Why JUCO teams like IMG and SFA are beatable

Sammyswordsman

16 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Can’t show up at MD for football season their senior year and then graduate in December to go to college, you can do that at the other schools.

But a number of those rascals showed up at MD for football their senior year, and then left MD after the season. Were there for about half a school year, which coincided with the football season. Wasn't it just last year? 

That was not a good look at all for MD.

23 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Interesting take but far off. STA not on your list? 🤣🤣 MD, SJB, = Actual high schools that offer everything a regular high school does. IMG, SFA, USA = “schools” that move kids in from OOS for free and have a sole focus on football. (See SFA’s “Move in day” on Twitter.) Elias Ricks can tell you the difference in MD and IMG. One is an actual school and one is a sports academy. Biff runs SFA because he funds the whole thing top to bottom, that’s his school to do whatever he wants with it. Doesn’t work that way down here. You can’t take a look at the transfer numbers from this past season and see if MD is equivalent to IMG or SFA like you say they are. Can either school say they had transfers that started this past year, of those starters that had already been enrolled at MD for an entire year before the start of their senior year. MD is not operated like IMG or Frances, it’s just not. Neither one of those schools tells Kendall Milton 5* Georgia signee or No. 7 QB in the nation Miller Moss no thank you because of admissions requirements but that’s exactly what happened at MD. After watching griffiths struggle on the big boy field Biff would’ve written a check with 15 zeroes to get Miller Moss to go to IMGBaltimore. I assume MD is categorized with IMG and Frances because they’ve been the only school to beat them. Flattering. 

Interesting and valid points. One operates as a legitimate school because they're legitimate schools and the other are just academies that house kids. Haven't thought of it like that and I completely agree with you on that.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 10:50 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

Reposting this great take from another board.  Very good insight and very accurate.  

Post by HonorGloryLove » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:56 am

Re: Daforno's musing about Bosco and Poly, I have wondered about this myself many times, and I certainly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I believe the quality of the programs, and not just the athletic ability, is what makes top teams great.

Sure, athleticism plays a big part, but motivation and great preparation (including the hard work of having back ups ready) are the fundamentals. A lot of work and time are necessary to produce that kind of performance. But it's not the work and time put in that make these coaches and programs great in my eyes—please see the end of this post for that.

One thing athleticism, particularly speed, can do is to reduce the penalty a team pays for mistakes, like being out of position, missing tackles, etc., but this doesn't help so much when playing a top quality team that is also fast, and plays better football. I think this often accounts for a seemingly invincible nationally ranked team losing a big game.

Because I follow MD, I immediately think of the IMG game a couple years ago. I sat on the IMG side and those IMG fans were stunned. What would seem impossible on paper was happening right before their eyes. I am sure Bosco, DLS and Servite have also played games like this.

Programs like Bosco, MD and Servite (just wait, they'll be right up there again-TT's a great coach) require a lot of work for players too, and a lot of time. At any of these schools, it's a wonder these kids can study during football season, but they make it happen. I'll say this: having 4 years of that kind of stress will surely make college easier because the kid's used to managing his time and pushing himself when he's dog tired.

It's a burden not every kid will accept, and it mirrors the burden these coaches accept.

Mind you, I'm not disparaging any kid or coach who does not want to carry that load. It's something the individual must want badly enough to suffer the pain. There are other things in life that are also important, and any individual who places balance ahead of a singular goal deserves our admiration too.

We Americans are terribly competitive, and sometimes we lose perspective because of that. I marvel at how the coaches I mentioned, and I will certainly put Bob Ladouceur in the group, always seem to, despite their competitive nature, maintain awareness of what's really important.

I watch these men when they meet on the field after a game. There's lots of love for each other with smiles all around. I am often deeply moved when I see them together, as I consider how rare that attitude is. I want to be like them, and I thank all of them for their inspiration.

This is good.  Football is one of those sports where coaching and teamwork is huge.  You can have 11 athletic freaks out there but if just a couple blow asignments thats it.  Many other sports really dont even need a coach but in football its big 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Difference in transferring to another school and moving into dorms from out of state but you already knew that! Transferring happens everywhere. Having your rent paid by your coach or reclassifying to play a 5th year of HS does not happen everywhere. Duncanvilles two starting linebackers this year are both transfers, are they recruiting to fill their holes like IMG? I don’t see it that way.  Never said MD didn’t get transfers. All above transfers will have to complete the same requirements as the other kids in order to graduate. Can’t show up at MD for football season their senior year and then graduate in December to go to college, you can do that at the other schools. It’s not the same as IMG, USA,  or Frances and it’s really not that hard to tell. Safe to say all 44 starters at IMG & SFA were transfers right?  Not the same. 

Now the Duncanville situation is a little unique because that area is so close together with other big time public schools and then you got the Private school Bishop Dunne. Kids can move from private to a public without a penalty because they're not governed by the UIL. Samples is not out recruiting. He doesn't have to. Parents see who is winning and will move their kid there. Samples is a big name coach and is a Icon in the black community. It's not complete open season at Duncanville. It's more of Samples is there. Once he leaves they will go back to being a basketball school.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

Samples is not out recruiting. He doesn't have to. Parents see who is winning and will move their kid there. 

This is the case in damn near every situation. Parents see winning and results (college signings) at the private schools around the country as well, and choose to send their kids to those programs. Far too often people accuse schools of recruiting, when the parents are actually seeking out the schools for their kids. They want their kids to be a part of competitive teams, while also increasing the visibility for those college scholarship possibilities.

4 hours ago, Gametyme said:

Now the Duncanville situation is a little unique because that area is so close together with other big time public schools and then you got the Private school Bishop Dunne. Kids can move from private to a public without a penalty because they're not governed by the UIL. Samples is not out recruiting. He doesn't have to. Parents see who is winning and will move their kid there. Samples is a big name coach and is a Icon in the black community. It's not complete open season at Duncanville. It's more of Samples is there. Once he leaves they will go back to being a basketball school.

I agree, I've always been knocked for saying "If you build it they will come." I think that's exactly what's happening at DV. Kids and families naturally want to be apart of his program. Don't blame them at all. Why not play for the hot program and one of the best coaches in the country? 

9 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

But a number of those rascals showed up at MD for football their senior year, and then left MD after the season. Were there for about half a school year, which coincided with the football season. Wasn't it just last year? 

That was not a good look at all for MD.

A terrible look for MD and is exactly why admissions will not let it happen again. If those kids would have stayed they would've spent 3 semesters at MD before graduating. Instead, they played in the big games and checked out. Not what anyone down here wants to be apart of. MD tightened up on entrance & graduation requirements which has ended up forcing a lot of players to go else where including St John Bosco. MD was embarrassed to say the least by that whole fiasco. 

14 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

I agree, I've always been knocked for saying "If you build it they will come." I think that's exactly what's happening at DV. Kids and families naturally want to be apart of his program. Don't blame them at all. Why not play for the hot program and one of the best coaches in the country? 

Samples is a really big deal in the black community. Then Joey Mcquire left Cedar Hill and went to Baylor. That dealt a big blow in where the kids went. Then Mathis left DeSoto for a few years. He's back now so maybe we will see more balance in that area again. Those schools are all really close to each other. 

• Like 1