Anybody Else Have About Now in the Impeachment Over-Under?

15yds4gibberish

44 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

I'm gonna guess that what it makes you wonder is if we've crossed paths on another forum.  That depends, do you like the other poster?  😉 If so, sure, why not, it could be me.  If not, I doubt you found any alter-ego HalfTheDistanceToTheGoal4gibberish's running around.

The particular point you referenced actually came from a line in the Bloomberg (Not Politico damnit!) piece that got me thinking :

• "As for the headlines we saw after the House vote saying, “TRUMP IMPEACHED,” those are a media shorthand, not a technically correct legal statement."

I started wondering what if the author is right, and Trump isn't technically impeached just yet, then what do we call his current state of affairs - Not impeached but also not not impeached?  We don't have a name for that.   I mentioned this to a friend of mine, and he joked about the baseball stat asterisk. So  I stole the idea from him -- There aren't a lot of maps for this infrequently traveled territory.

What are you doing cheating on us in other forums anyway?  😀

No, I'm not cheating on anyone. This is the only forum I've ever been a member of. 

I was thinking that you've been reading the sort of stuff that people who hang out at Oxford or Cambridge like to read. It's a move people like that sometimes make. I guess it goes something like this:

A: You didn't use that word "impeach" correctly. 

B: Well, I don't really care about the word. I want to talk about the event.  So, you can have "impeach," and I'll use "*impeach," so I can talk about the event without offending you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

B: Well, I don't really care about the word. I want to talk about the event.  So, you can have "impeach," and I'll use "*impeach," so I can talk about the event without offending you. 

So does civil union = marriage.... or *marriage   

🤔

3 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Yup, my bad.  I was also referring to the Bloomberg piece linked earlier -- Not sure why I wrote Politico.  I know who Feldman is, and I'm skeptical of his argument in this case for the reasons stated.  I realize disagreeing with someone on "your side," might be a strange concept to you, but it happens...

Not really having a side helps with that problem lol.

As I stated before, the debate about whether or not Trump is impeached right this second seems fairly arcane and academic (but I reserve the right to change my mind if more information comes to light), but the argument seemed important enough to you for you to bring it up and say I was wrong because Donald Trump isn't impeached.  Given the piling on after your post, and the Fox News I saw about it, it seems pretty important to the right wing-o-sphere too

It's no less important than it is for your side to shout "zOMG DRuMpf iZ SO iMPeeChED"  lol. Obviously at some point, (probably still within your three year window) Nancy will realize she's stepped on a rake and send the articles over. So yes...there's little doubt that he's as good as impeached. 👍

I didn't really see any indications you were joking, like an emoji or anything actually funny, but if you insist, people can read the thread and decide for themselves.

Because I obviously have such a history of taking this forum so seriously lol.  Okay.

10 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

No, I'm not cheating on anyone. This is the only forum I've ever been a member of. 

I was thinking that you've been reading the sort of stuff that people who hang out at Oxford or Cambridge like to read. It's a move people like that sometimes make. I guess it goes something like this:

Ahh!  Gotcha!

Guilty.

😉

• Like 1

Just now, Belly Bob said:

Are you talking about "marriage" or marriage?

LOL...

It's probably too much of a tangent....

Just funny that it works both ways

Some don't "care" for the word and only the event, and for others the word is more important than the event 🤔

Which side do you think them Oxford types sit on? 🤣 

• Like 1

Just now, Troll said:

LOL...

It's probably too much of a tangent....

Just funny that it works both ways

Some don't "care" for the word and only the event, and for others the word is more important than the event 🤔

Which side do you think them Oxford types sit on? 🤣 

I don't know about Oxford. 

But I know a bit about Cambridge, and a Cambridge man cares about both, and he can recognize when the fight is over the word and when it's over the thing, and he won't confuse the two. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

But I know a bit about Cambridge, and a Cambridge man cares about both, and he can recognize when the fight is over the word and when it's over the thing, and he won't confuse the two. 

@Belly Bob,

As I’m sitting here  at your alma mater, waiting for nephew to graduate, the thought occurs that it’s the Oxford guys that put the 'dick' in 'de dicto'...

😉

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, Belly Bob said:

Well if you talk to your Oxford or Cambridge buddies and don't feel like getting into it...🤣

I'd just point to the following reference....

(this guy always breaks it down  lol)

... pretty much the way I saw it

...without knowing anything 🤣

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, Troll said:

Well if you talk to your Oxford or Cambridge buddies and don't feel like getting into it...🤣

I'd just point to the following reference....

(this guy always breaks it down  lol)

... pretty much the way I saw it

...without knowing anything 🤣

It sounds like a fight over a word, and it counts in favor of @15yds4gibberish, who, like the commentator here,  described the fight as "academic." 

My favorite part of the video is that the commentator admitted that he was "by no means a constitutional scholar," but just an interested lawyer.

I'm always surprised by how many scholars of the Constitution we have here on our little forum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2