with several more national championships and Mike Jones oversaw a number of superb seasons with national success after the St. Anthony’s ESPN debacle.

Sometimes a loss like this builds team character and contributes to long term success.  But as DeMatha’s football team a few years ago was crushed by SJR the Hyattsville school has had checkered success on the other side of the Delaware.

Final:  Monteverde 76 DeMatha 56

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

That was in 2011 at the Hoop Hall Classic in Springfield when Bobby Hurley’s St. Anthony’s roasted Mike Jones’ DeMatha 75-25.

In the early ‘70’s Camden’s Milt Wagner had the best game any player ever had against a Morgan Wooten team scoring 52 points in the SeaGull Classic in Atlantic City.  I forget the final score but at the time I remember that a Wooten DM team had never lost by so much.

Tonight DeMatha has another game for the ages.  As I type this they are down by almost 30 in the 4th quarter in a remarkably bad performance against #1 Monteverde.

Montverde’s coach, Kevin Boyle, goes back to New Jersey’s St. Patrick’s in the days when Bobby Hurley directed the great St. Anthony’s.

Morgan Wooten survived Milt Wagner with several more national championships and Mike Jones oversaw a number of superb seasons with national success after the St. Anthony’s ESPN debacle.

Sometimes a loss like this builds team character and contributes to long term success.  But as DeMatha’s football team a few years ago was crushed by SJR the Hyattsville school does not have the warmest NJ memories. 

What makes Dematha so good in basketball every year? 

16 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I will argue that Morgan Wooten is the greatest hs basketball coach of all time and Mike Jones has admirably filled his shoes with his own esteemed success.  Five national championships dating to ‘62 including the greatest hs victory of all time when Lou Alcindor and Power Memorial  (Kareem) lost their only game to DeMatha before 12,500 at the Univerdity of MD’s old Cole Field House.  Morgan once was the winningest coach of all time with 1,280 or so victories and a lifetime mark of .880+. Mike Jones (who played for Morgan in ‘91) is in the mid .800’s himself while also leading a number of U. S. national teams.  His DeMatha teams have also enjoyed repeated national success.

The school passionately supports the coaches including building one of the finest high school basketball athletic facilities in America.

DeMatha attracts among the best athletes from the Baltimore Washington area.  It does not recruit nationally as Montverde, IMG, Oak Hill, etc.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Sometimes a loss like this builds team character and contributes to long term success.  But as DeMatha’s football team a few years ago was crushed by SJR the Hyattsville school has had checkered success on the other side of the Delaware.

Final score not so bad, especially to #1 rated in nation

6 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

It’s a perfect storm. DeMatha is located in Hyattsville MD about 2 miles from the Washington DC line. PG County and DC are loaded with talent. I’m pretty sure PG County has the most active NBA players of any county in the country by a wide gap and the reason for that has much to do with AAU ball in the area. It’s high level travel from a very young age. 

Most of the WCAC would be ranked top 100 for basketball every year, if that ranking existed. DeMatha’s tradition helps attract the best talent. They also invest in keeping things in house when it comes to coaching, so a high level of excellence is expected athletically from the top down. They also have a top notch athletic facility as well. 

As for tonight, the nationally recruited teams are on a different level than the locally recruited teams. DeMatha won’t ever back down, but it is what it is...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

It’s a perfect storm. DeMatha is located in Hyattsville MD about 2 miles from the Washington DC line. PG County and DC are loaded with talent. I’m pretty sure PG County has the most active NBA players of any county in the country by a wide gap and the reason for that has much to do with AAU ball in the area. It’s high level travel from a very young age. 

Most of the WCAC would be ranked top 100 for basketball every year, if that ranking existed. DeMatha’s tradition helps attract the best talent. They also invest in keeping things in house when it comes to coaching, so a high level of excellence is expected athletically from the top down. They also have a top notch athletic facility as well. 

As for tonight, the nationally recruited teams are on a different level than the locally recruited teams. DeMatha won’t ever back down, but it is what it is...

And SJC , Gilman , SFA OLGC aren’t on the same level as Dematha?

24 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Those were the great Camden teams with Wagner and Thompson who went onto win a national title at Louisville. It was actually the early 80's but semantics. DeMatha's always had the thoroughbreds and NJ HS hoops has always been among the best nationally known for gritty, in your face defense and great inner city rivalries...Jersey City, Newark, Paterson, Elizabeth, Camden, Trenton, AC, etc. Also to your point the state has produced great basketball coaching minds who all got their starts at the HS level. Hurley, Boyle, Fratello, Hubie Brown, Vitale,  Massimino, Gary Williams, Tarrant, and several more I'm forgetting. 

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/local/columns/mcgarry-milt-wagner-s--point-game-still-talked-about/article_da9aaf1a-de05-509a-9da7-994447096286.html

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 10:22 PM, legendsofthefall said:

Those were the great Camden teams with Wagner and Thompson who went onto win a national title at Louisville. It was actually the early 80's but semantics. DeMatha's always had the thoroughbreds and NJ HS hoops has always been among the best nationally known for gritty, in your face defense and great inner city rivalries...Jersey City, Newark, Paterson, Elizabeth, Camden, Trenton, AC, etc. Also to your point the state has produced great basketball coaching minds who all got their starts at the HS level. Hurley, Boyle, Fratello, Hubie Brown, Vitale,  Massimino, Gary Williams, Tarrant, and several more I'm forgetting. 

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports/local/columns/mcgarry-milt-wagner-s--point-game-still-talked-about/article_da9aaf1a-de05-509a-9da7-994447096286.html

Thanks, legendsofthefall.  Deep respect for Jersey ball.  Ironically my wife and I will be in Atlantic City next week at one of our favorite restaurants, Chef Vola’s.

19CE193C-E3C9-43B6-BB1A-153487D756A3.thumb.jpeg.8d28d366d7b361501667cf57fb278cf1.jpeg

And, 1980 really does not seem like it was that long ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

SJC and SFA both have strong programs although not as strong as DeMatha over the long run. Good Counsel is usually near the bottom of the WCAC in basketball but they upset Gonzaga last week so maybe they are turning things around this year. Don't think Gilman has ever been a major player in Baltimore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

it reminds me, the worst loss ever for Mater Dei under Gary McKnight, was when the Ball brothers destroyed them

Chino Hills was the worst loss on the scoreboard. If you ask McKnight he will tell you his most disappointing and haunting loss was the 1984 CIF championship game against Long Beach Poly. Huge upset. That year MD returned all 5 starters from the team that won the 1983 championship. That year is when they travelled to play DeMatha. In the game against Poly they kept feeding the ball to Tom Lewis who Poly was determined to stop. McKnight still talks about the lessons learned from that game.

16 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Gonzaga and PVI are usually at the top of the WCAC with DeMatha. SJC will have a good team every 5 years or so. SFA is in the Baltimore league. They’re very talented, but would be middle of the pack in the WCAC. 

Historically, DeMatha is the premier program in the DC area. Gonzaga would probably come after that. DM vs GZ games are unbelievable atmospheres. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Gonzaga and PVI are usually at the top of the WCAC with DeMatha. SJC will have a good team every 5 years or so. SFA is in the Baltimore league. They’re very talented, but would be middle of the pack in the WCAC. 

Historically, DeMatha is the premier program in the DC area. Gonzaga would probably come after that. DM vs GZ games are unbelievable atmospheres. 

The Paul Vi/IMG game last weekend in DeMatha’s field house had that kind of atmosphere.  It was absolutely packed and just as emotional as a DM/GZ game.  I still don’t believe I yelled so loud.....for Paul VI.

I must also mention here SJC and Joe Gallagher who built their program and gave Morgan his start.  For several decades dating to the ‘60’s some of DeMatha’s toughest games were against one of his very best friends.  There is a rich history:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/joe-gallagher-st-johns-basketball-coaching-legend-dies-at-93/2014/09/16/1fd195f6-3dbe-11e4-9587-5dafd96295f0_story.html

And, doesn’t Mater Dei now have it’s own extraordinary facility?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

I must also mention here SJC and Joe Gallagher who built their program and gave Morgan his start.  For several decades dating to the ‘60’s some of DeMatha’s toughest games were against one of his very best friends.  There is a rich history:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/joe-gallagher-st-johns-basketball-coaching-legend-dies-at-93/2014/09/16/1fd195f6-3dbe-11e4-9587-5dafd96295f0_story.html

You might be interested in this old DC newscast from 1971 on YouTube...starts off with a story on Gallagher and Wootten's summer basketball camp:

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

You might be interested in this old DC newscast from 1971 on YouTube...starts off with a story on Gallagher and Wootten's summer basketball camp:

MA Fan thanks for sharing this video .  I just finished watching the entire newscast.  Fantastic!  Thank you!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/st-johns-to-honor-coaching-legend-joe-gallagher-90-on-saturday/2011/04/29/AFxznmFF_story.html

Above is a good article about Joe Gallagher from 2011 when he was 90.

17 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Chino Hills was the worst loss on the scoreboard. If you ask McKnight he will tell you his most disappointing and haunting loss was the 1984 CIF championship game against Long Beach Poly. Huge upset. That year MD returned all 5 starters from the team that won the 1983 championship. That year is when they travelled to play DeMatha. In the game against Poly they kept feeding the ball to Tom Lewis who Poly was determined to stop. McKnight still talks about the lessons learned from that game.

worst loss in terms of point differential right, the most points MD has lost by in Basketball under McKnight right? I was reading about the 1984 CIF Championship game between MD and Poly for Basketball, the game went into overtime and Poly won by the score 45-44, Poly blocked a shot what would have been a game winner for MD, that sealed the win for Poly.

Also, 1984 is the last time Poly won a state championship in boys basketball. I believe they have won only 2 State Championships in their schools history, which is kinda shocking because I read they have won 20 CIF section titles, which is not far from Mater Dei's 23 CIF section titles under McKnight, but MD won theirs on more consistent and shorter time spin, like 23 CIF section titles in 37 seasons.

What I also have found weird and shocking for a while, is that it took MD quite a long time to produce a long-term NBA player, Stanley Johnson has played in more NBA games than any player in Mater Dei history under McKnight, all the previous MD players who made it to the NBA, lasted very shortly in the NBA. I remember reading, of the 9 MD players who made it to the NBA, only LeRon Ellis, Reggie Geary, Stanley Johnson, are the only MD players to have lasted a full season in the NBA, and Jamal Sampson came close.

It's shock because, McKnight was already like in his 30th season as Head Coach when Stanley Johnson arrived at MD, and there are other high schools in California that have produced long-term NBA players, that have lasted longer than any other MD player, such as James Harden from Artesia, Kawhi Leonard from King High School in Riverside, Tyson Chandler and Tayshaun Prince from Dominguez, and Klay Thompson from Santa Margarita, the only Trinity League player to have a max-contract NBA deal. Reason why it raises eyebrows, is shocking, is because MD is the most decorated basketball program in CA state history or maybe all of the West Coast, yet those other players who came from those other schools, haven't won even a fraction of the amount of championships MD has won under McKnight.

6 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Reason why it raises eyebrows, is shocking, is because MD is the most decorated basketball program in CA state history or maybe all of the West Coast, yet those other players who came from those other schools, haven't won even a fraction of the amount of championships MD has won under McKnight.

Good post. People just think that they roll the ball out at MD to all the recruited players. Fact of the matter is that these players are incredibly coached up. I’ve seen them win multiple games where they were outmatched by the other team. I just watched MD play last weekend and it’s the same thing I’ve seen for almost 40 years..... good floor spacing, help defense, crisp ball movement and perimeter passing, nothing but high percentage shots, etc.

ive heard lots of speculation as to why MD players have not been successful in the NBA. One reason is that MD players pretty much have approached their ceiling at the end of high school because they have been so coached up. You won’t likely see a ‘raw talent’ that all of a sudden flourishes after playing at MD. A small percent of NBA players were McDonalds All Americans. Most of them were obviously very good high school players but they really came into their own and flourished once going to college. 
I hope that MD plays Sierra Canyon in the playoffs again this year. It wouldn’t surprise me to watch McKnight’s team that is outmatched at every position give them a good game.

19 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Good post. People just think that they roll the ball out at MD to all the recruited players. Fact of the matter is that these players are incredibly coached up. I’ve seen them win multiple games where they were outmatched by the other team. I just watched MD play last weekend and it’s the same thing I’ve seen for almost 40 years..... good floor spacing, help defense, crisp ball movement and perimeter passing, nothing but high percentage shots, etc.

ive heard lots of speculation as to why MD players have not been successful in the NBA. One reason is that MD players pretty much have approached their ceiling at the end of high school because they have been so coached up. You won’t likely see a ‘raw talent’ that all of a sudden flourishes after playing at MD. A small percent of NBA players were McDonalds All Americans. Most of them were obviously very good high school players but they really came into their own and flourished once going to college. 
I hope that MD plays Sierra Canyon in the playoffs again this year. It wouldn’t surprise me to watch McKnight’s team that is outmatched at every position give them a good game.

ya, Santa Margarita is the only Trinity league school to turn out a Max Contract NBA player, that being Klay Thompson, yet Santa Margarita hasn't won close or even a fraction of the amount of rings, championships that MD has won under McKnight, even though Stanley Johnson is MD's longest lasting NBA player, he has never signed a max contract or made the all-star team like Klay Thompson has.

James Harden of Artesia, Russell Westbrook of Leuzinger HS in L.A., Tyson Chandler and Tayshaun Prince of Dominguez, Kawhi Leonard of Martin Luther King HS, Trevor Ariza of Westchester, those high schools they played for, haven't won close or a fraction of the amount of success MD has done under McKnight.

So that's why it raises eyebrows, is shocking, as to why MD has not produced a long-term NBA player.

Another thing that is weird and shocking, MD is the school in CA that has sent most players to the NBA, with 9, but yet only 3 out of the 9 lasted a full season in the NBA, that's why that stat feels meaningless because they don't last long in the NBA. Here is the link:

https://www.calhisports.com/2018/08/12/ca-hs-with-most-nba-pros/

Not only that, but even though I think over 70 players in all of McKnight's years being the Head Coach at MD, have received D-1 College offers, yet they become like ghosts in college, they haven't really made major headlines in the media after high school, they also tend to transfer a lot in college, to sum it up, its like MD produces high school stars, but their post high school life is shocking, raises eyebrows, due to being the most decorated high school basketball program in CA state history or maybe even the West Coast.

I remember hearing a large factor as to why MD players don't succeed in the NBA or just why their success post high school is shocking, raises eyebrows, is why they excel in high school so well in the first place. Mater Dei plays very well as a team, excellent team ball, extremely well-coached, which makes a lot of their star players look better than they actually are.

• Like 1